RamWraith is offline Registered User

Barron's tardiness rankles Vitt

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/07/2005

You can bet that Rams rookie Alex Barron was happy to bid bye to his first bye week in the NFL. It didn't go quite the way he'd planned.

The team's first-round draft pick and starting right tackle returned to Tallahassee, Fla., where he expected to watched alma mater Florida State pound North Carolina State on Saturday. Oops ... the Seminoles were upended 20-15, snuffing their national-championship hopes.

Then on Monday morning, Barron's flight to St. Louis was canceled. "I had to get on the next available," he said. "I was in Atlanta for a long time." Long enough that he missed all but the final 15 minutes of a 90-minute practice at Rams Park.

Interim head coach Joe Vitt wasn't pleased. "It'll be dealt with," Vitt said. Later, Barron confirmed that he had met with Vitt. Barron offered no further details, but Vitt probably made a withdrawal from Barron's multimillion-dollar contract.

Veteran running back Marshall Faulk also was absent when the team reassembled Monday. Vitt said Faulk long ago had earned special-exemption status.

"Marshall has been excused since August," Vitt said. "He had an appointment today. He called me up and said, 'Do you want me back there?' And I said, 'Absolutely not.'"

Wilkins streaks on

If Jeff Wilkins breaks the NFL record for making the most extra-point kicks in a row, he probably will do so in a Rams uniform. The four-year contract extension that Wilkins signed last week virutally assured that.

"Going into the last year (of a contract), you never know what's going to happen," said Wilkins, who is signed through 2009. "I was trying not to think about it too much, just go out and do what I do and see what happens at the end of the year. Fortunately, it didn't have to go that far."

Wilkins, 33, has nailed 289 consecutive PATs, including 23 this season. He trails only Jason Elam (371) and Norm Johnson (301) in the league history book. Wilkins' last miss was in 1998, his second year with the Rams.

Wilkins said he wanted to end his career in St. Louis. "There's no other place I would want to be," he said. "When I'm done here, I'm done."

How I spent the bye week

Many of the Rams scurried out of town during their week off. Rookie guard Claude Terrell returned to his Houston home and took in a game Friday night at LaMarque High, his alma mater.

The public-address announcer surprised him by introducing him to the crowd. The 343-pound Terrell said that as the fans turned toward him, they saw him sheepishly clutching a hot dog in each hand as he walked back from the concession stand.

Wide receiver Dominique Thompson, another rookie, saw his former college teammates at William & Mary lose to James Madison 30-29 on a late field goal. "Just an unlucky thing, I guess," Thompson said, shrugging.

Veteran center Andy McCollum hung around the house, taking care of put-off chores and helping wife Christy with their four young children, two of whom are still in diapers.

"That was the hardest week of my life; I'm ready to get back to work," McCollum quipped. "My wife ... had a long list of things for me to do. I tried to give her a little break. I respect what she has to do every day a lot more now."

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Re: Barron's tardiness rankles Vitt

"My wife ... had a long list of things for me to do.
    I don't know about you guys, but it's nice to see that even multi-million dollar athletes have "honey-do" lists as well.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Yodude is offline Registered User

I would think, though, that your "honey-do" list becomes significantly smaller when your salary is in the 7-figure range.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh I don't know....a millionaires dirty diaper brigade is about as exciting as a working stiffs dirty diaper bridage.