tdog08 is offline Registered User

BD is saying the phones have been busy

Just saw it on NFL Network. They say they have been called by teams in the top half of the draft

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Re: BD is saying the phones have been busy

Good news..

Rams In Midst Of “Flurry Of Activity”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2009, 12:28 p.m. EDT

In an interview with ESPN’s Mike Tirico, Rams G.M. Billy Devaney dropped a strong hint that a trade down from the No. 2 spot in the draft remains possible.

Asked whether the Rams have begun negotiating a contract with a potential draft pick, now that the Lions have signed Matthew Stafford, Devaney had this to say: “No. No, we haven’t. We talked a little bit about it this morning, whether we want to do that, but there’s still a lot going on quite honestly that things could change between now and 3:00 our time so we didn’t want to start down that road just in case something happened and we end up not making the pick.”

Tirico asked whether that “something” is the possibilty of a trade out of the two spot, and Devaney acknowledged that a “flurry of activity” emerged on Saturday.

As a result, the Rams deviated from their intention of negotiating with the player on whom they had settled at No. 2. They opted instead to sit tight.

One big factor driving the Rams to look for a way out of the second spot could be the contract that the Lions gave to Matthew Stafford at No. 1.
    Regardless, why not do both? Why not negotiate with the guy they want and field calls for a trade?

As Ron Jaworski said after the interview ended, “If you know who your guy is, start negotiating with him right now. You’ve got to understand the signability of a player. Get it done.”

We agree. The leverage goes to the player if he’s picked without a contract in place.
    Somewhere, DeMaurice Smith is still nodding and smiling.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It certainly does not seem like they have decided on what to do with spot number two yet. I wonder if we will see a trade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Looks like that plane ticket for Sanchez might just pay some dividends!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Looks like that plane ticket for Sanchez might just pay some dividends!
    whats next somebody puts a Sanchez Rams jersey on ebay.

rammiser is online now Registered User

I'm hoping for a trade. Would be great to trade down still get what we want and accumulate some extra picks.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I'm hoping for a trade. Would be great to trade down still get what we want and accumulate some extra picks.

Has to be a great trade though. Not any old deal

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    why ? to draft a couple extra practice guys ,if OT is what we need and we need a very good one then take the guy at #2, but to grab someone else not as good later so on Sunday you can pick 2 more WR's or DB's who have no chance of making the team,I say no keep the pick and take the best OT we can get.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -04-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    why ? to draft a couple extra practice guys ,if OT is what we need and we need a very good one then take the guy at #2, but to grab someone else not as good later so on Sunday you can pick 2 more WR's or DB's who have no chance of making the team,I say no keep the pick and take the best OT we can get.
    You're right! The best OT at #2 is the safest pick for the Rams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Is Stafford the next Cutler?
    Buccaneers look to past for draft-day inspiration »

Draft
    Rams receiving calls about second overall pick

Posted: Draft | Steve Wyche | Tags: 2009 NFL Draft, Billy Devaney, St. Louis Rams, Steve Wyche
    The Rams could select USC QB Mark Sanchez with the No. 2 pick. (Ben Liebenberg / NFL.com)

ST. LOUIS — You would never know that the Rams, who have the No. 2 overall pick in the draft — and now the first one of intrigue since Detroit will select QB Matthew Stafford — were making a huge decision in just a few hours.
    While more and more team officials and coaches file into the facility, general manager Billy Devaney and coach Steve Spagnuolo are dealing with their first draft together as if they’re going out for a jog. Each is casually dressed and moving about relatively carefree. Spagnuolo said he went to bed Friday night at 9:30 p.m., while Devaney looks as equally well-rested. The indications are that they know what they plan to do with their first pick and maybe their second-rounder as well.
    Devaney told me that he has received phone calls this morning about his team’s top pick, but he didn’t mention any particulars.
    “There have been more calls than I expected. … At this point anything’s possible,” Devaney said.
    I am not quite sure why a team might want to get to No. 2 unless it thinks the Rams could select USC QB Mark Sanchez.
    The Rams booked a reservation for Sanchez to fly from Los Angeles to St. Louis on Sunday morning, but they apparently have tentative travel plans for other prospects as well. Those prospects, other than Sanchez, are believed to include Baylor OT Jason Smith, Virignia OT Eugene Monroe and Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry.
    Those travel plans could be nothing more than a huge smokescreen, and even so, the Rams get an “A” for effort and ingenuity. There is a lot more to come from here in St. Louis, and I will keep you posted through the day.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

whoa wait. when did "safest" pick become "best" pick?

oher is a great OT, and he should still be there in the 5 to 13 pick range. I think Rams are right to see who's calling on the phone before submitting their slip. everything is in their corner right now. good for billy d for using the time.

besides, i don't see the extra picks being practice guys. that was the old regime's strategy. one glance at the roster tells you Rams need depth on a lot of positions. trading a few slots gives them the option to fill those spots.

K.G
    K.G is offline Registered User

Sanchez , Curry, or Crabtree..in that order

jason smith