Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer says He wouldn't Draft Dorsey

thing is, its not like the Rams are considering a DE over Dorsey because we dont need another DT and are desperate for a DE, Long and Gholston are very very good players in their own right. Its not like Dorsey is by far the best defensive player in the draft

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    thing is, its not like the Rams are considering a DE over Dorsey because we dont need another DT and are desperate for a DE, Long and Gholston are very very good players in their own right. Its not like Dorsey is by far the best defensive player in the draft
    Apparently there are alot of teams who think Dorsey is the best defensive player in the draft. Whether the Rams are one of those teams is not known. Any one of the "big 4" should be an upgrade, but some feel that Glen would provide the biggest impact of the group. If Glen had no question marks concerning his being the biggest impact player, we wouldn't be talking about acquiring him as the Tuna would reel him in first .. Debating the pros and cons of selecting him are fun though and keep the board lively.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Nick, all those are valid points but to me the injury isn't a major factor. It's minor. Anybody can have a hairline fracture that goes undetected for years. Most of the time it doesn't affect you physically.
    But we're not talking about anybody. We're talking about a guy we're going to give nearly $30 million in guaranteed money to. And it's not as if it went undetected for years. They've known about it for two years now and still haven't been able to heal it properly. That's not a minor factor to me.

Why not fit both Dorsey and Carriker in the line, and don't say you can't with Carriker because of technique issues. If the boy can play, he can play no matter if you stick him at NT or UT or QT.
    I didn't say it - Haslett said it. Haslett's own words were that Carriker in the long run would be a better three technique. That's not to say he can't play well at nose tackle, but drafting Dorsey means consciously moving Adam from the spot you think he's best fit for.

Hey, I'm cool with whoever we draft but I have to cast my vote for Dorsey as I think he has more to offer than just a roster spot. He brings leadership which he has exhibited at LSU. I didn't see enough of Chris Long to know if he does or not but I have watched Dorsey and he's a leader which this defense is severly lacking.
    Scott Wright on Long: "Hard worker and team leader with top-notch intangibles."

ESPN: "Never gives up on a play and his elite motor is infectious. He grew up around the game and knows what it takes to make it in the NFL. His overall intangibles and work ethic are as good as it gets."

NFL Draft Scout: "Leads by example, as well as with his voice, as the coaches encourage the younger players to emulate his great work ethic."

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The crack in his tibia isn't a career threatening injury
    Thank you for that analysis, Dr. MauiRam.

Kidding aside, we don't know what if any long-term effects are going to accompany that injury, which again adds to the risk. What if Dorsey goes to have it medically repaired but there are some kind of complications?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Personally I am not that high on Groves, but taking a DE in round two certainly won't ruin our draft.
    I didn't say it would ruin the draft. I simply pointed out that it would push back our ability to address other areas of need on this team, such as WR, which I recall Tx previously advocating for with one of our first two picks.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

And about Dorsey fitting into the line. He may be the best DT to come out of college in a very long time. Do you pass that up just because you have a guy like Ryan who has potential? I don't. Why not fit both Dorsey and Carriker in the line, and don't say you can't with Carriker because of technique issues. If the boy can play, he can play no matter if you stick him at NT or UT or QT.
    If Ryan is up to the task, the Rams could draft Dorsey and move Carriker to DE. Carriker played DE coming out of college and was compared to a Seymour type DE in a 3-4. Seems he could just as easily play DE in the 4-3.

That way you get your DT and DE in one shot.

Anyways it is a thought - if Dorsey is really all that.

:l

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    If Ryan is up to the task, the Rams could draft Dorsey and move Carriker to DE. Carriker played DE coming out of college and was compared to a Seymour type DE in a 3-4. Seems he could just as easily play DE in the 4-3.
    I'm not so sure. 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE are two vastly different positions; being able to play one does not mean a player can just as easily play the other. Jim Thomas has also come out and said that, should the Rams draft Dorsey, he'd team with Carriker to be the two starting DTs in their base defense. While he could shift outside on running or short yardage downs, I don't envision Carriker and a move to 4-3 DE as a legitimate possibility.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not so sure. 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE are two vastly different positions; being able to play one does not mean a player can just as easily play the other. Jim Thomas has also come out and said that, should the Rams draft Dorsey, he'd team with Carriker to be the two starting DTs in their base defense. While he could shift outside on running or short yardage downs, I don't envision Carriker and a move to 4-3 DE as a legitimate possibility.
    You could be right.

Personally I like Chris Long with the pick.

However - I think the former high school QB, Carriker, has enough athletic ability to make the switch. He held his own at NT last season. Not many gave him much chance when he was asked to make that switch.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

That way you get your DT and DE in one shot.

Anyways it is a thought - if Dorsey is really all that.

Ferter, I love you for making that comparison, because I think it's true as well, and it makes my argument really easy.

Seymour plays DE in the Pats 3-4, and then slides into the UT position when they play 4-3. They bring up a rush linebacker to play DE and they generally replace the other DE with a faster one than their starter to pair up with Vince Wilfork.

The fact is, a defensive end that weighs 300+ isn't going to be a pass rush threat, and so, while Carriker will get his sacks, it'll be by pushing through the interior of the offensive line and by never giving up on a play.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Well, according to Jim Thomas, the Rams aren't concerned about Dorsey's health and it won't play a factor with his draft stock. What does this tell me? He passed their physical at the pro day but will obviously be re-evaluated again on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday with him coming along with McFadden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Well, according to Jim Thomas, the Rams aren't concerned about Dorsey's health and it won't play a factor with his draft stock.
    Link?

Because in his April 8th chat, Thomas said, "And on that subject (Dorsey's leg injury), opinions are all over the map." He also said, "I believe Dorsey is in the Rams' top 3, again, assuming the Rams have no serious health concerns."

He passed their physical at the pro day
    I wasn't aware they did any medical checks at his pro day...? I hadn't seen any reported anywhere.

RooRam Guest

Chris Long would be my pick,he will be a great player.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Like I said, it's gonna be Chris Long because I want Dorsey. I never get what I want. I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User
    Link?

Because in his April 8th chat, Thomas said, "And on that subject (Dorsey's leg injury), opinions are all over the map." He also said, "I believe Dorsey is in the Rams' top 3, again, assuming the Rams have no serious health concerns."
    Jim Thomas Conversation

He says it just before the half way point of it, so start it from about one quarter length in. He also mentions how he thinks when its all said and done Dorsey and McFadden will top the Rams board.

I wasn't aware they did any medical checks at his pro day...? I hadn't seen any reported anywhere.
    Dorsey Medical Report

LSU went out of its way to clear up any questions about Dorsey's injury history, which includes a knee problem last season and a stress fracture in 2006. LSU made its athletic trainer and team orthopedic doctor available. They also had medical reports on Dorsey available from five independent orthopedic doctors. The Rams will have their own doctors examine Dorsey during his pre-draft visit to Rams Park April 13-14. - Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Like I said, it's gonna be Chris Long because I want Dorsey. I never get what I want. I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Don't forget to tell those kids to get off your lawn. They'll trample your garden!

Jim Thomas Conversation

He says it just before the half way point of it, so start it from about one quarter length in. He also mentions how he thinks when its all said and done Dorsey and McFadden will top the Rams board.
    Fair enough.

It should be noted, though, that a day later in this chat, Thomas said, "But the X-factor is Dorsey's health. The Rams keep saying or intimating that they're not concerned with Dorsey's stress fracture. But who knows for sure?"

Sounds like Thomas is open to the possibility that what the Rams say may not be a true reflection of what they think. That's not exactly a news flash when it comes to the draft. But consider those audio comments were made Monday, before Dorsey arrived at Rams Park for them to get an up close and personal view of him. I have a hard time believing they'd feel confident one way or another about his health before they had their chance to check him over at their facilities.

The quote says the college made their trainer and doctor available and provided reports from independent doctors, but doesn't say anything about teams actually conducting a physical at his pro day.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-09-2008, 01:23 AM