Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Bears crush Rams 27-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

In a game that was nowhere near as close as the lopsided final score indicates, the Bears crunched the woeful and hapless Rams 27-3 today in a funereal atmosphere at the moribund Ed Jones dome. The Rams did manage to show some improvement today in the first half over the prior two weeks by managing to muster a whopping 63 yards of total offense while managing to trail by only a 24-3 margain. At this rate of improvement, we should be ready to win another game at some point within the next two or three years. The lights are on but no one is home for the Rams, who have absolutely no pulse of any kind on either side of the ball. As usual, the Rams played an entire second half of complete garbage time.

The Good

Donnie Jones is by far the best guy on the Rams and having an all pro year. 5-249 for a 49.8 average. Our punt coverage was excellent today, due in significant part to Jones' booming kicks. His arm isnt the greatest, but his pass off the fake punt (a call i loved) was right on target. Of course, since its the Rams, the ball hit bassey in the chest between the numbers and he dropped it.

OJ continues to be around the ball. I think he caused one fumble and recovered another. He should be signed long term.
    Derek Stanley had 195 return yards, including a 75 yard kickoff return (which of course resulted in no points after a sack and a missed field goal). What travis minor was doing returning kicks i have no idea. Stanley should return every single kick. Lets see if he can make the team for next year.

The Bad

Can someone explain to me why Dane Looker is on the field? I love Looker, but there is no way in the world he is part of our future. Every rep he gets takes away from the experience that Burton and Stanley should be getting.

Our offensive line just stinks. No other way to put it. We had endless penalties and missed assignments. We allowed five sacks, the first of which got bulger knocked out of the game on the first series after bulger was off to a torid 2-2 for 11 yard start. Believe it or not, we had 19 rushes for 14 yards. Thats right guys, 19 rushes for 14 yards. Missing pace doesnt help, but that is beyond pathetic.

Trent Green was awful. 16-30-219 and 4 int's. People may be all over Bulgers case, but its quite clear that Green is not an upgrade.

Defensively, we are as bad as we have been at any point in the last several years, and that is really a low bar. We allowed 201 yards rushing and touched orton only once, and that was on a play on which orton fell down and we were credited with a sack. Its painful to watch all the missed tackles and the number of times that we get gashed right up the middle is hard to fathom. Other than the fact that we have no pass rush at all, cant tackle and have no ability to stop the run, we are a dominant defensive squad. Our defense is playing us out of games every single week. The Bears had ZERO sacks coming into today on the last 119 dropback passes against them and had five today. That tells you what you need to know about the importance of pass rush and points out what we lack (and also how bad our offensive line is at this time). The 47 yard run right up the middle for a td in the 2nd quarter says it all about the rams defense. WE are killed at the point of attack (on both sides of the line of scrimmage i might add) and we cant tackle anyone.

The Ugly

Did you see the fakhir brown INT drop that hit him in the hands/chest? Thats two weeks in a row.
    27-2, 3rd and 12, bears on their own 3. Rams offsides. Then, when we actually get pressure on orton, he somehow (bad ankle and all) gets away, throws a shovel pass, the back breaks four tackles and gets a first down.

Bassey. What a day. Drop on the fake punt on a ball that hit him in the chest and two penalties on the same punt play.

Ugliest of all is the results of the first quarter. 14-0 bears, bears 3 sacks, knockout of bulger, 135 total yards for the bears, MINUS 16 for the Rams.

Summary

This sounds like a broken record, but the truth hurts sometimes. Football is a game decided at the line of scrimmage and we are beyond terrible on both sides of the ball. Sure, we are banged up without pace and Jackson (and Little only available for a few plays and now bulger), but we just are not competitive at all. We have no pass rush, no tackling skills, no ability to pass or run block and no ability to stop the run. We are blown away at the point of attack on play after play and we show no inclination to even be close to winning a game. It is a legitimate possibility that we will lose all of our remaining games, which wouldnt necessarily be the worst thing as it will allow us to select Andre Smith (or whatever other offensive tackle we want) with the second pick. I believe it is time to call a priest and say last rites for this season. There is truly no hope. All we can do is get all the young players on the field as much as possible so we can get the best picture possible of what we have for next year.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Bears crush Rams 27-3; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The truth hurts. Thanks for summing up our misery GC....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great post GC, I agree with mostr of whaat you said, despite not seeing the game. Perhaps it's a blessing! Sounds like a busy off-season on the sidelines and on the field.

Go Rams!

nuclearman is offline Registered User

Thanks gc ... rams smell.

bigredman is offline Registered User

This game was painful to watch...it was like watching the last preseason game in the 4th quarter all game long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mh-i is offline Registered User

Ugly: Bartell being schooled by Hester. The Bears could have mined that all day long if they wanted.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Even though it seems obvious - we need to get a New OL coach - a New OL direction.

We have too many players that aren't going to change. This is their best Football - and it's not good.

I think we need to clean house - and I mean clean house.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Bartell did make one nice pass breakup at the goal line. I agree he had a tough time covering hester, but at the end of the day, without any kind of pass rush, almost any db in the nfl is going to have a tough time one on one downfield. We MUST get a pass rush. Stopping the run and learning how to tackle would also be helpful.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    This game was painful to watch...it was like watching the last preseason game in the 4th quarter all game long.
    Not so terribly dissimilar to 'Groundhog Day' withe the most glaring difference being the movie had a better ending?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Ugly: Bartell being schooled by Hester. The Bears could have mined that all day long if they wanted.
    Hester catching 5 passes for 57 yards is hardly schooling Bartell, considering 27 of that came on one play. He had two critical pass breakups, including one that prevented a touchdown. Bartell is one guy that is busting his tail every play.

Hard to cover a guy with quickness like that in space with little or no help, especially playing with a banged up knee.

The fact that the Bears did not get more from Hester is likely a testament to Bartell covering him well the majority of the time.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"Ugliest of all is ..." -- GC
    That must have been hard to select, i.e., from all our woes and wrongful doings. **Sigh**

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The fact that the Bears did not get more from Hester is likely a testament to Bartell covering him well the majority of the time.
    I think it had more to do with the Rams not being able to stop the run. The Bears didn't need to pass the ball and Orton has a bad right leg. On the 27 yard reception Bartell was spinning in circles. Yes the Rams lack a pass rush but the defensive backfield has wreaked for years. Aside from the occasional dropped INT now and then from Brown, when the Rams do manage to get a pick it's usually on a badly thrown pass or a tip. I find Bartell to be way over-rated by Rams fans. I hope they don't sink a ton of money into him in the off season.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Losing Bulger early is tough on the team. I know he hasn't played the best football, but I can assure you that he would've done better than Green.

This was a terrible game.

We obviously cannot play football on either side of the ball. We need to fix both sides of the line. We need players who can tackle.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This was a terrible game.

We obviously cannot play football on either side of the ball. We need to fix both sides of the line. We need players who can tackle.
    True...We need "players." Something that we lack altogether; with a few exceptions...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

RealRam is offline Registered User

A bit off topic from today's game, with your kind permission, GC.

From within all the bad and the ugly, can't help wondering what plan of
    action the Rams Owners will come up with to attempt to correct our ways. I still wonder if Coach Haslett wants to be signed HC for a few more years. //

Will the team end up elsewhere -- can they be moved to another city?

It just seems we have too little of the good to work with! **Blind stare**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast