Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Barron is no-show at Rams practice

August 11, 2005

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Rams first-round draft pick Alex Barron was a
    no-show at Thursday's practice, one day after signing a five-year
    contract.

Coach Mike Martz was not pleased with the situation.

``I have no idea where he is or what he's doing or if he's coming in
    September or October or November, who knows?'' Martz said. ``I don't
    know what to expect. If the kid really wanted to be here, he'd be
    here. I'm upset with the whole thing.''

A phone message was left for Barron's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, seeking comment.

Barron ended a two-week training camp holdout Wednesday and signed a contract.

As a senior at Florida State, the offensive tackle was one of three
    finalists for the Outland Trophy, which recognizes the country's top
    college offensive lineman. He was taken 19th overall in April by St.
    Louis.

Martz had said he did not expect Barron to be a starter by the
    beginning of the season. Martz gave Barron the job shortly after the
    draft, but demoted him to second team after the rookie struggled in a
    minicamp.

He has also been critical of the agent, saying he thought Barnes was
    placing his own interests over the need to get the player to practice.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 11, 2005 5:03 pm EDT

Re: Barron is no-show at Rams practice

Boy, I hope there is a good reason for this one

fleet69 Guest

Dez, you beat me by 1 minute with this news. :bow:

Not sure how many people expected him to be there today. Thought Sunday was more realistic, especially if Barron was still in Florida.

LOL, and here I am sitting in a hotel in Northern Ireland LOL

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fleet69
    Not sure how many people expected him to be there today. Thought Sunday was more realistic, especially if Barron was still in Florida.
    Yeah, exactly. The Rams have a preseason game Friday, no practice Saturday. From what I read last night after he signed, the general consensus was that he wouldn't be there to practice today, but might arrive in town today. Now suddenly when he isn't there, it's supposed to be a big story. Frankly, I'm not concerned. Come to me if he's not there by Sunday or Monday.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AugustaRamFan Guest

I just do not like the feel of this. Martz's dog house is big, dark and long.....and - he never forgets!

AB has a huge amount of angst to overcome as well as a large mental and technical challenge.

Did Martz over hype this guy from the onset? Maybe we are expecting too much from the young lad.

Maybe, his agent needs an ego check...

maineram Guest

Reports were that he had left tallahassee and was in South Carolina on Wed. before signing. Martz was BEEcthing that his agent ought to have him in St. Lou if negotiations were close. He signs Wed. and he's in SC.
    For one I'm surprised that Martz didn't call him to welcome him to the team and see where he was and what his plan was to get ot St. Lou. But I'm also surprised that Barron didn't call and get the skinny on his newly signed obligations. Hmmmmm.... maybe Martz pissed off more than the agent in the last week or so ???

Maineram -

rampete Guest

the fact that barron probably wouldn't be in camp until sunday, the team has saturday off, isn't surprising, just a bit dissapointing...but the fact that barron nor his agent felt compelled to notify martz or his staff is a bit off-putting to say the least...

maybe, barron is planning on redshirting this season...

RealRam is offline Registered User

WHAT!?! Give me a break! WHY DIDN'T BARRON CALL!

Common courtesy, professional obligation ... it was the very least he could do, especially considering the facts!

I hope and trust he's called by now, Thursday p.m.! Good grief. :angryram:

SFCRamFan Guest

Thumbs up Re: Barron is no-show at Rams practice

I think that the issue is dedication to your new team and teammates. I don't care if they don't practice until Sunday. He should have his butt there getting acquainted with his teammates and be there cheering them on in preparation (as well as learning ) and during the game if anything else. I hope this guy screws his head on right and soon.

:tut

I don't care if they don't practice until Sunday. He should have his butt there getting acquainted with his teammates and be there cheering them on in preparation (as well as learning) and during the game if anything else. I hope this guy screws his head on right and soon. --SFCRamFan
    ABSOLUTELY!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    WHAT!?! Give me a break! WHY DIDN'T BARRON CALL!

Common courtesy, professional obligation ... it was the very least he could do, especially considering the facts!
    What facts? Barron has been a "professional" for about four months. Chances are he doesn't know the proper etiquite on how to handle every possible situation, and judging from his agent's behavior, Barron's not going to find out from Barnes any time soon. On the other hand, Martz and the Rams front office have been professionals for years, yet apparently didn't think to confirm this kind of info yesterday evening after the contract was agreed to, even though they knew Barron hasn't been in town.

I'm not saying Barron's off the hook for anything. I'm disappointed he hasn't been in St. Louis since the start of camp, in case something did get done, so he could just jump right in. But Barron's a rookie, and like most rookies, is probably listening to the advice of his agent, and his agent doesn't seem to have the best interests of the team in mind. Plus, Barron had just arrived in Orangeburg, S.C., when the agreement was reached yesterday evening, and according to the PD, Barnes was at that time still working on details of the contract. The PD even said themselves they didn't expect Barron to be on the practice field until Sunday given the pre-season contest on Friday, so why this should be a surprise to Martz, I'm not quite sure.

Frankly, it sounds as if one arm of the Rams FO isn't talking to the other arm. So again, if Barron is missing come Sunday, then I'll join the ranks of the upset. But right now, I'm at most mildly disappointed at both sides.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Facts -- we know the facts, Nick. I believe Barron does too.

No doubt, the so called 'agent' is still in the way. And as you said, it may very well be a case of ignorance, that is, of proper etiquette, or protocol or just plain good manners to your employer regarding absenteesim!

A proactive phone call, a simple notification to the boss. That's all.

Barron seems to be a decent, good youngster. Maybe he's just lacking civility. I still hope that he will at least realize what time it is.

As SCF said, "I hope this guy screws his head on right and soon". :1:

Tony Soprano Guest

You guys better wake up and smell the coffee!! You can't blame this on his agent.

To be a successful football player (in the NFL) you have to be driven. You have to love to compete. You have to have the heart of a Lion.

This guy was set up on ESPN (with Softball questions)- multiple times - to say that he would play with passion. And his answer was. I'm a laid back player and person and that's my style.

I think we have a major problem here and I think Alex Barron likes the idea of taking a year off, on the bench getting paid. He can buy the best toys and Custom homes and he can worry about learning new technique and the Ram's Offense next year.

We have a non-motivated football player. Teams that draft guys without desire but that have great numbers get burned EVERY TIME. They used to call this "looking good in shorts".. These guys excel in the drills in shorts.. Dashes, Sprints, shuttle runs, Weight lifting, jumping, measurements.... But when crunch time comes the guy with the heart beats them every time.

Jamal Brown Oklahoma was the guy we needed. This guy (Barron) is a GM's draft dream and a Coach's nightmare. I'm telling you today this guy will turn out to be a journeyman. Teams will always give him another chance due to his potential, and he will never live up to his potential.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -08-11-2005 at 10:14 PM.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Told you so!

I said exactly this earlier in a post a week ago that this prospect at least worried me, and that signs pointed that way.

However, I creamed here and given long lectures of how ALL NFL players want to be starters..yadda yadda yadda.

No one knows for sure, BUT give me one indication where Barron has shown he will be a tough competitor. Only time will tell of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast