Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 3 Post By laram0

Thread: Before Goodell metes out any punishments he should watch and listen to this ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Before Goodell metes out any punishments he should watch and listen to this ..

NFL Video - NFL - FOX Sports on MSN

If any of the mods know how to embed this video, please feel free to do so ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Before Goodell metes out any punishments he should watch and listen to this ..

I'm not a big Joe Horn fan, but he's basically right. The Commissioner knows he's right too. This issue is a worst case scenario for the NFL, but their hand is probably forced at this point with the Saints. They have to set an example and unfortunately for the Saints, they were the ones wo got caught red handed first. That said, the league has a huge credibility problem because they knew what the Saints were doing months ago during the season, but didn't move then to punish them, only warning them to stop. Why the Saints didn't stop is mind boggling, but it looks like they're going to pay for it.

Just an enormous mess that has no end in sight. No one comes off well in this nightmare.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Before Goodell metes out any punishments he should watch and listen to this ..

If only half the teams in the league are guilty of some form of the "bounty system," (I personally believe it is much more), then dumping on the Saints is the easy and cowardly way out. This affliction appears to have been widespread throughout the league for many years. Making an example out of one team is weak at this point. We are officially in the off-season - there should be ample time for a thorough investigation. If the NFL has been ignoring the elephant in the room for years, what good is beating up the Saints?

I think the NFL (i.e. Rodger the Dodger) has some explaining to do. How long has the NFL had its head in the sand? Has this been going on for the last 10 years .. 20 years ?? Seems to me that the Saints scenario is just the tip of a very large iceberg. Rodger Goodell needs to earn his money by devising a plan to eliminate this pervasive and longstanding problem. Simply beating up the Saints and maybe another team or two isn't going to get it in my book. If this bounty system has been going on league wide for years then it is time to admit it. Perhaps a "one time" amnesty program should be considered, so that the all the truth will come out, after which penalties for future transgressions can be set in place that will be strong and effective deterrents.

In college, teams can be banned from Bowl games. There is no reason to believe this would not work in the pros. If a team were to be found guilty in the future of employing the "bounty system," how about banning that team from competing in the playoffs for a year or two? What player or coach would want to be responsible for doing that to his teammates? Penalties should directly affect an entire team period - from the owner on down ..

If the NFL truly wishes to stop this practice, it must start by coming clean and clearing the air .. Thoughts ??
    Fat Pang likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Making an example out of one team is weak at this point.
    I agree, but at this point, the NFL has pretty much boxed themselves in and don't have any other options. They should have thought this out before jerking their knee.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Unfortunately whatever penalties come down, losing draft picks etc.. The fans of any team involved are the real losers.
    MauiRam, ramsbruce and Fat Pang like this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Here's the CBS video with Jimmy, Buddy & Ditka fighting over bounties in 1989. Credit to @GreshandZo. Fantastic:

Yes obviously Goodell was truely shocked........
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -03-06-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

This is quite ugly, and it'll probably get worse. I am not sure what the right punishment would be. Naturally the Saints, as a whole, are going to be affected the most. Regardless, I'm hoping Williams gets whatever punishment Goodell intends to give him as soon as possible so we as an organization can move on. I don't think this is the kind of publicity we need right now, not to mention a reputation.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

lmao @ Ditka... straight puts it on Buddy Ryan...

god this been going on forever and some people are amazed in Clanram that it happens and want to demonize it... WAKE UP!!