MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Berlin Revved and Ready ...

Berlin Ready for Chance
    Thursday, November 29, 2007

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

It wasn’t that long ago that Brock Berlin was considered one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation. Coming out of Shreveport (Louis.) Evangel Christian High, Berlin was one of the most sought after signal callers in the country.

There, he won three straight state titles and was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year and the USA Today National Offensive Player of the Year. Those credentials landed him a scholarship to Florida , where he was expected to continue.

After a difficult start and a transfer to Miami , Berlin never quite hit his stride and fell short of becoming the NFL quarterback many expected.

Now almost three years after leaving college, Berlin is getting his first real opportunity on a NFL roster.

“This is my first time being on (an active roster) so I am excited about it and helping the team any way I can,” Berlin said. “It really doesn’t change anything. I am pretty much doing the same thing but I’ll put the pads on Sunday and be ready if called upon.”

The Rams promoted Berlin from the practice squad on Tuesday after placing linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa on injured reserve, effectively ending his season. With starting quarterback Marc Bulger out because of a concussion this week, Berlin is now just one play from being on the field.

Rams coach Scott Linehan believes Berlin is ready for the challenge.

“He’s ready for the quarterback position,” Linehan said. “Brock’s a very capable quarterback. He’s been a journeyman since he came out of college. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do. He got a number of snaps in preseason. He’s played in the system or a system like our system.”

It has indeed been a long journey from once sought high school superstar to college vagabond to NFL journeyman to a NFL roster, but Berlin has taken all of it in stride.

Berlin was undrafted out of Miami in 2005, but signed a free agent contract with the Dolphins. Berlin did not make the roster out of training camp, but Miami allocated him to the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe.

During the 2006 preseason, Berlin fared OK for the Dolphins but didn’t make the roster. Dallas signed Berlin on April 25 of this year, but was released a couple of weeks later.

The Rams signed him on May 18 and he showed some moxie early in the preseason. Berlin finished the preseason eight-of-13 for 85 yards with no touchdowns and an interception. He struggled some as the preseason went on and the Rams placed him on the practice squad after making the decision to carry just two quarterbacks on the roster.

Still, Linehan saw something he liked in Berlin in their time together with the Dolphins and that has inspired enough confidence for Berlin to step into the backup role this week.

“He has a lot of experience,” Linehan said. “He’s been playing his whole life. He’s been behind center, so if we were to call upon him he would be able to step in nicely because he knows the system and he knows where to put the ball.”

For his part, Berlin believes the work he has put in since working on the practice squad has him ready for anything that comes his way.

“I feel real good,” Berlin said. “I have prepared all year long and prepared myself to play even though I knew I wasn’t going to. Whatever the case, I will be ready to play if need be.”

TOUGH BREAKS: The man Berlin replaced on the roster is Tinoisamoa, who has struggled to stay healthy the past two seasons after being a rock in his first few seasons.

Tinoisamoa suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee in the second quarter against Seattle . He had been optimistic about playing again this season, but it was determined his return would not come in time for him to finish the season.

This is something I couldn’t control so I feel better about that,” Tinoisamoa said. “If it’s something that I could have done something about I’d be a little more frustrated. I think I am more frustrated because it was kind of a freaky thing that happened.”

Tinoisamoa will not require surgery on the knee and expects to be healthy enough to return soon after the season ends.

NJURY REPORT: Linehan made it official that Bulger will be out after he failed to pass his baseline tests Wednesday night. Cornerback Eric Bassey is also out this week.

There were a couple of surprising additions to the did not practice list Thursday. Cornerback Fakhir Brown (tailbone) did not practice and his status for this week is in question.

“He came in and got general treatment like guys do after the game on Monday,” Linehan said. “He actually got treatment again on Tuesday. It was nothing serious enough to even be an injury, but when he started working out here yesterday it really tightened up on him. He tried to go again today and it was very uncomfortable, so we held him out.”

If Brown can’t go, Ron Bartell would take his place in the starting lineup.

Returner Dante Hall (ankle), defensive end James Hall (ankle) and center Brett Romberg (ankle) also did not practice and remain questionable for this week.

Romberg, in particular, looks doubtful.

“We did another MRI on it and it looks like it’s still healing and nothing he could re-injure, necessarily, I just think it’s very painful,” Linehan said. “It showed a bone bruise in there, so he’s probably more on the questionable side now.”

Andy McCollum (knee) was limited in practice, but took more than half the reps as the starting center. Nick Leckey did the rest of the work and a decision on the starting center will be made Friday.

Receivers Torry Holt (knee) and Drew Bennett (hamstring) were full go on Thursday as was defensive back Hanik Milligan (hand).

RAM BITS: Sunday’s game will officially be blacked out as about 3,000 tickets went unsold for the game against Atlanta . That means the game will not be televised locally and the only way for fans in the area to see the game will be to attend…If Hall cannot play, Brandon Williams will return to kickoff and punt return duties against the Falcons...Running back Brian Leonard will introduce his former Rutgers teammates in tonight's game televised on ESPN2.

Drew is offline Registered User

Re: Berlin Revved and Ready ...

[quote=MauiRam;200984]

Still, Linehan saw something he liked in their time together with the Dolphins .

quote]

Horumph....that "Something" that he sees in his former deck hands being the the key..

good luck mister Berlin....hope you dont crumble like your namesake..

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Besides for Kosar- has Miami ever produced any good NFL QBs?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Testeverde for one....

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Testeverde for one....

And that's it.

radjohns is offline Registered User

Jim Kelly says hi.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User