RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Bennett is determined to improve

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/27/2008

When he awoke Sunday morning with soreness in his groin, Rams wide receiver Drew Bennett had a sinking feeling of dťjŗ vu.

"I was like, 'Man, I've been healthy through training camp; this is not what I need right now,'" he said.

A year ago, Bennett pulled a muscle in his left thigh near the end of training camp. He missed the first regular-season game, hobbled through the next five, then strained a hamstring in his right leg, sidelining him again.

After amassing 273 catches, 4,033 yards and 25 touchdowns in six seasons with Tennessee, Bennett finished the first season of his six-year, $30 million free-agent deal here with only 33 receptions, 375 yards and three TDs.

Determined to prove that he's worth the Rams' investment, and fueled by the challenge of moving into the No. 2 wideout spot opened when Isaac Bruce was released, Bennett charged into this summer with renewed vigor.

"I thought he was having a real solid camp," coach Scott Linehan said.

While pleased that the injury doesn't appear to be serious and that he should be ready for the regular-season opener Sept. 7, Bennett wasn't quite so charitable in evaluating his play.

"I have some things to work on," he said. "I've had a few drops that I don't want to carry into the season."

He conceded that he wasn't at his best last year, either, as he struggled adjusting from his No. 1 wideout spot with the Titans to No. 3 with the Rams. And he knows that he's not exactly a fan favorite here, particularly after the popular Bruce wound up with the *****.

"I just have to do what I can do and not try to compare myself to a guy that's going to be in the Hall of Fame," Bennett said. "I've just got to be me and play my game."

INJURY REPORT

Bennett won't play Thursday night, when the Rams conclude their preseason schedule in Kansas City. Others unlikely to see action because of injuries are cornerback Fakhir Brown (shoulder), wide receiver Dante Hall (ankle), tight end Joe Klopfenstein (knee), center Brett Romberg (hand), cornerback Darius Vinnett (knee) and linebacker Will Witherspoon (groin).

ON THE MEND

After missing nine games last year with a sprain high on his left ankle, Hall limped off the field Saturday night fearing he had reprised the injury.

"It was very painful the first two days," he said. "But it's turned around a lot. As soon as I can get my lateral movement back, I'm fine."

Hall received "great news," he said, when an MRI exam showed that the sprain was low in the joint this time.

"Any time it's low, it's just a matter of rehabbing it and getting the swelling down," he explained. "When it's high ... that's almost worse than a break."

ROSTER CUTS

Linehan, who meets with every player he cuts, had bad news Tuesday for running back Lavarus Giles, kicker Justin Medlock and wide receiver Shaine Smith. They were released, and rookie cornerback Justin King was placed on injured reserve, getting the Rams to the league-mandated 75-man roster limit.

King, a fourth-round draft pick, suffered a season-ending toe injury in the team's first preseason game. NFL rosters must be trimmed to 53 by Saturday afternoon.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams were granted a roster exemption for former holdout Steven Jackson through Friday, meaning that he doesn't count against the 75-man limit. ... The Rams, who normally travel the day before a game, won't leave for Kansas City until Thursday morning. "Just to try to get more done (at Rams Park) in a short week," Linehan said.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

Re: Bennett is determined to improve

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    finished the first season of his six-year, $30 million free-agent deal here with only 33 receptions, 375 yards and three TDs.
    30 million 6 year deal? I wonder what we could have got if we spent that elsewhere?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    30 million 6 year deal? I wonder what we could have got if we spent that elsewhere?
    Don't kinow what we could have got, but we could have kept Ike.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Think that we EDDY D to come in ,buy the team and I think things will turn around. Im a strong believer that you need an owner who knows football. Georgia had good advisers , but I won't to see an owner that knows what he or she wants . Maybe aquisitions like these won't happen . But he is here so let's hope he improves!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Shower Beers is determined to improve Bennett...in Madden. I think that's the best we're going to get from him, unfortunately.

I'd really like to be proven wrong though.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Our RAMS should be pursuing a refund from Bennett based on his 1st years very low production!!!!

You all knew someone was going to open that can of worms.
    Last edited by laram0; -08-28-2008 at 01:39 PM.