Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Before it gets ugly, let's give Faulk his due

Trust me, its only going to get worse...

With all the rumblings about Marshall Faulk - supposedly not getting along with Linehan (seems bogus)... out of shape (seems accurate)... knees still a problem (almost certainly true)... considering retirement... might go on IR and try a comeback next year (could that be just for cap reasons?) - it seems likely that his exit from the game won't be an Elwayesque final moment of glory followed by the proverbial ride off into the sunset.

Its a shame when a great player isn't able to enjoy a storybook exit. I felt that way about Aeneas Williams' fade out, for example. And though Marshall will certainly have at least one more moment in the sun when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame, that's a few years off.

For now, its just messy.

So... before it gets even worse, I thought I'd start a thread for us to post a Faulk memory. Certainly, he's given a lot to the fans with his electrifying performances, and he deserves his due.

For me, its wasn't one game or one moment that stands out. Rather, it was a feeling that I had at the start of every game during the 1999-2001 run. The feeling that, no matter who the Rams were playing, there was no question that the best player on the field (at any position) was Faulk. It was like, I would imagine, the way Bulls fans felt when Jordan was in his prime.

Oddsmakers, matchups, home field advantage... none of those things mattered. If Faulk was on the field, he was the best player out there and, as a result, the Rams had a chance to win.

I miss that feeling.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Before it gets ugly, let's give Faulk his due

The block he made against the blitzing S of the Titans in the third quarter of the Super Bowl that allowed Warner to find Holt in the end zone for the first touchdown is what made him so special to me as a Ram.

Rambos is offline Registered User

For me it was when I read in the paper we just got Marshal in a trade. I was on a business trip and was sitting on the runway as I read it. I can still remember reading it like yesterday because I knew it was hugh. I could not believe we got him and what little we gave up. Living in so. Cal and watching him play at San Diego, I knew he was going to be unreal. If this is it for Marshal, I can’t wait to see him go in the Hall!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Every inside shovel pass from Warner to Faulk. It was so smooth.....Warner would flip the ball to Faulk through the line, and then the dance began. Marshall and his 7 dance partners would begin their tango towards the goal line. Mmm, that was good stuff back then.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

denverram is offline Registered User

The screen pass against Tennessee during the regular season. Out in the flat for something like 70 yards. It began the comeback during that game. We still lost but we were down by like 20 pts at half and almost came back to win.

We ran the same play in the Spuerbowl and it almost went for 6 that time as well.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

When we got Faulk, the rams we're the laughing stock of the game. I thought for sure he would hold out , but to my amazement , he played and changed a team that I never thought would win it all into the team that did! Marshall..............I don't know how to thank you!!!!! So i guess him coming to the worst team in the NFL and playing is the greatest moment for me!
    Last edited by theodus69; -07-11-2006 at 11:29 AM.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Just how he could stop on a dime and change directions..... How he did it stills boggles my mind....

Marshall thank you for the ride... I wish it was a little longer however the quality was outstanding..... Absolutely no doubt in my mind the Rams could not have done it without you.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It was my birthday in 1999 when I heard one of the greatest news in Rams history. The St. Louis Rams just made a trade for Marshall Faulk. I will never forget that day for as long as I live. Best birthday present I have ever received.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

what i'll miss about Marshall is his eyes checking down on the defense, the same way Wibur Marshall did it for the Bears on defense. The look was pure, he study where every player was & how that fit our plans. I will miss his eyes glaring out over the Defense. Thanks, Marshall you made the Rams a very special offense unit with your dedication to the game.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

The Titans game regular season 99. The Rams were trying to make the comeback and there was Holt or Hakim pretty sure Holt down on the field. Faulk did not want the timeout wasted so he picked him up said "stand there till the snap" and went back to his position. He had saved the timeout. It was a small moment but it just showed how much he knew the game and how dedicated he was to winning.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

My favorite Faulk memory comes from the 2001 NFC Championship game (I believe) against the Eagles, where in the second half Faulk runs left toward nothing and ends up completely changing direction to gain huge yardage on the right side of the field. To me, that one play personified the danger of Marshall Faulk as a running back.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

So few years, so many memories. It's best to remember that it is quality that counts not quantity, and with Faulk we got nothing but quality. The memory that I have that sticks out more than anything is not a great flashy play, but a great heads up play that truly shows the greatness of Faulk. The play has already been mentioned but its worth mentioning again. It was the regular season game against the Titans in 1999 and the Rams were making that frantic comeback. Hakim had just ran down the field and was tired, having a hard time getting up. I thought for sure the Rams would call a timeout. Faulk ran down, picked up Hakim and lined him up so he wouldn't be offsides and then got himself line up. To me that was true brilliance. How many players would have had the forethought to do something like that? Not many in my opinion.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Here is a video package of Faulk. Too many great memories to list just one for me. Just add the t in http for the link.
    htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6ejbjpmu0

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    Here is a video package of Faulk. Too many great memories to list just one for me. Just add the t in http for the link.
    htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6ejbjpmu0
    The guy did another one (click here) that I think is good as well. Many of the same clips, many new additions, something like double the length. Seems like more stuff from the '99 season, as well as the '01 NFC Championship run I referenced.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Sheesh!!!! After watching those videos I was reminded of those feet. Was there ever anyone quicker at the stutter step? he moved sideways so quick. If he was not so great at receiving I think the man might would have challenged Emmits rushing record. Marshall is my favorite player of all time period. I loved watching him play. Thank you for the memories we will never forget what you did for this team. Please come back as a RB consultant.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast