Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Agreed.

That sounds like the future scenario in my mind.

:shield:

bly32 is offline Registered User
    Dre Bly should definitely be starting alongside Williams. He can sometimes be a bit of a risk-taker, but he's always around the ball and a far better play-maker than Mcleon. Maybe Bly would've got beaten once in the Super Bowl, but he might have also made a big play that could've changed the momentum of the game. The difference between Bly and Mcleon (besides speed and awareness) is for every time each gets beat in coverage, Bly has the ability to make a play or two. I would also be comfortable with J. Buttler at nickle-back. But if Dre gets a chance to start next season, he might be among the league leaders in INTs.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ross from Ohio St

The Rams are probably looking at Derek Ross from Ohio State as a CB. Question: If the Rams realize they don't have to trade up in the first round and get a decent WR, do they trade up in the SECOND round for either Ross or Carver from Nebraska and not lose as much in compensation?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    To tell you the truth, I don't think we're that desperate for a cornerback. We'll probably sit with our position. Another possibility is that we'll take a cornerback in the first round and a receiver in the second round, because there are many quality receivers in the draft but no stand-alone studs.

P.S.-That's Craver from Nebraska.

:shield:

Ooops. Thanks Evil. Hey, I was looking out after your blackshirts. One thing you do get from most Nebraska players, albeit the "one" I won't mention is a highly weighted average one, is a very solid football player. Technically sound.

PFW's mock draft has Robert Thomas, MLB out of UCLA, falling all the way down to us at our normal second round position. Not a bad pick, but has he tailed off in the combines or something?

Last edited by DJRamFan; -03-27-2002 at 01:16 AM.

YodaRam Guest
    McCleon sucks in the clutch! It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him go. But we're probably stuck with him for another year so support him as a Ram!

will is offline Registered User
    We're paying Dexter too much to slot him as a nickel corner. Butler would serve adequately as a 4th corner and we could take a corner on the first day of the draft.

Ideally, though, the corner that we draft would have some time to learn the NFL and get used to the speed of the game before we threw him into playing every day.

I still don't trust Dexter and think the Rams would be better off playing Bly ahead of him on the Depth Chart, but that still leaves the Rams with a $2.1 million nickel corner.

Tough to justify that given the current cap situation.

ZOLTAN is offline Registered User

Angry

BLY32 has got it nailed. Mcleon would be fine in the nickel package. Everyone gets burned now and then but poor old Dex gets toasted when it really counts. I hate to complain about him. I know he played his butt off for us last year.:confused:

ILRamfan is offline Registered User
    You have to give Dex one thing, he's very durable. He's rarely injured, he hangs in there all day long even when he gets burned. I think he needs to hit a little harder when the opposing receivers get their hands on the ball. We need a guy who'll punish the opposing wide outs.

BamRam is offline Registered User
    I agree with Bly32 100%. Bly's ability to make momentum changing plays more than makes up for his risk taking. One other problem I have with McLeon is his tackling. Some games he makes the routine plays but then there are other games when he misses tackle after tackle (the first Philly game last year was a prime example). Not knowing which McLeon will show up adds pressure to the defense and can wreck a defensive game plan.

huntdux is offline Registered User

Sheppard?

I may be wrong, but I think Sheppard's been gone for a while now. He's missing from both the roster and depth chart on the Rams website. I believe he was released right after the Texans draft was over. Personally, I also support moving Dre' to #1 CB. Definitely a better playmaker, and he makes them pay when they throw at him.

Moosey56 is offline Registered User
    If you are going to the trouble of moving Dex to the nickel back, you might as well trage him. He is awful expensive for the nickel package. Yes, Dre' would make a great starter! If we get rid of Dex we will need to draft another DB in the Second Round!
    There is no dark side, its all dark ............

BamRam is offline Registered User
    I don't care how much $$ a player is making. If there is another player who can do the job better then he should play. Ask Mark Fields. Having said that I understand the point about paying a Nickel Back that kind of money. But all things being equal, I'd rather over pay a Nickel Back who can help the team than pay the same $$ on a CB who continually gets burned.

BamRam

Moosey56 is offline Registered User
    So why not trade him for draft picks or a younger player?
    There is no dark side, its all dark ............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast