Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer says He wouldn't Draft Dorsey

You can hate him all you want, Moloch, but the fact still remains that the Tony Dungy Tampa 2 system, which is what Lovie uses, has been rather successful as of late.

As for Balzer's opinions, yes they are opinions and "walking time bomb" was his words and his spin. However, the opinion does ring a bit of truth, does it not? The medical report shows that the tibia has not fully healed and, thusly is at a higher risk of breaking again, and possibly needs to break again before it fully heals. With the strain put on the legs of defensive tackles in the league, there's a fair chance that the "time bomb" could go off.

Does it change his intangibles or even his measureables at the time, no. And if you can be satisfied with his health now and the future for his legs, then he's definitely an elite talent and hard to pass up. However, there is the concern for future injury and if this tibia is at a high risk, that needs to be addressed. That's why we'll know much more in a few days when the fab four come to town.

I doubt that anyone in our division will get their hands on Dorsey, there's no way he lasts until the Cards' pick. And if one of them trades up to get him, fine, they can overpay to move into the top 5 and lose out on talent later on that could come at us from multiple directions.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    You can hate him all you want, Moloch, but the fact still remains that the Tony Dungy Tampa 2 system, which is what Lovie uses, has been rather successful as of late.
    Actually, it's the Monty Kiffin Cover 2- Dungy learned it from him while he was a DB coach with the Bucs. Also, when Ron Rivera was let go (he only ran the Cover 2 about 25% of the time) and replaced with lovie's lapdog Babich who runs it all the time, the Bears defense plummeted in the rankings. As for it being rather successful as of late- who would you say that was? The Colts defense is good because the Colts offense racks up so many points and forces teams to pass every down ( ala the 2001 St. Louis Rams). It's a lot easier to play the Cover 2 when you know a team is going to pass. The Colts were the 3rd overall ranked defense, but we're 15th against the run. The Bucs were the 2nd ranked defense, but we're 17th against the run. The Bucs are the only team over the past 10 yrs to run it effectively and they still played average against the run.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Name a better 4-3 defense in the league.

masonmo1 is offline Registered User

While the Ram's defense could definitely use an impact player on defense such as Dorsey, they need to insure that they draft a player that will be a cornerstone for years, or trade down. Hopefully Matt Ryan will be impressive enough that Baltimore will package their #8, 2nd, and 3rd etc picks for the Rams 2nd overall.

With the #8 overall pick the Rams should be able to select an immediate starter (ELLIS, Rivers, Gholston, Clady) and add some much need depth.

harrydog is offline Registered User

It's really a shame that Dorsey has this lingering injury. If it were not for that, I think he would probably be taken by Miami. But if he wasn't, I'd be extremely happy if the Rams took him, even over C. Long. We'd then need to take a DE (Jackson) in the 2nd round, but just envision what a defensive front we would have. It would pay dividends with improved play by our back seven as well. We'd have to wait until the 3rd to address WR but it would still help us offensively by keeping the opposing offense off the field.
    Of course Dorsey does in fact have the injury concern, so my little fantasy is not likely to happen. But I think that whoever does end up with Dorsey, will be well rewarded. Years from now, even if he does miss a season due to surgery to repair the tibia, it will long be forgotten and the teams that passed on him will wish they hadn't. That's what I see in my crystal ball.
    Of course it's a brand new crystal ball, so it hasn't been tested for accuracy yet.
    Last edited by harrydog; -04-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Actually, it's the Monty Kiffin Cover 2- Dungy learned it from him while he was a DB coach with the Bucs.
    You have a real interesting view of history, Moloch.

Dungy was only a defensive backs coach from 1989 to 1992 in Kansas City. From 92 to 96 he was the defensive coordinator for Minnesota. In 1996 Dungy was hired as the HEAD COACH of Tampa Bay. After being hired, Dungy identified who he wanted on his staff and proceeded to talk to New Orleans, a division rival, into letting him hire two of their staff to identical positions on his own staff. One of them was defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

As a side note, while in Minnesota, Dungy's cover two defense ranked number one in the league. When in Tampa, Kiffin and Dungy put some wrinkles in the cover two, making the Tampa two, which both run today, along with Chicago and Kansas City under Dungy disciples Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards, who served on Dungy's staff in Tampa.

I suggest you read Quiet Strength. You'll learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    You have a real interesting view of history, Moloch.

Dungy was only a defensive backs coach from 1989 to 1992 in Kansas City. From 92 to 96 he was the defensive coordinator for Minnesota. In 1996 Dungy was hired as the HEAD COACH of Tampa Bay. After being hired, Dungy identified who he wanted on his staff and proceeded to talk to New Orleans, a division rival, into letting him hire two of their staff to identical positions on his own staff. One of them was defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

As a side note, while in Minnesota, Dungy's cover two defense ranked number one in the league. When in Tampa, Kiffin and Dungy put some wrinkles in the cover two, making the Tampa two, which both run today, along with Chicago and Kansas City under Dungy disciples Lovie Smith and Herm Edwards, who served on Dungy's staff in Tampa.

I suggest you read Quiet Strength. You'll learn something.
    Ha ha- I got Dungy and Edwards mixed up. But the fact still remains that a majority of the time it's been implemented, it's a simplisitic, weak azz defense against the run and can get picked apart by the pass if you don't have 4 guys that can get to the QB. lovie smith softened the Rams defense up with it and larry marmie continued to drive it into the ground. The Colts defense stunk for years running the cover 2 and finally came into their own two years ago. Tampa is the only team that seems to run it consistantly every year and have success. I attribute that to Kiffin being the real genius behind the scheme- who is also able to mix his own wrinkles in. smith has shown he is incapable of running anything other than the base D and if that's not working, he stands on the sidelines with that stupid look on his face. He's a hack DC who has poor evaluation of talent and no imagination on the field. He's lived off Kiffin's success in Tampa forever.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

fftopic:

Back in the 70's .....

Players used to talk about someday making the RealRam Tough Guy list

Oh wait, is this the correct thread?

I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm off topic.

Anyways, back in the 70's .....there was this coach and some player dude that was left off of the RealRam Tough Guy list.....I think the player dude was Mel Blount and the coach was Bud Carson and the coach he came up with this cover-2 thing along with a steel curtain and they won a bunch of superbowls. I guess there was some scrawny back-up player taking notes on the bench - um, er, um - oh yeah Tony was his name Tony Dungy. Not sure what ever happened to that dude but man did he have a nice set of steno pads..... back in the 70's

:l

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

Back in the 70's .....

:l
    Good one FERTER. Nostalgic too. :bash:

...Was going to do a search right now because I already forgot where it was that I read (20 minutes ago) that Dorsey is what is considered a "traditional DT".

Maybe it's the Baby Boomer in some of us older, tough Clansmen* but I envision one Glen Dorsey or, one Chris Long as being a true, traditional DL of the 70s as you said -- of the 60s if I may go ahead.

It is long overdue that we see other Ram greats for our DL. Sure, Carriker, Long, Ryan and ??? sounds great. So great.

As I said, you got me a bit nostalgic.

*. - Some of us older tough Clansmen...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Balzer says He wouldn't Draft Dorsey-clan-axeman.jpg  

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Name a better 4-3 defense in the league.
    St Lou... no.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    smith has shown he is incapable of running anything other than the base D and if that's not working, he stands on the sidelines with that stupid look on his face.
    I've never been able to guage intellgence/schematic ability through one's facial expression. How exactly does one achieve such capabilities? What constiutes a stupid look?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I've never been able to guage intellgence/schematic ability through one's facial expression. How exactly does one achieve such capabilities? What constiutes a stupid look?

http://img.timeinc.net/time/quotes/2...ovie_smith.jpg

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't put to much stock into this lingering injury. Did anyone watch him against Ohio State this year? The man was a monster in the middle.

He didn't look too injured to me. I like Howard, had some beers and cool discussion with him. However, I don't think he's right on this one.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't put to much stock into this lingering injury. Did anyone watch him against Ohio State this year? The man was a monster in the middle.

He didn't look too injured to me. I like Howard, had some beers and cool discussion with him. However, I don't think he's right on this one.
    I agree with you Tx that Dorsey looked great against Ohio State, but when 3 different doctors from 3 different teams look at his MRI and all agree that his leg has not healed properly and needs to break again to do so, it's going to be very difficult to rationalalize using the number 2 pick on him. Maybe the medical opinion will change with the Rams team doctors, but for now it's a pretty easy call for Howard or anyone else, at least that's the way I see it.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Alright, I give. I'll still say it will be a mistake not to take him no matter what the Dr's say. Let's just go with Gholston who takes off some plays but has "god-like" combine numbers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-09-2008, 01:23 AM