Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Belichick Denies Taping Rams Before Superbowl ..

Updated: February 18, 2008, 12:59 AM EST
    BOSTON (AP) - Patriots coach Bill Belichick broke his silence on New England's twin taping controversies, denying he told anyone to tape the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl and apologizing for all the attention generated by Spygate. Belichick also told the Boston Globe he "couldn't pick Matt Walsh out of a lineup." Walsh, a former Patriots employee, reportedly taped St. Louis' walkthrough practice the day before the Patriots beat the Rams 20-17 in the championship.

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film prior to playing that team," Belichick said in a story posted on the Globe's Web site Sunday night. "I have never authorized, or heard of, or even seen in any way, shape, or form any other team's walkthrough. We don't even film our own."

Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli also told the newspaper that part of the reason Walsh was fired in January 2003 was because he secretly recorded conversations between himself and Pioli.

Michael Levy, Walsh's attorney, said Pioli's account was a "complete fabrication."

"This is a predictable and pathetic effort to smear Mr. Walsh's character rather than confront the truth about the Patriots' conduct," Levy said in the Globe story.

Levy has said his client is willing to turn over videotapes he made for the team if the NFL guarantees Walsh protection from lawsuits or other legal action.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has said he offered Walsh a deal requiring him "to tell the truth and he has to return anything he took improperly" in return for indemnity, but Levy has said the deal doesn't go far enough.

Goodell fined Belichick $500,000, the Patriots $250,000 and took away a first-round draft choice after the Patriots were caught taping New York Jets' coaches in last year's season opener, a 38-14 New England victory.

Belichick said he misinterpreted the rule, which he felt only prohibited taping that could be used during the same game.

He also apologized for the controversy the taping caused.

"I respect the integrity of the game and always have and always will," he said in the Globe story. "I regret that any of this, or to whatever extent, it has in any way brought that into question or discussion or debate. The decision was made by the commissioner, the practice was immediately stopped, and we're not doing it.

"Just going back over the whole taping incident, if I contacted the league and asked them about the practice, I'm sure they would have told me - as they have done - that it is not permissible. Then I could have avoided all of this.

"I take responsibility for it," he said. "Even though I felt there was a gray area in the rule and I misinterpreted the rule, that was my mistake and we've been penalized for it. I apologize to everybody that is involved - the league, the other teams, the fans, our team, for the amount of conversation and dialogue that it's caused."

The day before the Patriots' 17-14 loss to the New York Giants in this year's Super Bowl, the Boston Herald reported New England taped St. Louis' walkthrough before the first of the Patriots' three Super Bowl victories. In a walkthrough, teams practice plays at a slower pace than normal without pads or helmets.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James did not return phone calls or an e-mail seeking comment Sunday night.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Belichick denies taping Rams before Super Bowl
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-18-2008 at 04:32 AM.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Belichick Denies Taping Rams Before Superbowl ..

Uh, huh.

We would really like to believe you Mr. Boy that cried wolf.

We really would.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It all comes down to how Belichick interprets the NFL League Rule.

That says it all....Belicheat is looking for any advantage he can get, fair or otherwise. Funny how he's the only coach ever in the NFL that misinterpretted the rule.:x
    Last edited by laram0; -02-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Darth Hoodie is a fraud. His credibility is right up there with barry bonds and roger clemens as far as i am concerned. Ignorance is not an excuse even if its true that he didnt know it was illegal, which is strongly doubt.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramer is offline Registered User

I don't beleive Belicheat for one minute. He's guilty!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Ofcourse he's guilty Ramer.

Just like when a guy gets a girl pregnant, for some part, he probably will deny it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The question you should be asking yourself isn't whether Belichick is lying. Of course he is.

The question you should be asking yourself is, why are the Patriots going out of their way to state their denials publicly at this time?

The answer is equally obvious to me.

The Patriots know that there is a reasonable chance that, before long, Walsh will produce incriminating videotapes. To prepare for that contingency, they are laying the groundwork to claim that they had no idea that Walsh was taping opposing teams. They'll portray him as a rogue who was doing all this on his own.

Mark my words. That is exactly how this will play out.

majorram is offline Registered User

Makes me laugh this statement... BELICHICK DENIES IT.....cause he does.. he's not going to come out and say that they Taped the walkthrough.......:\

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The question you should be asking yourself isn't whether Belichick is lying. Of course he is.

The question you should be asking yourself is, why are the Patriots going out of their way to state their denials publicly at this time?

The Patriots know that there is a reasonable chance that, before long, Walsh will produce incriminating videotapes. To prepare for that contingency, they are laying the groundwork to claim that they had no idea that Walsh was taping opposing teams. They'll portray him as a rogue who was doing all this on his own.

Right on target Av .. Haven't they already said the reason for Walsh's dismissal was because he was secretly taping conversations with one of his superiors? Yep the guy was an uncontrollable maverick whom the poor Pats had to terminate because he was such a sneaky guy ..

RealRam is offline Registered User

"I never used steroids". -- MLB players credo

bigredman is offline Registered User

This reminds me of when a woman walks in on her husband in bed with another woman and exclaims after denying he's been unfaithful:
    "Hey are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Right on target Av .. Haven't they already said the reason for Walsh's dismissal was because he was secretly taping conversations with one of his superiors? Yep the guy was an uncontrollable maverick whom the poor Pats had to terminate because he was such a sneaky guy ..
    And of course it's all a coincidence that they tell us why he was fired immediately after his lawyer discloses that Walsh has tapes with a big capital 's' that would shine a rather bad light on their "dynasty".

It's obvious that Goodell just wanted to end it all quickly and not even attempt to get to the bottom of it. I mean, look at the order of events:
    • Before 2006 season: memo sent to all teams saying that any videotaping of any sort is illegal. Belichick misinterprets this to be any taping but that done by him.
    • 2006 season: Pats video official found taping during Green Bay game, forced to leave game. I don't know what happened to that tape.
    • Before 2007 season: similar memo sent out to all teams; again, Belichick thinks this refers to everyone else but him.
    • Week 1: Jets identify Pats videographer and Spygate is born.
    • Goodell to Pats: "Have you done this before and do you have any evidence against you?" Pats: "Oh, yeah, sorry."
    • Goodell gives out fines and loss of what will be 31st pick in the draft.
    • Pats then hand over 6 tapes and X pages of notes.
    • NFL looks at and then destroys evidence, feeling that because they couldn't use it to affect a game, the Pats couldn't either. Goodell hopes this will all just go away as he's fine with public airings of suspensions concerning individuals and their legal problems, but when it comes to something concerning the fairness and legitimacy of the sport, it has to be kept on the down low.
    • Former Pats video department official says that he has more evidence, but Goodell feels he's done his job so he dismisses his claims. Walsh wants to come out, but no media outlet will agree to pay for any legal actions against him.
    • Pats run up the score on everyone because their coach is whiny and pissed off that his notes are gone, plus they hope no one remembers that they've cheated. Instead, everyone but Goodell wonders if the Pats case against themselves was really everything and know that they made copies of everything before they gave it to the NFL anyway.
    • Pats go 18-0, bringing the media circus down on Foxboro's head and the media remembers that Spygate just happened this year so they revive it. Boston Globe reports that the Rams got their second ring stolen by a video tape of their final walkthrough, which happened to be red zone plays that then didn't work the next day. Walsh doesn't say he was nor does he deny he was the one who did the taping. Arlen Specter starts going "huh?" to the non-investigation and starts wanting to investigate himself.
    • Belichick desperately wishes that he had the Giants' defensive signals during the Super Bowl, but doesn't because he couldn't film during week 17 matchup in NYC. Pats go on to lose because they actually have to play straight up. However, children in Latin America will never forget how the Patriots went 19-0 after they are given shirts and hats after they are taught what the hell American Football is.
    • Specter and Goodell meet, and Specter realizes what a sham this whole thing is and starts the ball rolling for a congressional investigation including amnesty for Walsh so he can finally share what he has. Goodell admits that Belichick admitted to taping teams ever since the 2000 season and thinks that it never had an effect on a game, despite the fact that the season that they started taping sucked horrendously in 2000 and then once they got a catalog of tapes they get to a super bowl against a team that crushed them in the regular season, and then win by three points with a 6th round QB.
    • Pats poop their pants, start laying P.R. blitz on Walsh and deny that the RNC broke into the Watergate hotel. Rest of world sees right through Belichick's denial and await the evidence as they ask why Belichick suddenly has a dog named Checkers and a sweating problem.
    If you couldn't tell, I believe that they are guilty as sin, but that's because I believe that Walsh has the goods, and that eventually it will come out. If that's not the case then I truely think that nothing will change and the punishment will stand. However, this is a turning point for Goodell; if he's the one to jump on a renewed investigation, he has a chance to not only uncover the real truth, but to show himself to be a great commissioner for the game. If, however, it requires a congressional hearing to bring out the truth and it's shown that Goodell resists, I think that the rest of the league will lose faith and we could even see a new commissioner at the end of next year, despite what Vermiel and Rooney say now.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I agree, but for a different reason. Belichick has always pleaded the 5th when asked any question about his cheating...

but in this case, I actually believe him, because he only denies one specific thing. Watching film of a practice or walk-through.

He says this because of 2 things:

#1. The video he used to cheat for that superbowl was their regular season game against the Rams with the defense signals, etc..., not the walk-through

#2. One of the coaches probably asked the guy to stay behind and film the walk-through just in case there is anything useful, but figured there wouldn't be...and the guy probably told Belichick after filming it, no, nothing useful (and there was only 1 day left, so he didn't bother watching it.) He said he never authorized it either, but probably because on of his coaches asked the guy to stay behind, and not him.

So he probably never has watched a walk-through or practice. So he's able to come out and deny this one specific thing.

GameTime is offline Registered User

AV, You are truly an asset to this website. Wasnt even thinking about why they are making these comments.

I dont think that congress should be spending money on this investigation for all of american citizens, but they can keep my rebate check in may if they investigate this to end.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

AV being the accomplished lawyer that you are, you beat me to the punch. Only you said it better than I would have.

Once again, I repeat myself. This is going NO WHERE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-18-2008, 10:33 AM