Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Barron moves to left tackle

BY Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, Apr. 03 2009
    If the Rams' first new left tackle in 13 years is anxious about the assignment,
    he isn't showing it.

"It is what it is," Alex Barron shrugged after the second of two minicamp
    practices Thursday. "I'll go over there and see if I can work some kinks out. I
    haven't been over there in a while, and I'm a little rusty. I've just got a lot
    of things to work on."

The all-important spot on the offensive line — the left tackle is charged with
    protecting a right-handed quarterback's blind side — opened when Orlando Pace
    was released March 10. Pace, the No. 1 overall selection in the 1997 draft and
    a seven-time Pro Bowler, agreed to terms with the Chicago Bears on Thursday.

"We're going to miss him," said Barron, the Rams' first-round draftee in 2005.
    "He was a great player for many years around here. He helped me a lot when I
    came in; he was a great teacher."

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Barron lined up mostly on the left side at Florida
    State. He also played there after Pace went down with a season-ending shoulder
    injury in the first game of the 2007 season.

Moving from right to left is more challenging than some might think, Barron
    noted. "The techniques are just totally opposite; it's technique and mind-set,"
    he said. "You get caught doing stuff you did on the right side, and you can't
    do that."

New coach Steve Spagnuolo stressed that the job isn't Barron's yet. "That's
    just how we began the process," Spagnuolo said. "We're going to evaluate as we
    go."

Jacob Bell, the starting left guard last year, is expected to get the first
    shot at filling Barron's spot on the right side. But Adam Goldberg was at right
    tackle Thursday.

AVERY IS TOP WIDEOUT

Second-year pro Donnie Avery, who suddenly is the team's No. 1 wideout, was
    enthused by the first day of practice under Spagnuolo. "Great new coach, great
    new (assistant) coaches, great new system," Avery said. "It's just exciting."

Avery caught 53 passes for 674 yards and three touchdowns last year after the
    Rams made him their second-round draft pick and the first wide receiver taken.
    When Torry Holt was released March 13, Avery moved to the top of the depth
    chart.

"Every year teams rebuild, and that's what we're doing right now," he said.
    "I'm just doing what I did last year, going out there and practicing hard,
    taking every play hard, and just going with it."

FULL ROSTER IN CAMP

All 69 players listed on the roster were present. That included free safety
    Oshiomogho Atogwe, designated as the team's franchise player, and defensive end
    Victor Adeyanju and guard Richie Incognito, who are restricted free agents.
    Those three technically are not under contract with the Rams.

Their attendance "says a lot about the character of the person, and I've
    already conveyed that to those guys," Spagnuolo said. "I think it's a great
    thing."

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams have scheduled three more predraft visits: Southern California
    quarterback David Sanchez, Fresno State quarterback Thomas Brandstater and
    Richmond defensive end-linebacker Lawrence Sidbury. ... Two more practices are
    scheduled for today at Rams Park. A final workout Saturday morning will wrap up
    minicamp.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Barron moves to left tackle

All 69 players listed on the roster were present. That included free safety
    Oshiomogho Atogwe, designated as the team's franchise player, and defensive end
    Victor Adeyanju and guard Richie Incognito, who are restricted free agents.
    Those three technically are not under contract with the Rams.
    WOW!

Guys, I hope this paragraph isn't lost in the shuffle. Those three guys, none of which are under contract, showed up to play. That is HUGE, from my perspective.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Talk about contrasting soundbites regarding new challenges.....

On one hand you have the enthusiasm of a player that is ready & willing to step up.
    Donnie Avery, who suddenly is the team's No. 1 wideout, was
    enthused by the first day of practice under Spagnuolo. "Great new coach, great
    new (assistant) coaches, great new system," Avery said. "It's just exciting."
    Agreed. Very exciting.

On the other hand you have the response expected from one who has shown little desire to ever step up to meet a challenge.
    "It is what it is," Alex Barron shrugged
    Truly awe-inspiring, Alex.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Truly awe-inspiring, Alex.
    Just another day in the life of the McDonald's fry cook, eh? Anyone still have hope this guy will reach his potential. Sadly, maybe he has already.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I hope Spags kisks him in the behind and lights some fire in that belly! Come on Alex please dont be another wasted draft choice. He has all the physical tools to excel, he just has to get motivated.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

On the other hand you have the response expected from one who has shown little desire to ever step up to meet a challenge. Truly awe-inspiring, Alex.
    I'm with you HUb, Barron's comment doesn't exactly inspire confidence. An LT can make or break an offense and here's a guy who is basically saying he's not sure if he's up for the task. Way to show the new coaching staff what you're made of Alex......

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, I don't think he would ever win the best locker room inspirational speech award.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Just another day in the life of the McDonald's fry cook, eh? Anyone still have hope this guy will reach his potential. Sadly, maybe he has already.
    I hope not...isn't it a contract year...that wouldn't be sad, more like pathetic.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Talk about contrasting soundbites regarding new challenges.....

On one hand you have the enthusiasm of a player that is ready & willing to step up. Agreed. Very exciting.

On the other hand you have the response expected from one who has shown little desire to ever step up to meet a challenge. Truly awe-inspiring, Alex.

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read the first paragraph. That's just disgusting to read.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope Barron can play good. Now, I want a new OT, but if Barron can play the position, we can work for something us, and allow Greco or Goldberg to play RT. Who knows, it might work out.

Avery is going to be good this year. He was good last year. I still think we need a few more WR's on the team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Wow, with all due respect, trying to derive the emotional state of a written quote is just a tad bit out there, no? Everybodies personality is different - saying he is not excited, or beaten, or unprepared to make the move just isn't realistic ...

He sounded like someone who knew he had a big task in front of him. He seemed bummed that Orlando was gone, other than that, I really didn't take anything from it. What exactly was he supposed to say ...

"Man, I am glad the old fat bum Orlander is out of here so I can be the best LT the league has ever seen. Making this transition will be lickedy-splity simply easy, pardner ..."

Looks likes a non-issue to me ...

Rambos is online now Registered User

"It is what it is," Alex Barron shrugged
    New coach Steve Spagnuolo stressed that the job isn't Barron's yet!!!!
    We have to take an OL man with the second pick. Still not sure why we cut Pace.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We have to take an OL man with the second pick. Still not sure why we cut Pace.
    Because he's old, just slightly above average, and not the pillar you want when rebuilding ...

And considering Devaney himself just said on NFL Network that we have the key components in place with "Steven Jackson, Bulger, and Barron", I am thinking that those closer to the situation have alot more confidence in Barron than those on this Barron. Barron had his best season manning the left side of the line and that was with NO offseason preparation ...

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    "Man, I am glad the old fat bum Orlander is out of here so I can be the best LT the league has ever seen. Making this transition will be lickedy-splity simply easy, pardner ..."

I didn't know Barron talked southern style.

The guys that see this as not being inspiring might not be seeing the intention of the club maybe Barron was told what to say by the front office for one of the two following reasons.

1. Maybe the front office said Alex we really want to replace you but a lot of fans think you could be a decent LT. We need you to act unmotivated, unsure about yourself, and very unenthusiastic. Barrons response "okay".

2. Maybe the front office said Alex we really want everyone to think we want an OT so act like you are not one. Barrons response "on two or three coach". Coaches response "perfect". Barrons response "whats perfect coach". Coach "never mind on second thought be yourself".
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-04-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Wow, with all due respect, trying to derive the emotional state of a written quote is just a tad bit out there, no? Everybodies personality is different - saying he is not excited, or beaten, or unprepared to make the move just isn't realistic ...

He sounded like someone who knew he had a big task in front of him. He seemed bummed that Orlando was gone, other than that, I really didn't take anything from it. What exactly was he supposed to say ...

Personally, I would have liked to read a response more along these lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron
    I'm excited about moving to LT. Protecting Marc's blindside is a huge responsibility and I welcome the opportunity to prove I'm up for it. I thank Orlando for all the help he has given me over the years, and I wish him well. But now, it's time for me to step up and make this line and the offense overall one of the best in the league. Steven will lead the league in rushing behind me, and nobody touches Marc from the left this year. Nobody!
    That would give me a better feeling than...
    It is what it is.
    And I think Barron's history would lend itself more to the notion of my concerns than not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast