Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Barrett Jones?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barrett Jones?

Jones was an excellent college player in the toughest conference in the NCAA.

He was injured and "redshirted" last year.

There have been some offhand comments about him needing to get stronger.

He is apparently healthy now.

Beyond that, everyone is just guessing.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Draft Analysis:

The long-armed Jones, a four-year starter at Alabama, won the Rimington Trophy, which is given to the best center in the country, in 2012. He projects as a long-time contributor at the NFL level.

2012 Rimington and 2011 Outland Trophy winner has played every spot on the line while helping the Tide win three BCS championships in the last four years. Has spent most of his time on the interior, which is where he projects best in the NFL. While not the strongest or most athletic lineman, Jones’ versatility, intelligence and high character should get him penciled in at guard or center for the next decade in the NFL
    Lets see what he looks like after a year in the system.
    Randart likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There have been some offhand comments about him needing to get stronger.
    They're not just offhand comments. Here's a little excerpt from a Nick Wagoner article...

Jones is about a month away from the one year mark in terms of being removed from the injury. In the meantime, he's worked hard to reshape his body. Jones was able to become one of the most decorated players in college football history with outstanding technique and intelligence, but by his own admission didn't do a whole lot of lifting or working out when Alabama was in season.

"I just think I was playing so much I didn’t have as much of an opportunity to work out," Jones said. "You’re playing all the time. I worked out really hard in the offseason, but during the season it was more of a sustain kind of deal, so it’s been good to really get in there and hit it hard."

Jones has taken to spending early mornings in the Rams Park weight room, arriving before his teammates about 6:30 a.m. and putting in more than an hour on the weights before meetings begin. As for the mental side, that's never been a problem for the former four-time Academic All American, and it doesn't appear to be one now.

That's still an offhand comment. Whether it was a problem, or just an area that could use a little improvement is not clear. More than anything, he comes accross as a humble guy who has a good work ethic.

By the way, at Alabama's Pro Day last year, he had 27 reps on the bench, which would have ranked 5th out of 17 OGs at this year's Combine.

I don't know if he'll ever be a quality starter, but I find it annoying that some people (and I'm not saying you're one of them) feel that he should be heavily criticized at this point in his career.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Randart likes this.

I'm personally just giving my perspective on why I believe he might not be the plug and play LG that many seem to think he will be.

If he is, that's great, but my opinion is that it might not be that simple for him to acclimate to the NFL.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    I never said he wasn't big enough..
    No you didn't - agreed. I was referring to the fact that 320 lb plus D-linemen can be negated with refined technique and precise leverage. As to how Barrett's athleticism translates to the next level, we can only guess. My hunch is that it will. The "Swiss Army knife" analogy by Koa Koi is likely consistent with what the Rams saw in Jones as well.

kman is offline Registered User

What part of "he was recovering from an injury" do you not understand?
    and what part of hearing he has to hit the weight do you not understand? im not making that up, injury or no injury he needs to get stronger

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post

and what part of hearing he has to hit the weight do you not understand? im not making that up, injury or no injury he needs to get stronger
    Show me a report verifying your claim that he has not been hitting the weights.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

There hasn't been a report stating that Jones has been not been hitting the weights. However, Nick Wagner has mentioned a couple of times that the coaching staff want Jones to get stronger in preparation for his 2nd year.

Edit: just seen that someone has already quoted this earlier in the thread
    Last edited by TheBritishRam; -04-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    There hasn't been a report stating that Jones has been not been hitting the weights. However, Nick Wagner has mentioned a couple of times that the coaching staff want Jones to get stronger in preparation for his 2nd year.
    And therein lies the problem.

I have no doubt that the Rams, and Jones himself, have that goal.

But when certain fans read quotes like that, they translate it to "Jones is weak" or "Jones is not strong enough to succeed in the NFL." There is a big difference between saying that there is an area in need of improvement, and saying that a weakness is so pronounced that it precludes success.

In Jones' case, the issue is clouded by the fact that he sat most of 2013. However, I've seen nothing that would indicate that had Jones been healthy he would have nonetheless sat because he wasn't strong enough to handle some playing time.

I have hope for Jones based upon his success in college. We'll see soon enough if he's ready for the next level.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    “Barrett has done a real good job in the weight room, and he’s gained a lot of strength," coach Jeff Fisher said. "So, he’ll be ready to go. Obviously, he’ll know what to do and how to do it, he just hasn’t had an opportunity.”
    MauiRam likes this.

I never said he wasn't now, I said all ive heard is he needs to hit the weight room, from ALOT of people in the know..if he is now, great its about freakin time..

read my original post all I said was all I hear is he needs to hit weight room, ..u came back with a wise a$$ comment abou what part of he is hurt don't I understand...no need for that crap..u can disagree with my opinion but don't question my intelligence

However, I've seen nothing that would indicate that had Jones been healthy he would have nonetheless sat because he wasn't strong enough to handle some playing time.

I have hope for Jones based upon his success in college. We'll see soon enough if he's ready for the next level.
    I do too, but he was actually active the final three games of last season, so he was obviously healthy enough to play.

Who knows if strength played a part in his bench-riding. Maybe, maybe not. What we do know about the situation is it was stressed by coaches, and Barret himself, that he hit the weight room hard. He obviously isn't an athletic lineman, so strength will be crucial to supplement his technique.

The reason I questioned Jones in the first place is due to the fact that he was active the final three games, but sat on the bench. Williams was playing mediocre at LG, similar to Barnes at C, so I wonder why they didn't try him out. My first post was basically my assessment on why he wasn't on the field.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -04-26-2014 at 01:37 AM.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Ladies and gentlemen I think this post is going in circles a bit. rehashing the same sentence without much clarification. On the lighter side I think I'm going to take all the "I never said" "Show me the report" and "what part of"s and put them in 'My Name Is' from eminem.

whhatt part, I never said, whaatt part, I never said, whhatt part, I never said....show me the report.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast