throwback week

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Barron has me worried

I was just watching NFL Playbook on the NFL channel and they were breaking down our line play against Carolina last week. They showed every play where our line got schooled and let Panthers thru to Bulger. Brown had a few which didn't surprise me. Romberg got schooled once which wasn't too bad. They showed at least 3 plays where Barron's man just blew past him and was all over Bulger. Switching him over to LT is gonna make it even worse. It's gonna be a LONG day for Bulger on Sunday...maybe he should borrow Warner's flak jacket....

BigGameMN Guest

Re: Barron has me worried

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I was just watching NFL Playbook on the NFL channel and they were breaking down our line play against Carolina last week. They showed every play where our line got schooled and let Panthers thru to Bulger. Brown had a few which didn't surprise me. Romberg got schooled once which wasn't too bad. They showed at least 3 plays where Barron's man just blew past him and was all over Bulger. Switching him over to LT is gonna make it even worse. It's gonna be a LONG day for Bulger on Sunday...maybe he should borrow Warner's flak jacket....
    Interesting. That is in such stark contrast to what so many were saying about Barron's play, about silencing Peppers and such. I thought he did really good, not great but really good. I'll have to tivo NFL Playbook when it repeats and watch the plays they were talking about.

Country Guest

If a guy only gets beat three times and still gives up 0 sacks vs. the best defensive player in the league Julius Peppers that is not half bad.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I've got to believe there is some planning in place to have the backs help Barron out.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This seems to reflect the contrast in perception vs. reality when it comes to Barron. Many Rams fans talk about how good of a tackle Barron is and how he just needs to get his false starts under control to truly be dominant. The fact of the matter is he allowed quite a bit of pressure last season, including nearly nine sacks over the course of the year. It doesn't surprise me that the film tells a different story than the fan account of Barron's play; that's been the case for the last year or so now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Maybe that is why we got another TE, don't know if his specialty is blocking though...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Those plays that Barron broke contain on were all running plays. He excels in pass blocking. This is far more important on the left side ....

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hold up.

Before you press the PANIC button, it's impportant that we consider two things.

1) It was the FIRST GAME. Of course there are still going to be some lumps.

2) Let's look at who he played against- The single most dominant Left defensive end of the last two or three years, Mr Julius Peppers. The fact that he was handled 1 on 1 by Barron suggests to me that he has indeed made vast improvement.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont remeber hearing Peppers name once all game long so I think Barron did just fine. Alson Jackson was running great to Barrons side of the field which also tells me Barron was doing fine. I dont remember seeing Bulger get hit from Barrons side it was either up the middle or after Pace went out from the left side of the line. All I heard about going into the Rams-Panthers game was how great Peppers was and then he was the invisable man the whole game. How many right tackles can say that when facing Peppers?
    Just Fix It

RamOfDenmark Guest

I would love to see the replay, because watching the game (although obviously not always concentrating on Barron) I didn't see many mistakes - he seemed to shut down Peppers and anyone else coming from that side, even without the usual amount of penalties. He looked good to me. Barron at LT is at the very bottom of my list of worries this week, I'm just glad they decided to move him over, I think we'll be glad they did. If he can continue not getting flagged I think he could have a very good season.

helorm341 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post

Getting beat three times by the best DE in the game is a good outing in my book, exspecially if he didn't allow a sack.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've gone back and watched the first half video, and Barron's job performance is solid IMO. The perception is that he's going against Julius Peppers on every play, thus making his play even more impressive. However that's not entirely the reality of the situation.

I counted 22 first half drop backs by the Rams, including sacks, scrambles, and penalties. On 12 of those plays - over half - Peppers is either being blocked by a tight end, he's dropped back into coverage, or Barron is simply not going against Peppers but another player. So right off the bat, Barron isn't going against Peppers for half of the first half offensive plays.

Through the first four drives of the game, Barron and Peppers only went head to head four times. Two of them came on the first drive, both well blocked by Barron though Peppers was slowed on one which was play action. I threw out the touchdown pass from consideration since it was a quick hit and there wasn't enough time for either of them to make a significant play on the line there. There were two instances on the fourth drive, one of which where Peppers turned inside on Barron and was engulfed by other blockers, and the second where Barron lost to Peppers, forcing Bulger to scramble out of the pocket for a run.

The fifth and final drive of the half was our two minute drill and contained five instances of the two of them colliding head to head. On the first instance, Barron was significantly pushed back into the pocket by Peppers. On the second, Peppers got fairly close to Bulger, who was in a shotgun. It seemed Barron was trying to reroute him and take him around the pocket, but that kind of tactic didn't work as well since Bulger was already dropped back a bit. On the next two instances, Barron handled Peppers well one on one, and the final instance was a designed cut block that was semi-successful.

So there were both wins and losses in that battle in the first half alone, and a slim majority of the time Barron wasn't going head to head against Peppers in the first place. There were five times in the first half alone where Peppers was either facing a tight end or inside line opposition when getting to the quarterback. This is why in the case of linemen it's important to go back and rewatch the game, keeping an eye only on them. The perception seems to be that Barron just shut down Peppers, but the review tells a slightly different story.

I'll probably look over the second half later today and see if I can find similar results or if Barron improves/declines in his play against Peppers after halftime. If I find anything significant, I'll post those findings as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

A national audience received a taste of what's to come for WVU football as freshman running back Noel Devine tore through the Maryland defense Thursday night.

Nick you guys look like the real deal…

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

On the NFL Network today there was a 1 hour show the NFC matchups for this Sunday.
    Brian Baldingerbentfinger and Sterling Sharp are the hosts. Both men give their predictions on NFC games. So naturally when they got to the RAMS vs Whiners game I was all eyes and ears. Their predictions for our game are split BB picked Whiners and SS picked Rams. BB actually went with the Whiners because of our O-line being banged up and the need for Barron to move from right tackle to left tackle. They showed some of the highlights from our game last Sunday vs the Panthers. BB focused in on Barron and showed how Barron is always standing up to straight. BB says Barron needs to get his pads a little lower to more effective.

FYI