RamWraith is offline Registered User

Banged-up Dane Looker perseveres for St. Louis Rams

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Plucky wide receiver Dane Looker deserves a shout-out from all Rams fans. Looker, who is in his eighth NFL season, seems to be in a battle every summer to land a roster spot, and yet he always does. That certainly was the case this year, after the Rams spent two of their first four draft picks on WRs Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton.

Again, Looker beat the odds and made the team. Now, let’s take a look at his season:

*Looker caught at least one pass in each of the first four games, averaging a solid 18 yards per reception.

*He suffered a concussion in Week 4, vs. Buffalo, and a CAT scan revealed a rare abnormality in his brain that was diagnosed as a dolichoectatic artery, which means that it’s slightly larger and longer than normal.

*Over the next four weeks, Looker was among the inactives three times and played sparingly in the other game. As Avery, Burton and Derek Stanley emerged, Looker was shoved out of the picture.

*Still, Looker persevered in practice, even playing in the secondary with the scout team, before getting back into action Nov. 19 vs. the Jets. He caught two passes in that game and two the next week at San Francisco, including a 2-yard TD grab.

*In the past two games, Looker has totaled a team-leading 10 catches for 98 yards.

“Ever since the Jets game, I’ve been more involved. I just got a few more balls today,” he said after Sunday’s 16-12 loss to the Dolphins. Looker had six receptions, the second-highest total of his career and the most since he caught eight passes vs. the Giants in 2005.

With 20 catches for 235 passes, Looker is on pace for the second-most-productive season of his career.

Looker, 32, has been nursing a sore knee. Coach Jim Haslett reported Monday that he also suffered hand and thumb injuries Sunday. “He’s got a little bit of everything,” Haslett quipped. But, typically, Looker is expected to practice Wednesday and be ready to go Sunday at Arizona.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Ever-improving Victor Adeyanju recorded seven tackles Sunday — highest among the Rams’ defensive linemen — and had two QB pressures.

*With two more Sunday, S Oshiomogho Atogwe has forced seven fumbles this year.

*For Antonio Pittman to establish himself as a suitable backup for Steven Jackson, he must become a better pass-catcher. Pittman dropped both balls thrown his way vs. the Dolphins.

*Daniel Fells had three catches and is emerging as the top receiving TE on the squad.

*P Donnie Jones leads the NFL in gross average (49.7 yards) and is No. 3 (but first in the NFC) in net average (40.7). “I do think he’s a Pro Bowler,” Haslett said Monday.

All for now . . .

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Banged-up Dane Looker perseveres for St. Louis Rams

I really didn't think Looker was going to make the squad this year, but he did, and man, I'm glad we kept him. He's working hard, playinghard, and not giving up, which is all you can ask a guy to do.

Jockelite is online now Registered User

Against the Phins he helped us on thrid downs alot, good WR... Plays his heart out.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Scrappy. Each year I don't predict him to make the squad, and he still does. I think he stays next year too, and Stanley pushes Dante Hall out the door.

How about Atowge with 7 forced fumbles this year? He needs to be signed. NOW.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Scrappy. Each year I don't predict him to make the squad, and he still does. I think he stays next year too, and Stanley pushes Dante Hall out the door.

How about Atowge with 7 forced fumbles this year? He needs to be signed. NOW.
    Looker is the type of player we need on this team to help us return to glory, we need more guys who are willing to work hard & give 100% on every play.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

That's why it's time for a new QB................Looker.....maybe!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont disagree with any of the positive sentiment regarding looker. However, i still think he should be on the bench so Burton can get more experience. Looker has very limited bordering on no upside at all for the future of this team, given his age, size and speed (or lack thereof). He is a GREAT role player on a contending team, but not a guy who should be taking snaps away from the kids on what can only be described as a MAJOR reclamation and rebuilding project (ie the Rams). The giants could really use a guy like Looker, he could give them a real SHOT IN THE ARM, no pun intended.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

theodus69 is offline Registered User

well why aren't the kids playing then. He must show the heart not many on this team have..................hhmmmm.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    well why aren't the kids playing then. He must show the heart not many on this team have..................hhmmmm.
    The coaches are as good as fired anyway. Do you honestly think you would be working for the betterment of an organization's future if you knew they were firing you in month?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The coaches are as good as fired anyway. Do you honestly think you would be working for the betterment of an organization's future if you knew they were firing you in month?

I would be stealing office supplies. In this case, jerseys, helmets, projectors, etc.

This would be quite the job for looting.