Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By shower beers

Thread: Bartell 5th rated corner in NFL last season

shower beers is offline Registered User

Bartell 5th rated corner in NFL last season

This, according to a stat-collecting blog analyzing success rates and yards per pass from 2010-2011. Now, before we go into a wild debate about this, the blog makes A TON of stipulations about what qualifies to go into this collection of data, with lots of things thrown out. Take it as you may, but I think the general idea here doesn't need to be thrown out.

Below is the success rate top 10:

Top 10 Cornerbacks in Success Rate, 2010
    Player Team Charted Targets Yd/Pass Rk Success Rate Rk Avg. Pass Distance YAC Rk
    Darrelle Revis NYJ 57 5.6 11 70% 1 16.5 4.7 74
    Antoine Winfield MIN 57 4.2 1 67% 2 9.0 3.4 40
    Stanford Routt OAK 92 5.7 13 66% 3 15.1 4.9 77
    Tramon Williams GB 83 5.5 9 66% 4 14.3 4.0 55
    Ronald Bartell STL 83 5.2 5 65% 5 14.0 3.2 36
    Sean Smith MIA 49 6.7 29 63% 6 11.8 4.4 68
    E.J. Biggers TB 65 5.7 12 63% 7 13.3 2.9 25
    Joselio Hanson PHI 46 4.4 2 63% 8 9.2 1.5 1
    Antonio CromartieNYJ 102 6.0 16 63% 9 17.1 3.2 32
    Brandon Carr KC 105 7.1 35 61% 10 16.1 4.2 58

A little hard to follow, I admit. So if the mods allow it, here is the link to the actual data and description:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Best Cornerback Charting Stats 2010

Anyway, figured this would be a good conversation starter in an otherwise boring offseason.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Bartell 5th rated corner in NFL last season

This does not surprise me at all. I could clearly notice the difference in his play last season.
    I like the look of Fletcher too, I expect him to also progress into a above average CB for the coming seasons.
    I see people in some of the mock drafts done recently, picking CB's in the second and third. Even as high as the first round for the Rams.?
    This puzzled me somewhat, seeing these statistics reaffirmed my belief in the corners we already have on the roster.
    GO RAMS

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I think its good to know our corners are decent and we have a former pro bowler in Bartell (he made the pro bowl right ?), and up and coming guys like Fletcher. Its also interesting to note that some mocks have us picking a corner that high. However, with that said, that is one of the least worries of this team right now. WR, RB, DE and DT are among the greatest need.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Depth at corner is shakey at best. Hopefully King can stay healthy and play well, but I see him as nothing more than a dimeback. Murphy inconsistent in coverage last but showed some physicality. Is he ready to be the nickel and play alot I'm not sure yet and that would be up to the coaches hopefully he can fill that spot or else I think we need to go out and get a vet nickel back.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Agreed 39beast, it would be nice if we upgraded our depth throughout the secondary. All the best D's have good back up types all over the backline. The Rams just aint there yet and have greater needs at LB. Although it would be nice if we got hold of some fresh blood, hopefully we can find some good DB's come draft day and beyond.
    This draft does not seem overloaded with OLB's for our defence. I would much rather we took a DB rather than reach for a LB because of need. Hopefully DeSpags will be true to their word and stick to the board

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Bartell is not the kind of player than makes highlight-reel plays or many INT's. For that reason, he will continue to be undervalued and underrated until he retires. The stats don't lie, but it's awfully easy to take away from what he's done. Personally, I am thrilled we have a player of his caliber in our secondary.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Also noted in the article is that Bradley Fletcher ranked 7th overall in least Yards After Catch.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I saw this mentioned on Rotoworld, where in the article they call Bartell the "bizarro DeAngelo Hall", since he has failed to record an interception since 2008.
    Now Bartell's coverage has been great, but he really needs to start taking the ball away. The gift he was given at Detroit that he couldn't reel in was just embarassing

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    This does not surprise me at all. I could clearly notice the difference in his play last season.
    I like the look of Fletcher too, I expect him to also progress into a above average CB for the coming seasons.
    I see people in some of the mock drafts done recently, picking CB's in the second and third. Even as high as the first round for the Rams.?
    This puzzled me somewhat, seeing these statistics reaffirmed my belief in the corners we already have on the roster.
    GO RAMS
    You can never have enough quality corners.... especially with injury concerns in the secondary and a pass happy league

general counsel is offline Registered User

No shock at all for me. If we got more recognition, bartell would already be in the pro bowl. He is tough, plays hurt, tackles well and is a really solid citizen. He is also still improving. Without question in my mind, by far the most underated Ram (donnie jones would be second).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    ZiaRam likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    You can never have enough quality corners.... especially with injury concerns in the secondary and a pass happy league

Correct. We certainly saw the lack of depth we have when our starters were out to injury.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    No shock at all for me. If we got more recognition, bartell would already be in the pro bowl. He is tough, plays hurt, tackles well and is a really solid citizen. He is also still improving. Without question in my mind, by far the most underated Ram (donnie jones would be second).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think I couldn't have said any of this post better than you...
    as a side note I am very displeased how Donnie Jones always gets jipped from any thing he has accomplished so far