Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Bates and the money

I appreciate that we have offered over a million a year. Top dollar for an assistant is about 2 million a year. It is INCOMPREHENSIBLE to me that our organization is prepared to lose the man who is CLEARLY the best for the job (of the available guys) over a million a year, which is a drop in the bucket.

I am the one of the guys on this board who preaches money, money, money when it pertains to the players, but that is ALL about salary cap and allocation of resources, NOT cash. This has NOTHING to do with the cap and it is all about cash.

I question the commitment to winning over a decision like this. If jauron was still available, i would understand. I just dont see how the overall profitability of the franchise is impacted in any material way over a million dollars or so a year in a situation in which we are clearly desparate for an exorcism on defense and this guy is a proven winner on the defensive side of the ball.

One caveat. I can see walking away if bates wont make a decision. We should be in a position to get this wrapped up. However, what is bates waiting for. What other jobs are around that are going to pay him over a million per year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Bates and the money

Is it possible that Bates may have other issues besides money with the Rams? Maybe he doesn't like the current personnel on D. If Bates ultimate goal is a head coaching job, he would want to be successful asap as he is not getting any younger ... Just a thought ...

And a very very good thought it is maui. That was the point of my caveat, if bates is hesitating and wont make a decision, i appreciate why we would want to move on. If you were bates, riding at the peak of your reputation and yet knowing that you are limited by the talent of your players, you sure would need to get paid a butload of money to take the rams job, because if the players you have dont improve A LOT, your defense isnt going to be very good even if you help improve it somewhat, and of course, your reputation as a defensive "genius" will suffer.

Some old stuff, coaching matters at the margain only. Players and their talent make it happen. I dont blame bates for being scared of what he sees on the rams defensive side of the ball, which is bad enough already without any assurance that we are going to sign pickett.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This was the danger in going OFF coach. Our DEF is 31st in the league. It needs addressing.

The fall off is huge after Bates. Jauron was respectable and he's gone.

Pay him the money, NFL franchises are profitable - all of them.

I see fans on here "talking" themselves into inferior DEF COORDs. How far our standards have dropped in a couple weeks. We went from top-flight to now, if we don't get Bates, to guys no one else wants to hire.. And we are to entrust them into fixing the 31st DEF in the league?

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-23-2006 at 03:41 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    The fall off is huge after Bates.
    Says who?

There are other qualified candidates.

Nobody else wants them, but they're good enough for us??

Looks like the Rams didn't have this all the way thought through like some here predicted.

The DEF needs fixing and it looks like a GOOD DEF COORD was NOT part of the package.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This was the danger in going OFF coach. Our DEF is 31st in the league. It needs addressing.

The fall off is huge after Bates. Jauron was respectable and he's gone.

Pay him the money, NFL franchises are profitable - all of them.

I see fans on here "talking" themselves into inferior DEF COORDs. How far our standards have dropped in a couple weeks. We went from top-flight to now, if we don't get Bates, to guys no one else wants to hire.. And we are to entrust them into fixing the 31st DEF in the league?

Well, Tony, for one minute, let's assume that Bates is indeed the only answer to our defensive woes. If he won't sign on, we can't exactly force him, can we?

I still hope Shaw offers him the top dollar, but if Shaw and Linehan don't have another DC in mind, they are more foolish than I thought!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nobody else wants them, but they're good enough for us??
    What are you talking about? Donnie Henderson, who is one of the Rams' candidates resigned from his position as DC of the Jets because he didn't want to work for the new coach. So, at least one team (the Jets) wanted him too. He's also been named as a candidate for the Saints DC job.

Looks like the Rams didn't have this all the way thought through like some here predicted.
    Who predicted that, other than you, the Ultimate Naysayer?

The DEF needs fixing and it looks like a GOOD DEF COORD was NOT part of the package.
    Linehan was hired on Thursday. Its Monday. Way to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    What are you talking about? Donnie Henderson, who is one of the Rams' candidates resigned from his position as DC of the Jets because he didn't want to work for the new coach. So, at least one team (the Jets) wanted him too. He's also been named as a candidate for the Saints DC job.
    As well, the Chiefs and Bills have shown an interest in Henderson per KFFL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

So instead let's hire the DEF guy for our head coach who wasn't the best candidate for the job? That is irresponsible and idiotic. I'm glad the Rams hired who they thought was the best candidate.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    As well, the Chiefs and Bills have shown an interest in Henderson per KFFL.
    chiefs promoted their d-line coach to dc and the bills are keeping gray as their dc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    chiefs promoted their d-line coach to dc and the bills are keeping gray as their dc.
    The Chiefs interest in Henderson would be as secondary coach, and maybe the Bills are keeping Gray, but according to KFFL they were interested in interviewing Henderson before the hiring of Jauron. Now that Jauron is on-board, I'm not sure of their interest for assistants.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-23-2006 at 06:00 PM.

Did you guys mention Donnie Henderson earlier on ?

OR is he now great because we're stuck with him (if the reports on Bates are true).

I don't remember seeing you guys clamoring for Henderson.

Some may be settling for Henderson and then building him up to be more than he is.

You guys are adamant, but the hard facts say we're 31st on DEF. 31st.
    So, is it so unreasonable to think the Ram's Organization would concentrate on this area - DEF ?
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-23-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Regardless of who the coordinator is, i agree with tony that the organization needs to focus on defense. I am a LOT more interested in seeing what players we get, starting with signing pickett, than i am the difference between bates and henderson.

Remember this. You cant win the kentucky derby riding a donkey.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I'm not settling for anyone.

Bates was my first choice because, given his long time association with the Dolphins (I live in SoFla) I was familiar with his work.

I never really paid attention to Henderson, but I took the time to look him up. I looked at his teams stats (see my other thread on him) and read up on what people have said about him.

I liked what I read.

The idea that there's only one guy out there for the job and anyone else is second rate is just plain silly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast