RamWraith is offline Registered User

Barron has early struggles

Posted By Randy Karraker--
    Martz said Barron was "a little bit overwhelmed" both physically and mentally, so he was held out of most of the second half of it. Martz says they'll nurse him back.

Barron appeared overwhelmed...talked about the difficulty of the pace of practice and of moving to the right side, plus learning all the new stuff. That being said, Dan Dierdorf told me he called home during his first training camp and told his parents that he couldn't do it, that he wasn't going to make the team. Then he went on to a Pro Bowl career.

No Incognito or Atogwe because of school. Archuleta and Williams were held out. You saw the Isaac post below...nothing to worry about there.

As has been mentioned the Rams are a lot bigger on both lines than they used to be. Tucker, Terrell, Alford and Saipaea are all very large men, and both Pickett and Kennedy look more fit than they did at the beginning of camp last year.

The staff is really excited about Kennedy.

Turley is "an administrative matter" according to Martz. Sounds like they're just waiting for official word that he's failed the physical.

Coaches and players say the defense is way ahead of last year, Coakley and Claiborne have picked it up, Pisa (who's healthy now) knows it and the D-line has a full understanding of where they're supposed to be.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Barron has early struggles

Encouraging news about the defense, though I can't wait to hear how Atogwe does whenever he's allowed to participate.

Not too worried about Barron. It's his first real chance to play with professionals. He's got several months to pick everything up.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Great News Thanks For The Update,wouldnt Get To Worried About Barron,he Will Get Better The More He Practices,remember The Offense He Plays In,also Defense Sounds Better Already.

general counsel Guest

Hopefully, no one will post something to the effect that Jamaal Brown wouldnt have had these type of problems.

The adjustment for a rookie to life in the nfl in general, let alone the pace of rams practice, is just huge. Men against boys.

The kid will be fine, just give him time.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think anyone expected Barron to pick things up immediately on his first day, so I'm not shocked by the news that he's had some problems. Now, hopefully we don't get these kind of reports in August during pre-season games.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Nick, i agree with you conceptually, but all kidding aside, we cant expect miracles. There will be a learning curve with barron, like all rookies. he will improve consistently as the pre season, regular season etc progress. Before the playoffs roll around, he will be a completely different player than he is right now, we just cant expect it to happen without some high points and some low points. Hopefully, none of the low points will come with a game on the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I'm not expecting miracles, just some form of progress between now and the start of the season. I don't mind hearing this kind of news now, but if we're hearing the exact same thing in two months, it won't be pleasing.

general counsel Guest

agree 100% nick, what is important is that he makes slow steady progress one day at a time. I hope that following mini camp, he realizes how much work he has ahead of him and really busts his butt to be more prepared for training camp. Furthermore, i hope to god he signs promptly, becuase a hold out even for a day would be very very bad news and would hurt his development in a material way in the short run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

At least he's at camp and not sitting at home. I've got to assume that's a good sign that he plans on inking a deal, but I agree - I'd feel better if it was out of the way already.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully, no one will post something to the effect that Jamaal Brown wouldnt have had these type of problems.
    Brown and his shoe-size Wonderlic score would still be looking for Missouri on a map.
    I think Barron will be fine. We all knew going in there was no way for a rookie to develop any comfort on this O-line in one mini-camp. In fact, I don't see him showing any signs of comfort until at least the middle of the season, if not later.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Barron is going to struggle and it will be fine. I don't expect him to be really ready to play by the time the season opens, but he will learn and he will be able to handle it. Bulger can scramble and get rid of the ball. The line will take some time to gel this year. There are too many changes for them to have it together right away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Leonard Little and Orlando Pace will teach him a thing or two come training camp.