RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bar set for Pace

Ogden (Ravens) signed a new 7 year contract last night. This should be good news for Pace and Ram fans, as this will give a pretty good bench mark for the team. I am diligently waiting to see the numbers, as they haven't been released yet.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here ya go

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3119658

Jonathan Ogden, an All-Pro offensive tackle for the past four seasons, has agreed in principle to a new six-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens worth an inflated $50 million, a league source said.

Ogden, who is currently in his ninth pro season, most likely will earn $34 million over the next four seasons, or $8.5 million a season, tops in the NFL.
    The deal should allow the seven-time Pro Bowler to finish his career with the Ravens.

"I'm just glad it's done," Ogden said after signing the deal late Thursday afternoon, according to the Ravens' Web site. "I don't have to think about it anymore, not that I was overly concerned about it before, but now, it's off my mind."

The Ravens faced a $17.3 million salary cap number on Ogden for next season, consequently it was in the club's best interest to strike a new deal with the game's most-dominant offensive lineman. Ogden, the fourth player chosen in the 1996 draft out of UCLA, was named to the all-rookie team in his first season. He has been a Pro Bowl selection for seven consecutive years.

If a new contract wasn't afforded Ogden, there was a chance the Ravens might have allowed him to become an unrestricted free-agent. However, Ogden preferred to finish his career with the Ravens.

Ogden is the second Ravens stalwart to sign a long-term deal this season. Cornerback Chris McAlister signed a seven-year contract earlier this month, and the team now has all eight of its 2003 Pro Bowlers signed through 2005.

"I think there's been a commitment within the organization over the last two years to retain our players," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. "Getting J.O. is just another sign of us trying to do that."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bar set for Pace

Ok Big O, it's time to get that new long-term contract all signed and tucked away. And just so you remember...
    Ogden, who is currently in his ninth pro season, most likely will earn $34 million over the next four seasons, or $8.5 million a season, tops in the NFL.
    consequently it was in the club's best interest to strike a new deal with the game's most-dominant offensive lineman.
    ...so don't try hanging on to some Postonesque hallucination that you should get twice as much (or even as much, IMO). If the Rams match Ogden's deal, then you should consider it more than fair and cash your new fat paycheck.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=RamWraith]Ogden (Ravens) signed a new 7 year contract last night. This should be good news for Pace and Ram fans, as this will give a pretty good bench mark for the team. I am diligently waiting to see the numbers, as they haven't been released yet.[/QUOTE
    RamWraith:
    The problem with Orlando (Fatboy) Pace is not that he didn't have a "pretty good benchmark" for these last few years. Note that Mr. Ogdon has been under a valid(signed) contract for years now. This new one is just a re-working of his prior contract. I do, however, remain guardedly optimistic that now that the Poston cabal is out of the picture, possibly Mr. Pace will start to become more reasonable in his demands. Or does he (Fatboy) really believe he is that much better than J. Ogdon? Only time will tell!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's interesting that it was signed last night, while Ogden was injured and not playing. Perhaps his injury made it more of a priority.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!