RamWraith is offline Registered User

Barron's streak may be over (and other RAMblings)

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/07/2008

Alex Barron has started 47 consecutive games for the Rams a streak that apparently will come to an end Sunday at Arizona. Because Barron was late for a team meeting Friday morning, coach Jim Haslett said he's decided to start Adam Goldberg at right tackle against the Cardinals.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Barron was the team's first-round draft pick (No. 19 overall) in 2005. He started the final three games of his rookie season, then all 16 in 2006 and '07, plus the first 12 this year.

Goldberg, 6-7 and 318, has started two games at left guard and two at left tackle this year, his third with the Rams and sixth in the NFL.

RAISING ARIZONA

With the Cardinals on the verge of clinching the NFC West title a win over the Rams or a ***** loss to the Jets would do it the long-suffering fans in Phoenix are more than ready to celebrate.

"I think the community is very excited about that," coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "It's not something that's happened since the team has been in Arizona, and there have been a number of years where we've just been out of it at this time of the year."

Since moving from St. Louis in 1988, the Big Red have earned just one playoff berth. That came in 1998, when they posted their only winning record (9-7) in the Valley of the Sun.

The championship would be the franchise's first since Don Coryell's 1975 St. Louis Cardinals prevailed in the NFC Eastern Division and would ensure the team only its second home playoff game the other was in 1947, when it called Chicago home.

A CLOSER LOOK

With Haslett seeking to glean as much as he can about his players over the final weeks of the season, rookie linebacker Chris Chamberlain is expected to get some work on defense in addition to his special-teams duties.

"I've been just kind of waiting my turn," said Chamberlain, a seventh-round draftee from the University of Tulsa. "The way the season's gone isn't what we wanted, but I think if we make the most of these last few games, it'll give us some momentum going into next year, as well as help them figure out what they've got personnel-wise and what they need to get."

QB PRESSURE LACKING

Marc Bulger wasn't sacked last week, the only time's that happened all year. Given the Cardinals' declining quarterback rush, Bulger might be able to keep his uniform clean again.

Arizona recorded 18 sacks 12 by the front four in its first six games, but has collected just seven since then, including two by safety Adrian Wilson on blitzes.

"We'd like to get more pressure," defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast told reporters in Phoenix. "We've gotten close. We've gotten quick throws, we've gotten a lot of max protection."

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Barron's streak may be over (and other RAMblings)

Not sure this is the best move. As much as I understand Barron is a duh....and does not live up to any sort of potential, he has been consistent throughout the year and improved. He has cut down the number of penalties, he is never hurt and played better when Cogs was gone. In my opinion Incognito is the issue and the cancer with his attitude and lack of drive. There are much bigger fish to fry in my opinion when it comes to benching like Cogs, Klop, Holt (yeah, Holt), Chavous, Bell, Pisa, Bulger and Carriker. Barron is much lower on my list. Unless of coarse it is a motivator and a ploy for negotiations. Not sure though it makes much sense to me. We have guards to step it up, but not tackles.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

And so goes his chance to enter the record books with most consecutive games penalized for false starts. Will anyone else ever challenge Deaf Donald Dougie's 50-game streak?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Not sure this is the best move. As much as I understand Barron is a duh....and does not live up to any sort of potential, he has been consistent throughout the year and improved.
    According to Stats Inc, he leads the Rams offensive linemen not only in most penalties but most sacks allowed. It's widely assumed that he was one of the guys Bulger called out two years ago for just picking up his paycheck. I'll be happy when he's gone and replaced after 2009.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I am a little disappointed in this. I was hoping that Greco would be stepping in and starting at tackle. Who knows, mabye Greco will get rotated in a little and he'll keep that spot.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Ironic that he would be late for a meeting since he is always early on the snap count.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Meh. I could really careless. Just gives us time to see what our best line combination is.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    Ironic that he would be late for a meeting since he is always early on the snap count.
    You gotta love Alex Barron. The man, the myth, the legend.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

when I read the title that "Barron's streak may be over", I thought it was going to say that his streak of consecutive games with false start penalties was going to come to an end.

Well, I guess it will if he doesn't play. Too bad, he's one of our only players breaking records.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post

i officially cant give reps right now to makersncoke and bigredman for some reason, but this was absolutely hilarious!!!..