AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Barron Situation is a Nonsense Magnet

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother reading the opinons of fans and sportwriters.

Take the Alex Barron situation. Yes, it would have been better if he had looked more prepared at mini-camp. Yes, it would have been better if he had signed before the start of training camp.

But the conclusions that people are asserting based upon what has occurred are just plain nonsense.

The latest one, which many fans and the great Blarney Miklasz have uttered, is "he won't be ready to contribute until 2006."

Are you kidding me? What if Barron had missed mini-camp due to a death in the family, and then missed the first two weeks of training camp due to some minor injury. Are you telling me that people would now be saying that Barron has no chance of contributing in 2005? Please.

If Barron can't contribute this year, it won't be because he missed two weeks of training camp - it will be because he's simply not capable (and nobody, not even Mike Martz and Alex Barron, know if he is capable at this point).

The other great "nonsense" argument is - "it will be a big adjustment moving to RT." First of all, Barron played quite a bit of RT at FSU. Second of all, in most cases, lining up at RT means that you are usually not facing the best pass rusher on the other team. Finally, the RT is more likely to get help from a TE than the LT.

Again, this stuff is all nonsense. Barron will get into some games in the preseason, and we'll all have a better idea of whether his talent (which is undeniable) will override his lack of experience and underdeveloped technique.

My bet is that it will, and that he'll be starting by week 5 or 6. But I am just guessing - just like everyone else!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The Barron Situation is a Nonsense Magnet

What does NostaRamus say? LOL

Anyway, I've said this before that I have no idea how to judge O line talent by any measure except how many times he lets his man slam Bulger to the ground. That's one position on the field that I couldn't tell you if someone knows "Come Here" from "Sic um".

RealRam is offline Registered User

...This stuff is all nonsense. -- A. R.
    Quite so. "The age of information", so called. Writers have to have something to write about. The tabloid syndrome.

Sometimes it's entertaining, like jotting down how a crazy eagle is flapping its wings all over training camp (and the camera men rush to the scene while reporters try to stick their microphones in the eagle's beak).

Sometimes it's just plain, good'ol gossip. Translation: big magnet, medium magnet, small magnet.

True, Alex Barron could have missed all this time due to a serious, justified reason other than being held back by a sleezy agent. Now it's up to the tardy rookie to work overtime big time.

I believe that the young Barron will be 'okay', at best, learning every day from the veterans; I also think that he will play RT in and out during the season.

Hopefully, with flashes of greatness.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    The other great "nonsense" argument is - "it will be a big adjustment moving to RT." First of all, Barron played quite a bit of RT at FSU. Second of all, in most cases, lining up at RT means that you are usually not facing the best pass rusher on the other team. Finally, the RT is more likely to get help from a TE than the LT.
    I don't think this is complete nonsense, but I think it's being brought up more than it should.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The part that is complete nonsense is that people keep saying it as if Barron has never played the position. He has.