Wink Barron ready to enter catch-up mode

Top draft pick has yet to practice
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Rookie offensive tackle Alex Barron doesn't know how long it'll take him to learn the St. Louis Rams' complex offense.
    "I'm just here to get out there and learn as much as I can as quick as I can," Barron said. "You know, after that, we'll just see what happens."
    Barron missed the first two weeks of the Rams' training camp before reaching an agreement on a five-year contract with the team Wednesday.
    Rams coach Mike Martz has said it will be impossible for Barron to be ready to start by the team's Sept. 11 season opener against the San Francisco *****.
    Martz also accused Barron's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, of posturing as the negotiations lingered further into training camp. He was upset with Barnes once again after Barron missed practice Thursday, because he was traveling to St. Louis from his home in Orangeburg, S.C.
    Martz believed Barnes should have had his client living in St. Louis so he could report as soon as an agreement was reached.
    After the Rams' 17-13 preseason win over the Chicago Bears on Friday night, Barron said he had yet to talk with Martz.
    "I came in real late last night and got in early this morning," Barron said. "Both of us were pretty busy during the day. I'll probably get a chance to talk to him this weekend."
    Barron said he wasn't worried about Martz holding a grudge against him.
    "I'm not concerned," Barron said. "That part of negotiations is all business. It's the business part of the football aspect of it."
    Barron said he was surprised that his holdout got him in Martz's doghouse.
    "I thought as long as I was working out and keeping in shape and keeping up with what was going on, I was fine," Barron said. "But, that part of it is over with. I'm here and ready to get on the field."
    Barron must wait until Monday to take the practice field for the first time in training camp as Martz gave his squad Saturday and today off.
    "They've done everything we've asked them to do, and we've put them in some tough situations on purpose," Martz said. "There's not much to be displeased with. It just seems like what we're doing in camp is the right thing."
    Barron is getting a crash course in the Rams' playbook.
    "It's an extreme playbook," Barron said. "I mean, it's an extreme team so you know what I mean. That's one of the things that comes with the NFL, period. It's a lot to process, that's all."
    Barron was one of four offensive tackles who watched the game against the Bears in street clothes from the sidelines. The others were injured Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace (thigh), Grant Williams (back) and Matt Morgan (stinger).
    Matt Willig started at left tackle and Rex Tucker started at right tackle against Chicago.
    Tucker, who is still learning the tackle position after playing guard during his previous six NFL seasons, and rookie left guard Claude Terrell played the entire game against the Bears.
    After sitting out most of the last 2 1/2 seasons with injuries, Tucker was happy for the extra work.
    "This was very important for me," Tucker said. "This was my first preseason game since '03, so to play the whole game to me was very important. I was very glad they allowed me to play the whole game. I'm trying to get in game shape."

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Barron ready to enter catch-up mode

Let's hit those books then! :angryram:

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Let's hit those books then!
    Did Barron have access to the playbook before signing his contract? Or is the playbook, being basically a "Top-Secret" manual, withheld from any player until he reports? If he had it, then I would hope that by now he already has it memorized. That would at least be one less thing that he needed to learn.
    -
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I would have assumed he had it. He at least saw it going into the rookie mini-camps and what not.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Barron said he was surprised that his holdout got him in Martz's doghouse.
    "I thought as long as I was working out and keeping in shape and keeping up with what was going on, I was fine," Barron said."

-REMEMBER A.B. THE RAMS ARE PAYING YOU TO BLOCK, NOT TO THINK!:football: --WELCOME TO THE BALL CLUB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Lets go Barron. Get caught up.
    RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

Please move in with Big Jackie for the month.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

That would be his best bet! Oh what a mentor he would be if he'd listen of course!

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828
    -REMEMBER A.B. THE RAMS ARE PAYING YOU TO BLOCK, NOT TO THINK!:football: --WELCOME TO THE BALL CLUB.
    Now that's funny. LOL
    Sprtsmac :football:

RealRam is offline Registered User

Go ... Jackie Slater! :football:

Please move in with Big Jackie for the month. --GC
    Quite the privilege to learn hands-on from HOF All Pro / All everything, No. 78!