throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Barrett Jones?

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Barrett Jones?

Barrett Jones was a 4th round pick last year, basically was redshirted this past year. He's been rehabbing his foot and working the books and weight room (I assume).

Does anybody, NICK or others, have any information on this young man?

I think he represents a sneaky extra addition to this team for the coming season, if he's put his work in. Perhaps he becomes the long term answer at OC, or can play OG this year, or spends the coming season as a flexible use OL for depth.

I would sure appreciate any and all info anybody has on him.

I personally would have expected to hear a ton about how great he's doing and what great expectations are heaped upon him. This would make sense to me in order to deflect from any Ram drafting need for a mid round OG.

Semper Fi!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Barrett Jones?

Yes, it would be great to find 'great' news about BJ.

"Oh, Barrett, where art thou."

I too hope this youngster has been working well behind the scenes / behind the stage and comes in determined to fulfill the expectations most of us had from him last year.

Sure wouldn't mind if he's our select OL 'sleeper' and turns into a good, reliable, steady-learning-curve player.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

He'll compete with whoever's in TC, he looks rather small in that picture above so let's hope his body adjusts to NFL standards. I fully expect him to take a significant number of snaps in the preseason and at least be a role player in the regular season.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

kman is offline Registered User

all I ever hear is how he needs to hit the weight room...he needs to step up this year..i would think 3-4 months of weightroom training esp. when they have pro trainers there should get this guy up t speed..its almost as mind boggling as quick not picking up the offense by now

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    all I ever hear is how he needs to hit the weight room...he needs to step up this year..i would think 3-4 months of weightroom training esp. when they have pro trainers there should get this guy up t speed..its almost as mind boggling as quick not picking up the offense by now
    What part of "he was recovering from an injury" do you not understand?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    What part of "he was recovering from an injury" do you not understand?
    I don't think it's that simple. OK, maybe it's that simple in this context, but I'd like to elaborate on Jones future after healing.

I'm honestly just not sure if he's athletic enough to excel in the NFL. It was his knock coming out of college. After all, it's not like he was drafted very high. He's a top-notch intangibles guy, but not much of an athlete.

At this point, if we get solid starter snaps out of Jones, I'll be pleasantly surprised. He's got the intelligence, but we will found out very soon if he has the strength/athleticism needed to adequately block 320+ NFL DTs.

Who knows, maybe a year in the NFL weightroom, coupled with NFL coaching, will turn him into a stud. We will see, but I'm not holding my breath..
    Last edited by FestusRam; -04-21-2014 at 11:49 PM.
    live4ramin and LA Rammer like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

How did you determine he wasn't much of an athlete after playing exceptionally well at all 5 offensive line positions for Alabama? He couldn't work out for the draft, everyone knew he wasn't going to play much in year 1 because of an injury.

6'4, 307 lbs and 34 1/8" arms.
    6'5, 308 lbs and 33 3/8" arms is Jake Matthews.
    Just to put the "he's too small" analysis into perspective.

Last season Jones practices almost exclusively at RG. With the resigning of Saffold, I expect him to battle for the LG starting position.
    Richbert88 and Randart like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    How did you determine he wasn't much of an athlete after playing exceptionally well at all 5 offensive line positions for Alabama? He couldn't work out for the draft, everyone knew he wasn't going to play much in year 1 because of an injury.

Last season Jones practices almost exclusively at RG. With the resigning of Saffold, I expect him to battle for the LG starting position.
    The difference is Jake Matthews will be going against guys like Robert Quinn who weight 265 lbs and Barret Jones will be going against guys like Dontari Poe who weight 350 lbs...

THE DREAM TEAM

Randart is offline Registered User

I watched Barrett allot at Alabama being high on that team after all they were in the championship game most years he was there! He was calling the blocking with A.J. and was a stalwart on their lines blocking for some very successful RB's. I expect him to be a very good player, not sure if he will be all the way back this year but by next year he should be rolling and in premium shape. With the experiance of backing up this season hopefully getting stronger all through the year. He should be able to fill in at all the interior positions. Hope he is learing center from the coaches and Wells that will serve him for the future for sure. The more versatile he can be the more valuable he is to us! And is the guy competitive? I loved it when he and A.J. were ready to throw down cause they wanted to win so bad in the middle of a game! That is compete at its best. He is not imtimidated by anyone, love that about Barrett!
    MauiRam and Richbert88 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The difference is Jake Matthews will be going against guys like Robert Quinn who weight 265 lbs and Barret Jones will be going against guys like Dontari Poe who weight 350 lbs...
    Jones is 4 pounds lighter than Alex Mack, who is the widely viewed as the best center in the league.
    He's 3 pounds lighter than Logan Mankins, who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.
    He's 3 pounds lighter than Ben Grubbs, who who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.
    He's 4 pounds heavier than Evan Mathis, who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.

The notion that he's too small is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

I never said he was too small, I questioned his strength and athleticism. I understand he played well at Alabama, but he used his intelligence. He's a relatively limited athlete in the NFL, plain and simple.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I don't think it's that simple. OK, maybe it's that simple in this context, but I'd like to elaborate on Jones future after healing.

I'm honestly just not sure if he's athletic enough to excel in the NFL. It was his knock coming out of college. After all, it's not like he was drafted very high. He's a top-notch intangibles guy, but not much of an athlete.

At this point, if we get solid starter snaps out of Jones, I'll be pleasantly surprised. He's got the intelligence, but we will found out very soon if he has the strength/athleticism needed to adequately block 320+ NFL DTs.

Who knows, maybe a year in the NFL weightroom, coupled with NFL coaching, will turn him into a stud. We will see, but I'm not holding my breath..
    There are two things that can trump mere size, and both can be taught: technique, and leverage. Additionally stamina and strength can be increased through hard work born of desire. Barrett Jones is purported to be an extremely bright guy, so my guess is that he is working hard on the above mentioned daily.

As concerns his desire, I’ve never read anything indicating he is lacking in that department. I expect Jones if completely healthy, will claim a spot on the line sooner than later .. Scott Wells is getting up there, and Jones is his likely replacement if not this year, then the next. In the meantime, Jonesy isn't exactly bankrupting our salary cap.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Loved the Barrett Jones pickup in the 4th. Everybody knew going in that his injury would put him off a year.

It's frustrating to not get many details of his progress, but it's also expected, given he flew under the radar nearly all last year.

Team captain who can play all positions on the OL. Would love for him to excel enough to serve as a swiss army knife depth for the interior line
    MauiRam and Randart like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Jones is 4 pounds lighter than Alex Mack, who is the widely viewed as the best center in the league.
    He's 3 pounds lighter than Logan Mankins, who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.
    He's 3 pounds lighter than Ben Grubbs, who who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.
    He's 4 pounds heavier than Evan Mathis, who went to the Pro Bowl as an OG.

The notion that he's too small is laughable.
    I never said he was too small, no need to fire off.. I was simply stating a fact which may worry some.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    There are two things that can trump mere size, and both can be taught: technique, and leverage.
    I never said he wasn't big enough..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast