throwback week

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Barry's BLOG Week 2

First off, isn't anyone else amused by the irony of an NFL team being involved in a situation with sophomoric sexual behavior towards a woman reporter that's owned by a guy named Woody Johnson ???

I mean the gang on "South Park" or "Family Guy" would have a f ield day with that one eh?? And I can't imagine what saying the name would do to Beavis and Butthead.

Yea, the Rams are 0-2, but remember, rookie QB, super young tackles on the O-line, no #1 WR (Though Clayton is pretty darn close to being one), lack of depth at CB, DE etc ??

People, let's enjoy the process here, can't anyone see the improvement, the promise of Bradford. People holloring for more long passes and maybe getting Sam hurt as a result need to chill.

Minny is 0-2 facing a really tough schedule now, and THEY should be the f ans worrying. Dallas too, and the Niners.

If the Rams win 6-7 games they are where we want them, and it doesn't matter what games they win.

If the Rams return all their possible turnovers for scores like KC, THEY are 2-0, too. Or even maybe if they make all the chip shot field goals.

As this defense starts to EXPECT turnovers, they maybe will start blcoking instead of watching after they get them, like the best defenses do. Lovie Smith's teams here practiced a LOT taking it to the house, and the Rams need to do the same now. James Hall missed both blocks on Steve Breaston in the Arizona game on the t urnovers he saved with tackle and strip.

These are offensive guys trying to play defense after a turnover, which almost all cannot, so the stronger defenders hve to level the field of tackles when they get the ball, and SCORE.

Love what I see of Rodger Saffold thus far, but Jason Smith needs to come on stronger on the right.

Who would believe that the depth at TE could deplete in two games !!!

Good to see Murphy make a play i his first game, ... need that guy to step up badly as the nickel, as Butler can't do it well enough.

Love what I am seeing from Craig Dahl, best hittings afety here since Toby Wright, who I always called "The Man". Who can forget him knocking out Tiki Barber in 1997 or 1998. with a hit audible into the upper deck.

If Chris Long gets any lower in his stance, he'll be under the carpet at the dome. That could be a real weapon for him, and he appears to be really coming on, despit lack of gaudy sack numbers, mostly because of lack of nickel and dime backs that allow the QB to find a second or third option.

DO like what Fletcher and Bartell are doing, BUT, they both need to CATCH the ball when it comes at them. Of course they haven't faced Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or a receiver like Andre Johnson yet either.

If the G-Men want to lose Brandon Jacobs, I hope the Rams go after him, a midwest guy who went to SIU Carbondale. Yes, I know he isn't the scatback alternative the fans see as Jax' backup, but, in my mind, you use Jacobs up the guy and goal line to SAVE Jackson, and make HIM the outside threat, using him in the flat and off tackle to around end, where he does best anyway.

Jacobs can turn a one yard run into a big gain at times up the middle as he is as big as the linemen..

Time for Brandon Gibson and Mardy Gilyard to get more PT over Laurent Robinson, who is too soft off theline and drops too many balls.

Let's see what Fendi Onabun can do now as well, what can it hurt.

Get well soon Clifton Ryan, who is suffering migraines. Hope it's not from that unfortunate play against Arizona. Again a good guy with a future, the last guy pretty much left from the Linehan era.

Like to see the Rams go early fro a guard next draft, round three at latest,to complete the rebuild of what could be a real strength in 2011 and beyond.
    First and second round have to be WR and explosive DE or DE/LB.

When you look at those bad lones in Dallas and Philly, you see how they might struggle in the near future while the Rams get better and better.

Jake Locker...... yea....right. Both Andrew Luck at Stanford (Seattle or SF next QB?) or Ryan Mallett at Arkansas (again Seattle or Niner possibilities) are betterr. None are close to Bradford.

Like what I am seeing from Larry Grant, but Diggs just too limited.

Terrible officiating again last week, but what else is new.

All for now.

Barry Waller

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Barry's BLOG Week 2

Really like the blog Barry, keep it coming. It's great to have our own insider.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    First off, isn't anyone else amused by the irony of an NFL team being involved in a situation with sophomoric sexual behavior towards a woman reporter that's owned by a guy named Woody Johnson ???
    Yep, AvengerRam posted a thread titled "From the "You can't make this stuff up" file... ", which needless to say, got many "colorful" responses.

Love what I am seeing from Craig Dahl, best hitting safety here since Toby Wright, who I always called "The Man". Who can forget him knocking out Tiki Barber in 1997 or 1998. with a hit audible into the upper deck.
    Love his play too, but I'm not sure he's going to be making many big hits any time soon with concussion problems. Any word on his ststus?

If the G-Men want to lose Brandon Jacobs, I hope the Rams go after him, a midwest guy who went to SIU Carbondale. Yes, I know he isn't the scatback alternative the fans see as Jax' backup, but, in my mind, you use Jacobs up the guy and goal line to SAVE Jackson, and make HIM the outside threat, using him in the flat and off tackle to around end, where he does best anyway.
    Obviously Spags is familiar with him. Does he qualify under the four pillars requirements?

Time for Brandon Gibson and Mardy Gilyard to get more PT over Laurent Robinson, who is too soft off theline and drops too many balls.
    Any reason you know of why Gibson isn't getting ANY PT?

swatter555 is offline Registered User

It seems the Jacobs trade rumors are squashed for now.

I still think we should look into Marshawn Lynch.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-23-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: No links

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    It seems the Jacobs trade rumors are squashed for now.

I still think we should look into Marshawn Lynch.
    How about Larry Johnson? He may still have just alittle left in the tank, with the ability to give SJAX a blow from time to time, also he would come on the cheap. Willis Mcgahee is another one. Wish the Rams had a "Three headed Monster" type of backfield!
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-23-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Delete link.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK,

First, Dahl didn't practice Wed. due to concussion, I am supposed to interview him on Friday, along with Mark Clayton, for my two featutes in Gridiron Gateway Magazine. The one on Dahl could be very interesting, because of the strange place he comes from.

Clayton, doing a religious slant, if you can believe it, but we did OK here with Warner, Aeneas, and Ike here together, not to mention guys like Pace, Timmerman and others who were regular church goers and Christian athletes members. Plus you had Ray Agnew on top of all those guys on the field.

Brandon Gibson should, and will be playing, and it was kind of funny to see him get the player of game award for the last exhibition. Gilyard I think will get in more, not sure about Fendi yet. Still thenk they will try to run it against the Skins, because with what Haz will be throwing at us, Bradford might want to be very careful. though the Skins lack the horses the RAms have seen in Oakland and against Arizona. No Joey Porter, Kam Wimberly, though Orakpo is close, though it won't be as easy not playing against Alex Barron, who he ravaged in week 1.

Redskins tried to get Vincent Jackson at the last minute, still might (Good, let little Danny make another splash for nothing in the way of wins or titles.) Supposedly had a deal in place, but wouldn't trade what SD wanted, because they don't REALLY want to trade him away. Better to sit tight and have him back for playoffs or next year than deal for picks that don't say first round.

This will be a big test for the Rams, against a well coached team with talent, and a veteran star QB, which they have not seen. Gotta stop Moss deep first of all, which starts by stuffing the run big time. They have not stopped Portis from breaking big runs in the past.

They have a few good receivers, which doesn't bode well, and a top receiving TE in Cooley. Butler better be 100%.

Has' DBs are good, making lot's of blitzes a sure thing.

The Rams will have to play perfect football to win, but hopefully fans will understand this was not one marked with a W in August.

But, they DO play well against Washington, who might take the Rams too lightly early on. Gotta knock McNabb around early, keep him in the pocket.

Clifton Ryan MAY be back, as his migraines seem to be going away. Probably just this weird St. Louis weather, over 90 on Monday, after low 70s on Sunday.. Indian Summer, we call it here, also the name of a favorite Paul Cotten written POCO song and album. I heard from a former member of Mama's Pride, who lives here, that Paul has left the group he started with in the early 1970's when Hall of Famer Richey Furay left the group he founded.

We get to see POCO alot here because Rusty Young, the best steel guitar player ever, lives in Steeleville Missouri, where the Wildwood Lodge has concerts with some greats. Going to see Marshall Tucker next month there !!!

Got to sit at dinner with Paul Cotton once, lots of great stories about 1970's Hollywood, Janis Joplin great stuff. The guy has written some great songs.

Anyway, back to the Rams. If we get some breaks, we could stay close enough to win, but I'm looking more for max effort, no more injuries, great ST and a 60 minute game, win or lose.

Just getting to watch Sam Bradford play and progress will keep me going quite awhile, and I believe in Spags, just as I did with Vermeil while taking so much flak from fans as a "homer" in 1998.

Gave the man a bottle of 1980 vintage Champagne in December 1998, to be opened when the team went from that low point to a Championship. I believed in that man that strongly then. DIdn't think it would happen THAT soon though !!!!

Lets enjoy the rise of our Rams and not look so much at early returns. Save that for elections... you know something REALLY meaningless.

Even if they lose, just flip on Scorcese's new HBO show and enjoy Sunday evening in the nicest weather of the year.

If the "rabid" fans with little clue want to bail, great. Their sad tripe opn the call in shows is garbage. We have guys on the radio here now in Hanny and Venturi and Softli that will tell it like it is for sure. HAnny went OFF of his radio mate after the game about Vincent JAckson and what a mistake it would be to trade for him.

It was classic !!! Said they had "Lot's of guys" in Washington when he was there with Gibbs that culd catch 65 balls, "And one of them we ran right out of there."

Jackson has TWO DUI and one stop for driving suspended. He is NOT Brandon Marshall, or Randy Moss (A 2011 free agent). Think that guy is gonna stay clean ?? I think Brian Burwell and others touting him for the RAms just want some good stuff to write about !!

Many people here never forgave Leonard Little, after his fatality causing accident, and he is a really good person that made a monumental error at a very young age.

Plus SD, with a crazy GM, wanted way too much. If we want a Charger, I'd rather have OL McNeill, also a holdout. HE'S a stud.
    Barry Waller

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Brandon Gibson should, and will be playing, and it was kind of funny to see him get the player of game award for the last exhibition.
    I'm still very curious as to why he hasn't seen the field so far this year, given that he had some spectacular moments in the preseason. It can't really be the party line of "special team needs outweigh receiver needs", can it?? That just makes no sense, especially with the way the Rams receivers have floundered as a whole.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Plus SD, with a crazy GM, wanted way too much. If we want a Charger, I'd rather have OL McNeill, also a holdout. HE'S a stud.
    I'm with you regarding McNeill, Steven Jackson probably would be too ..

rampower is offline Registered User

Thanks for the blogs Barry, they are great.

Wont be in STL this year, but will be next year!

Thanks again

Julian
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

MACD is offline Registered User

I'm new here....and I likes me some Barry Waller!!! He's a baller!!!!!

Thanks for the blogs Barry, they are great.

YOU BETTER !! Probably won't throw another "tea party" downtown at the Arch like this year.

>>Wont be in STL this year, but will be next year!

Thanks again

Julian
    >>
    Barry Waller