39thebeast is offline Registered User

Barron to Guard?

One of his main problems have been his inability to count. I personally think he is partially deft in his left ear and being so far from the QB is hard for him. There is also that theory that he is a first round bust, but I don't buy that for a second.

In all seriousness Barron needs to move to guard. He has had his fare amount of chances at Tackle and it looks like he has progressed then gone backwards ans is back to square 1. It has worked with first round busts like Robert Gallery and Leonard Davis who are now pro bowlers. Switching to guard has also worked with lesser known guys like Travelle Wharton. Why does this switch help guys out. Well I think the main thing is having support on your left and right. When you play tackle you are by yourself on an island. Also when Tackles switch to guard they are able to use their athleticism when they pull and can get out there to the second level. 6'7 320 in a contract year I think he should compete with Grecco for the RG spot and let someone else like a rookie or a FA man the RT spot until Pace retires.

LT- Pace
    LG- Bell
    C- Rookie/FA
    RG- Barron/ Grecco
    RT- 1st round pick

HornIt Guest

Re: Barron to Guard?

I can't see Barron as a Guard. His problems as an OT are not physical. He has all the ability to play OT and play it well. His problems are all mental and I don't think you can fix that by moving him from OT to OG.

We might see Jacob Bell tried at RT next season in Barron's place however.

d4nnystl539 Guest

I think Barron should stay where he's at.

Whatever happened to experimenting Incogniton at center? I think that move would greatly reduce the number of penalties he commits. It would also reduce Barron's mistakes because i believe Incognito's loud growling made it difficult for Barron to hear the snap count. Just a hypothesis...

Pace - Bell (Gain some weight) - Incognito - Greco - Barron/FA/Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Barron's athleticism might come in handy as a pulling guard, but I question whether he has the upper and lower body strength to win many battles on the inside. He wasn't much of a run blocker on the outside as a tackle, and consider that a move inside means he'll be going against stronger, stouter, heavier linemen.

Ultimately I'd rather see Greco get his chance at that spot and either ride Barron out for one more year or have him serve as an experienced third tackle behind Pace and the replacement RT.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We drafted Barron to play tackle and that's where he should stay. As others have pointed out, his body type is ideal for an OT not guard. Much will depend on what happens in free agency and the draft when rounding out our starting O-line for 2009. Barron, Pace, and Cogs could all be gone - one never knows with the infusion of a new coaching staff. I doubt that would happen, but the possibility exists ..

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    One of his main problems have been his inability to count. I personally think he is partially deft in his left ear and being so far from the QB is hard for him. There is also that theory that he is a first round bust, but I don't buy that for a second.

In all seriousness Barron needs to move to guard. He has had his fare amount of chances at Tackle and it looks like he has progressed then gone backwards ans is back to square 1. It has worked with first round busts like Robert Gallery and Leonard Davis who are now pro bowlers. Switching to guard has also worked with lesser known guys like Travelle Wharton. Why does this switch help guys out. Well I think the main thing is having support on your left and right. When you play tackle you are by yourself on an island. Also when Tackles switch to guard they are able to use their athleticism when they pull and can get out there to the second level. 6'7 320 in a contract year I think he should compete with Grecco for the RG spot and let someone else like a rookie or a FA man the RT spot until Pace retires.

LT- Pace
    LG- Bell
    C- Rookie/FA
    RG- Barron/ Grecco
    RT- 1st round pick
    Gallery a Pro Bowler?! I don't think so. LOL

Davis was a guard when he entered the NFL & is a lot bigger & more powerful than Barron whose best assets are his wingspan & good feet.

Yes, we need to get bigger @ OG & eliminating Barron's penalties would be great-either by better coaching or trade/replacement but I don't see his somewhat passive nature and lack of physical bulk as the answer @ OG.

I'm just guessing, of course, but I see his false starts as an indication that the guy knows he isn't strong enough to stop the bullrush of a DE unless he gets the first step/leverage on him, not because he can't hear the snap count. At OG, you don't have the "luxury" of guiding your opponent to the outside of the pocket with footwork and long arms and he's too tall to use leverage to negate the strength/power of most DTs.