RamWraith is offline Registered User

Bennett hopes to add to Rams' offense

He'll get passes, Linehan assures his No. 3 receiver

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

Drew Bennett isn't afraid of collecting dust as the St. Louis Rams' No. 3 wide receiver behind Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

"I'm not worried about that," Bennett said Tuesday during the opening day of the Rams' mandatory minicamp. "After seeing the film from last year, and I've now been in the offense for 12 or 13 practices, I've seen what goes around and the amount of offense that is there. I'm not worried about who is going to be catching the balls or how many I'm going to get."

Bennett said Rams coach Scott Linehan reassured him about having a substantial role in the offense before he signed a six-year, $30 million contract as a free agent back in March.

"That was one of the sales pitches for here," Bennett said. "He said, 'I like the idea of getting you the ball. There are plenty of balls to go around. We had the most (pass) attempts in the NFL last year. You know we throw the football."'

The 6-foot-5 Bennett gives the Rams the kind of tall target in the red zone that they've lacked. However, Linehan said Bennett is a good all-around receiver who is a threat anywhere on the field.

"After watching all the film, he's very effective down there, but he's also been a pretty darn good receiver from the start of the drive to the finish of the drive," Linehan said of Bennett, who had 80 receptions for 1,247 and 11 touchdowns for the Tennessee Titans in 2004. "Drew will find his niche. He'll make his presence known in all phases of our offense. It's going to be fun to move all three of those guys around and put them in different spots."

Bennett also feels like he can be more than just red-zone receiver in the Rams' offense.

"I feel like I can add a lot to this team," Bennett said. "I think can compliment those other two guys very well."

Bennett said he enjoyed working with both Holt and Bruce during the minicamp.

"They are well known around the NFL," Bennett said. "They are the duo that puts up huge numbers every year. Every receiver kind of keeps an eye out for them to see what kind of numbers they are putting up. A lot of receivers, including myself, have had a lot of respect for them for a long time."

Injury update

Wide receiver Torry Holt, left tackle Orlando Pace and defensive end James Hall -- all coming back from offseason surgeries -- were able to participate fully in the minicamp.

"Orlando and James, we want to kind of test their limits a little bit now as opposed to waiting," Linehan said. "It's good for their confidence."

Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa participated in the minicamp on a limited basis. He wore a red jersey signaling that he was off limits for contact as he comes back from offseason shoulder surgery.

"Pisa is still a month out, but other than that, we should be full-go," Linehan said.

Quick hits

The only player not on the practice field on Tuesday morning was second-year cornerback Tye Hill, who was sent to the doctor to get treatment for an infection in his leg.

"We're ultraconservative on it," Linehan said. "He was at the meetings this morning, but we sent him to the doctor just to make sure it wasn't anything serious."

Linehan said he expected to see Hill practicing with the Rams on Wednesday, though he had yet to consult with the team's medical staff.

• Rookie defensive tackle Adam Carriker, the 13th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, was working with the starting unit on Tuesday.

Linehan said Carriker will line up at the nose guard position where Jimmy Kennedy, who was traded to the Denver Broncos last week, played last season. He also could see some action at the three-technique position where La' Roi Glover is the returning starter.

"Right now, it's hard to say because we don't have pads, but I am just amazed at how well he has progressed playing inside," Linehan said of Carriker, who played defensive end at the University of Nebraska. "I think he weighed in at his physical at 312 or 313 (pounds), which is amazing. He is a man."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bennett hopes to add to Rams' offense

"Right now, it's hard to say because we don't have pads, but I am just amazed at how well he has progressed playing inside," Linehan said of Carriker, who played defensive end at the University of Nebraska. "I think he weighed in at his physical at 312 or 313 (pounds), which is amazing. He is a man."
    Hope this carries over in pads.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

"I'm not worried about that," Bennett said Tuesday during the opening day of the Rams' mandatory minicamp. "After seeing the film from last year, and I've now been in the offense for 12 or 13 practices, I've seen what goes around and the amount of offense that is there. I'm not worried about who is going to be catching the balls or how many I'm going to get."
    Why does this sound familiar? Yet another guy with a great attitude. There is definitely something special building in St. Louis IMO.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Bennett hopes to add to Rams' offense

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Why does this sound familiar? Yet another guy with a great attitude. There is definitely something special building in St. Louis IMO.

It sounds familiar because you're right, Mike. It's special.

The Rams are one of the NFL teams that is keeping close check on the team's image and the comportment of its players. It may not be the top priority to win a championship but it's still a win-win situation in avoiding silly, embarrasing, or costly blunders with the media / the law / the fans.

I saw Bennett in an NFL or ESPN interview in May (?) and he certainly sounds like a good man, a good, mature professional, glad to be with the Rams. I feel very confident about his contributions for 2007.

Coach Linehan is giving this attitude aspect the necessary priority. Good job. :r

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "He is a man."
    HE IS A BEAST!