general counsel is offline Registered User

Bartell is officially a safety

According to what i consider an impeccable source, who i will not name but you can all guess who i usually quote in that category, bartell is now officially a safety and that is where he is working at in camp. "He may still see some action at corner." Also, OJ is playing with the first unit.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: Bartell is officially a safety

Thats good news, i would love to have bartell and chavous be out opening day safties. Right now i just dont trust OJ(no reason for that, so feel free to dissagree with me on that)

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Id like to see Bartell have a shot at safety, he definitely has the size and skills to play there. It will be an interesting competition between him and Atogwe.

I want one of them to get the job just so its not another wasted draft pick

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's probably not much of a competition now. Bartell doesn't have any pro experience at the position, while Atogwe saw action last season there. Bartell will likely have to make some quick strides if he really wants to challenge Atogwe for this spot, but he's athletic enough to make a run at it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I really Hope that Bartell gets the FS job... He wont get a lot of time at CB with all those CBs on our depth chart.. IMO it will be a Heated battle for FS between OJ and Bartell.. OJ only had a little playing time last Year cause Mike Furrey had Majority of playing time at FS.. I think OJ and Bartell had about the same amount of playing time last season i think.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think OJ and Bartell had about the same amount of playing time last season i think.
    But not at FS. Atogwe saw FS action in 12 games. Bartell had 0.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

i strongly doubt that he will contend for a starting spot right off the bat, but i think it may be a good long term move for us. You cant just change positions at the nfl level in a few weeks, no matter how athletic you are.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But not at FS. Atogwe saw FS action in 12 games. Bartell had 0.
    Ummm... I meant that they got action on the field.. I didnt mean both of them at FS.. sorry about the confusion

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Bartell Switches to Safety
    Friday, July 28, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Ron Bartell entered his rookie season in the NFL as a cornerback hoping to make his mark. He enters his second year in the league still hoping to make his mark, but this time as a safety.

After spending the offseason working at cornerback and safety, coach Scott Linehan announced Thursday that Bartell will be moving to safety on a more permanent basis.

“Right now, he is concentrating on safety,” Linehan said. “He certainly has the physical characteristics to do both. It's hard to make the transition overnight and be where you want to be but he's such a great kid and has a lot of pride in it, he's going to work his butt off to do whatever we ask of him.”

Bartell spent his first year with the Rams as a cornerback, playing in 10 games, seven of which he started. He finished the year with 36 tackles, nine passes defended and a pair of forced fumbles. He had his best game on Dec. 24 against San Francisco, playing every defensive down with five tackles and a forced fumble.

With plenty of competition developing at cornerback among the likes of Travis Fisher, Fakhir Brown, Jerametrius Butler and others, Bartell’s move could be beneficial to his production this season, but it isn’t the end of his cornerback-playing days.

“By all means, this isn’t the end of me playing corner in the NFL,” Bartell said. “They thought it would be best for the team. I thought so too. We have a lot of good corners if you ask me, so it wasn’t a big deal.”

Corey Chavous presumably has the strong safety spot locked up, leaving another second-year player, Oshiomogho Atogwe penciled in as the starter at free safety. Bartell will likely work at free safety and could figure into a competition with Atogwe and Jerome Carter for the starting job.

That potential to be a starter at safety rather than a backup at cornerback has Bartell excited about the possibilities.

“I made no bones about it,” Bartell said. “They asked me if I would mind. I don’t mind at all. I’m all about winning. My time will come.”

The coaching staff first approached Bartell about the move before the final minicamp, but he continued to work at cornerback while spending spurts at safety during that final minicamp.

In the middle of organized team activities, the staff finally asked Bartell to make the move slightly more permanent. So, Bartell decided it was time to add a little bit of weight so he could hold up better against the run.

Bartell packed on about eight pounds and says he weighs in around 208 right now.

“I kind of figured the switch would come,” Bartell said. “I can’t be 195 pounds tackling Steven Jackson every day.”

The switch won’t be terribly difficult for Bartell, who spent time at both safety spots at Howard and estimates he played the position about 60 percent of the time he was there.

Still, Bartell admits he has an adjustment period he must endure before he is fully comfortable as the last line of defense.

“At safety, I need to know where everybody goes between the D line and linebackers so that’s the biggest adjustment,” Bartell said. “It helps me a lot. I think it’s going to help me be a better corner down the line because of the experience I get.”

FULL CONTACT: The Rams’ Friday practice was the first the team spent in full pads after working in just shoulder pads in each of the first two workouts. Linehan has said the team will practice in pads approximately two out of every three workouts, but never twice in a row.

That means the next likely possibility for a full pad workout is Saturday night’s practice.

STILL NO HILL: First-round draft choice Tye Hill missed Friday afternoon’s practice as he remains in a contract holdout. More first-round choices agreed to or signed deals Friday leaving Hill among a group of first-rounders still unsigned.

Linehan said he still expects something to be done by the weekend and hopes that the flurry of first-rounders signing will give the Hill negotiations some momentum.

Either way, he’s not concerning himself with it.

“I’m only worried about the guys we have here,” Linehan said.

RAM BITS: Blaine Saipaia sat out again during Friday’s practice with a right calf injury. He said he expects to be back within a week or two…Rookie linebacker Jon Alston switched jersey numbers from 92 to 57…There were a pair of spectacular catches during team drills with Dominique Thompson and Shaun McDonald pulling in a pair of tough balls in the end zone…Happy Birthday to running back John David Washington.
    here is an article from the Rams site on it.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Linehan has said the team will practice in pads approximately two out of every three workouts, but never twice in a row.
    I'm no Archimedes or anything, but......isn't that mathematically impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Ummm... I meant that they got action on the field.. I didnt mean both of them at FS.. sorry about the confusion
    No confusion. I know what you meant. My point is their total playing time may have been about the same, but with both fighting for the FS spot, Atogwe has the edge since he has at least SOME NFL experience at the position. Bartell has none.

I think either way we're fine. Haslett's centerfielder will have to be smart and fast.....both Atogwe (Stanford educated) and Bartell (highest Wonderlic of any DB in 2005) fit that bill.
    Last edited by Nick; -07-29-2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bigredman is offline Registered User

Bartell has also shown to be a very good tackler. He's doing the right thing by putting on a little more weight to make himself more durable at the position. This move is probably going to make him more valuable to the team (his ability to play both safety and cornerback). I love hearing players say that they are all about winning, send me where you need me coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Bartell has also shown to be a very good tackler. He's doing the right thing by putting on a little more weight to make himself more durable at the position. This move is probably going to make him more valuable to the team (his ability to play both safety and cornerback). I love hearing players say that they are all about winning, send me where you need me coach.
    That is the right attitude. I played offense (QB), and also played Defense. I loved D end, but they moved me to the middle instead. But, I didn't fuss about it because I knew it was their best intention, and they only put me there because they thought I'd be better off.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Good reason to switch Bartell to S. C Chavous is adequate at best, Otogwe has no business starting. He had a couple good qtrs in the very last game of the season against the Cowboys. Other than that, when he was out on the field he seemed lost and overwhelmed. He was out of position alot and never around the ball. This is the weakest postition for the Rams. No depth and one true starter. I sure hope there is someone out there before the season starts the Rams can pick up, because this is going to end up a very big problem. So far in camp neither starter has looked very good. I sure hope the coaching staff can find some answers.