Thread: Bartell

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Bartell

I've seen alot of threads saying that we need help at Cornerback and that we need to draft one or the future when brown leaves (and I'm guilty of this too) but have you ever thought about Bartell? I think he's been playing Solid this season at cornerback, I mean there's a few times that he's gotten beat a little but he's usually right with the Reciever and sometimes is in position for a play. What about if we draft Landry and then move Bartell back to cornerback? Have another offseason under the Haslett scheme playing Cornerback, and maybe would get him more adjusted to it. I think he's plenty fast and atheletic enough to play cornerback and is a big cornerback, something that some of us have been wanting.

What do you think? Move Bartell back to Cornerback Fulltime and get him more comfortable with that position and draft a pure safety such as Landry to fill the future of our Safeties, or keep Bartell at safety, draft a pure safety and a cornerback and use him for depth?

I say move him to cornerback fulltime this offseason and get him tons of reps and draft a 'pure' safety for the future.

RamsFan16

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Bartell

i totally agree with you on this. bartell has showed potential and promise that with ample playing time he could contribute for this ballclub

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Isn't Brown signed for the next four seasons? I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon.

That being said, if they're going to play Bartell at corner, then please just stick with it. It can't be good for this guy's development to have him going back and forth between positions.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I know thats what I'm saying. I think we should keep him at Corner and let him develop since he has a better chance at Corner than Safety.
    RamsFan16

tanus is offline Registered User

what makes you think he would be better at corner than safety?

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I think you have to look at where our draft position is and if the best guy available is a corner you take a corner.If he's a safety take a safety.Let Bartell win his spot in camp.if he's to be a starting corner let him beat out the rookie(If we draft a corner).

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    I think you have to look at where our draft position is and if the best guy available is a corner you take a corner.If he's a safety take a safety.Let Bartell win his spot in camp.if he's to be a starting corner let him beat out the rookie(If we draft a corner).
    I have a hard time believing the Rams would draft a first round cornerback two years in a row.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Seems like Bartell is best suited to play the cb position. His above average heighth (6'1.25" is great for a cornerback) and 4.41 speed are certainly positives. The Rams need a safety who can light people up -- a guy opponents will have to account for -- Toby Wright comes to mind. Bartell doesn't fit that mold. Barry Waller recently stated that he considers Bartell to be a bust (The Insiders) ... maybe he is right... It seems to me however, that Ron would the better off getting reps exclusively at the cornerback spot. With the Rams facing taller receivers consistently in their own division it would be a huge plus if Ron could develop into a first team player. Pro Football Weekly's Draft guide projected him as a safety at the NFL level, so who knows what the Rams were thinking when they drafted him in the 2nd round ....

Have to agree with Nick that it is highly unlikely the Rams would use another 1st round pick on a pure cover corner in 2007. A safety -- quite possibly -- but not another corner ...

blood85 is offline Registered User

What ever happened to Toby Wright??

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have a hard time believing the Rams would draft a first round cornerback two years in a row.
    My point was in the draft take the best player available in ANY round ANY position.We have lots of needs and competition at positions is a GOOD thing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    My point was in the draft take the best player available in ANY round ANY position.We have lots of needs and competition at positions is a GOOD thing!!!
    I really don't buy into the BPA strategy as being the best to use, especially if you're a team that has a lot of specific needs to fill. I feel BPA works better when you don't really have many glaring needs and thus can afford to spend a pick on a position that you may be okay on. But I think teams that have a lot of weaknesses are only going to get better when they address those weaknesses, which doesn't involve our taking, say, a running back in the first round just because he happens to be the best player available.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Seems like Bartell is best suited to play the cb position. His above average heighth (6'1.25" is great for a cornerback) and 4.41 speed are certainly positives. The Rams need a safety who can light people up -- a guy opponents will have to account for -- Toby Wright comes to mind. Bartell doesn't fit that mold. Barry Waller recently stated that he considers Bartell to be a bust (The Insiders) ... maybe he is right... It seems to me however, that Ron would the better off getting reps exclusively at the cornerback spot. With the Rams facing taller receivers consistently in their own division it would be a huge plus if Ron could develop into a first team player. Pro Football Weekly's Draft guide projected him as a safety at the NFL level, so who knows what the Rams were thinking when they drafted him in the 2nd round ....

Have to agree with Nick that it is highly unlikely the Rams would use another 1st round pick on a pure cover corner in 2007. A safety -- quite possibly -- but not another corner ...
    Excellent post MauiRam, I was going to say something just like you did; but all I'm gonna say now is "ditto!" Enuff said.

WHAT SAY YE?

Wow, what a game Bartell had today 'ey!

He was ALL OVER and did great in the CB Blitz's and stopping the run. I really like what I've seen out of Bartell the last two games.
    RamsFan16