Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    majorram is offline Registered User

Bennett.. what would it take!!

Guys what are we looking at to grab Bennett from the Saints....A third or maybe A Fourth or a conditional pick based on how he proforms??

is a third to high???

thoughts

steve:ramlogo:

"The breakfast Club"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bennett.. what would it take!!

There's been no official rumblings of what it would take to get him, to my knowledge. But IMO, a third is way too high, though I figure that's probably what the Saints are looking for.

I think we'll end up giving a fourth, though I'd prefer it to be a fifth. I really would have some strong objections to trading a 2007 first day draft pick for a back-up player.

I mean, when players like Daunte Culpepper are being had for a second round pick, you're going to have a hard time convincing me that Bennett is worth a third. So we'll see what happens and how desperate the front office and coaching staff are to fill this hole.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    Guys what are we looking at to grab Bennett from the Saints....A third or maybe A Fourth or a conditional pick based on how he proforms??

is a third to high???

thoughts

steve:ramlogo:
    Like any value when pertaining to an asset ie in this case a sportsman, they are worth what the buying/club trading for feels they are worth, or even how desperate they are to land the man,

As Nick mentions, Miami got Culpepper for a 2nd, was we rubbing our hands in glee when we landed Faulk for a 2nd and 5th?.. all relative to the situation.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think its apples to apples to compare it to the culpepper situation. Dante was demanding a raise and he had worn out his welcome. The league new that the vikes were in a position of weakness and really wanted to get out of him. Thus, they took the best offer they could get. Also, remember anyone trading for dante had to pay him big money.

When a player is traded, the compensation is not just a function of that players ability, but the money and cap and other circumstances as well. I agree with the prior post that a player (or anything else for that matter) is worth whatever someone will pay at any given time, thus, if the saints are desparate to trade bennett (which they dont appear to be) the price is different than if they are willing to trade him if someone really pays up.

I am fine with a #4 but i agree that a #3 is too high for a backup.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

The ONLY WAY I'd give them a 3rd Round pick is if we got a 4th Rounder and Bennett back from them. And I'm still not even sure I'd give them a 3rd. The most I'd give up is a 4th Round pick.
    RamsFan16

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

How bout this, Steven Jackson just doesn't get hurt.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

since mr. jackson has not proven he can stay healthy for an entire season, i dont think a 3rd is to much,we may very well need bennett by the end of the season. so many people get hung up on a 3rd,a 4th, a 5th,round pick we #1 we have no ideal who that person will be and #2 its next season anyways,its only 1 pick,not 3 or 4 picks, heres an ideal,lets try and win THIS season and worry about the draft next april.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    since mr. jackson has not proven he can stay healthy for an entire season
    Jackson missed 1 full game last year, so let's not make it like he's injury prone.
    15 games out of 16 games is pretty darn good.

Of course we still need Bennett or someone comparable, but it's not because Jackson can't stay healthy for a season.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

since mr. jackson has not proven he can stay healthy for an entire season, i dont think a 3rd is to much,we may very well need bennett by the end of the season. so many people get hung up on a 3rd,a 4th, a 5th,round pick we #1 we have no ideal who that person will be and #2 its next season anyways,its only 1 pick,not 3 or 4 picks, heres an ideal,lets try and win THIS season and worry about the draft next april.
    I disagree. Because of salary cap constraints, the draft is very important to the long-term success of the team. Is trading for Bennett really that much better than signing a free agent like Moe Williams and then drafting somebody like Byrd, Wroten, Atogwe, or Incognito (all third round picks)? I wouldn't want to go higher than a fourth rounder. If the price is too high we have other options.

that one game could be the one we need to make the playoffs,but i agree with you,i'll take 15 out of 16, didnt he miss some time his rookie season also ?

so many people get hung up on a 3rd,a 4th, a 5th,round pick we #1 we have no ideal who that person will be and #2 its next season anyways,its only 1 pick,not 3 or 4 picks, heres an ideal,lets try and win THIS season and worry about the draft next april.
    So by that logic, why don't we trade all our draft picks for talent to help this year's team, and we can worry about it next april? Hmm, not a good strategy, is it? First of all, as the Redskins have shown time and time again, going out and spending heavily to try and have success doesn't guarantee success. Furthermore, is it any coincidence that good teams like Pittsburgh have made such good use of their draft selections and have many of them playing key roles on their team? Somehow I doubt it.

To address your two points with one real counter argument, you're right in that we have no idea who could be there in the third round and it is only one pick. But let's look at what previous single third round picks have brought us in the past: Wroten, Alston, Byrd, Atogwe, Incognito, Hargrove, Curtis. Leonard Little was a third round pick in 1998. Furthermore, look at other third round caliber players from this last draft: Eric Winston, Abdul Hodge, Leonard Pope, Brian Calhoun, Charlie Whitehurst, Derek Hagan, Brodie Croyle.

So yeah, while we have no idea who specifically is going to be there, I'd say there's a pretty good shot that some very promising and talented prospects will be available at that spot, and judging by our current team's use of third round picks such as Atogwe, Incognito, Hargrove, Curtis, and Little, it's not out of the question to think a future third round pick could develop into a quality starter for us.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

that one game could be the one we need to make the playoffs,but i agree with you,i'll take 15 out of 16, didnt he miss some time his rookie season also ?
    Possibly that one game could be the one game we need to make the playoffs, but that one game doesn't qualify him as injury prone.

He started 3 games, and played in 14 games in his rookie season. Whether he missed those 2 games due to injury or a coaches decision I'm not sure, but missing 3 games out of 32 is ok with me.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

nick first of all i didnt say give up all our picks, i said 1#3 pick to make us better this year is not a bad thing and for every name you throw out there as a good 3rd rounder theres another who is selling hot dogs at the dome. also of those names you listed how many have made the pro bowl ? LITTLE-1 nick,i hope all of our picks turn out to be superstars,but is that realistic,i dont think so,1 number 3 pick for alittle running back insurance i think would be a good move.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-01-2006 at 06:27 PM.

nick first of all i didnt say give up all our picks
    Nor did I claim you did, but it certainly fits the logic you are using: "lets try and win THIS season and worry about the draft next april."

If you want to win this season and don't want to worry about the draft until April, then it would be logical to trade all your picks to try and win now, since trading all of them would likely get more talent for your current team.

Like I said, sacrificing the future to win now is not a good strategy.

for every name you throw out there as a good 3rd rounder theres another who is selling hot dogs at the dome.
    All the more reason to trade all the picks away, right?

Heh, kidding of course. But look back at the third rounders we've selected in the last three drafts. All of them look to be playing significant roles on this team. So I'd say we're doing fairly well in recent years in evaluating third round talent.

But if your argument is that for every good player there's also another who doesn't make it, that applies to every round. So if that's your logic as to why a third round pick is expendable, then again, all the picks should be expendable, and we're once again back to the ridiculous notion of trading away all our picks.

There's risk in everything. The successful teams are the ones who do as much as they can to minimize the risk of incoming rookies. The successful teams are not the ones who trade first day draft picks for temporary back-up role players.

also of those names you listed how many have made the pro bowl ?
    I didn't realize a team had to be full of Pro Bowlers to be successful...?

Let's see what we have with those names: a potential statrer at TE, a DT that has already worked his way into nickel packages, a starting FS, a starting LG, and two starting DEs.

So, the question becomes are you willing to risk losing a future starter for a back-up RB now? I certainly am not. That's why a later pick, such as a fourth or fifth, makes much more sense.

1 number 3 pick for alittle running back insurance i think would be a good move.
    But, IMO, it wouldn't be good value. And it's the teams that maximize their value that are truly successful in this league.

nick your points are well taken and guess i sound like i dont think draft picks are important,i dont mean to,i just think giving up 1 draft pick for bennett is a good move, if we can get him for a 4th thats even better but i would be willing to do the #3.look how bad we struggled when bulger went down,and dont misread this i am not saying bennett is as good as jackson,but the drop off is far less than the other guys we have.we could debate this forever but lets see how it plays out. best case the backup running back never sees the field due to a jackson injury.thanks for the replies its been fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast