throwback week

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Barron gets close to deal

Barron gets close to deal, sources say

BY JIM THOMAS
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/01/2005

Just when Alex Barron's absence was beginning to frustrate coach Mike Martz, it appears the Rams' first-round draft pick is on the verge of signing a contract.

On Sunday, two team sources told the Post-Dispatch that the two sides were closing in on a deal [em dash] and one source said the offensive tackle from Florida State could be in training camp today.

More than any great dispute or chasm in negotiations, the fact that very few first-round picks around Barron's draft position (No. 19 overall) had signed contracts has slowed the process.

But that changed over the weekend. By early Sunday evening, seven first-rounders, starting with defensive end DeMarcus Ware (No. 11 overall, Dallas) and ending with cornerback Fabian Washington (No. 23 overall, Oakland) had either signed contracts or agreed to terms.

Included in that group was Dallas defensive end Marcus Spears (No. 20). At No. 18, Minnesota defensive end Erasmus James reportedly was close to a deal with the Vikings.

All of which puts Barron in line for a five-year deal somewhere around $9 million.

Following Sunday morning's workout at Rams Park, Martz said Barron's continued absence is ``really unfortunate. This is my first experience as a head coach with (a rookie) not in camp, so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not very pleased with it. I think those guys get a lot of bad advice from the agents.''

Actually, only three of the seven previous first-round picks selected during Martz's tenure reported to camp on time: running back Steven Jackson (2004), linebacker Robert Thomas (2002) and running back Trung Canidate (2000).

In 2003, defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy missed five days of camp and eight full-squad practices. In 2001, when the Rams had three first-rounders, safety Adam Archuleta and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett both missed three days and five practices, while defensive tackle Damione Lewis missed two days and four practices.

Through Sunday, Barron had missed four days and seven full-squad practices. The Rams also held a special teams workout during that period.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

psycho9985 Guest

Re: Barron gets close to deal

Glad to hear that hes close to signing.

Sometimes I worry about how much heart this guy has.

Hopefully its only temporary deer in the headlights syndrome.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Great news! Thanks, HUbison.

It probably has to do more with the agent than Barron himself, but to me that is no excuse. He probably won't be there today, but if it's a possibility, that makes it very likely he'll show up within the next few.

Let's see what you got, Alex.

majorram is offline Registered User

I just read that the GREAT Jackie Slater is in camp to teach, now if it was me I would be there like a shot!!! I'm sure he will be all sign and delivered in a few days!!!

steve:clanram:
    Last edited by majorram; -08-01-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I can't wait to get Barron into camp and hear how he's doing with Slater as a mentor.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Following Sunday morning's workout at Rams Park, Martz said Barron's continued absence is ``really unfortunate. This is my first experience as a head coach with (a rookie) not in camp, so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not very pleased with it. I think those guys get a lot of bad advice from the agents.''
    Hmmmmm.......

Actually, only three of the seven previous first-round picks selected during Martz's tenure reported to camp on time: running back Steven Jackson (2004), linebacker Robert Thomas (2002) and running back Trung Canidate (2000).
    OOOPS !!

In 2003, defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy missed five days of camp and eight full-squad practices. In 2001, when the Rams had three first-rounders, safety Adam Archuleta and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett both missed three days and five practices, while defensive tackle Damione Lewis missed two days and four practices.
    Martz: Oh, yeah but, I still don't know what to tell you. Go ask Karraker and leave me the hell alone. I got jersey numbers to memorize!!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Jackie Slater!!! How About David " The Good Deacon " Jones To Give Out A Few "head-slaps" -get In Camp Rook !
    Last edited by dgr828; -08-07-2005 at 03:07 AM.