On Barron:
BernieM wrote:
He was the talk of the locker room.

Coaches and players alike were stunned by how he stepped in and dominated.

--B

BernieM wrote:
I have no problem with Martz easing him in the way he did -- 3rd week, AT HOME, after he was able to get three very productive weeks of practice in, which included some reps at RT.

Barron himself said after the game that it helped him to get his first playing time at home as opposed to the road because he didn't have to deal with crowd noise and it was easier to communicate with linemates who tried to assist him.

And Barron also said that the last couple of weeks, he really felt as if he started to get a handle on this offense.

Is there ever a decision made by Martz -- ever? -- that isn't second guessed or criticized?

--B

On Warner:
BernieM wrote:
Groin injury.
Possibly serious.

Of course this is ...

Martz's fault.
Bulger's fault.
STL media's fault.

I'M JUST KIDDING.... PLEASE NO CURSES ON ME OR MY CHILD.

--B

On Barron:
BernieM wrote:
Oh, so just because you're a first round pick -- you should be thrown in there immediately, whether you're ready or not?

I don't think so.

When did Pace start his first game? Sixth week? Seventh? Something like that. And that was Saint Dick Vermeil calling the shots on that one.

Here's what I know and have come to expect from many (not all) Rams fans:

Martz and this team could win a game 73-0, and you'd find things to rip.

Martz irritates the heck out of me with some of his goofy decisions -- but the way he eased Barron into this offense ain't one of them.

The kid played great.

Enjoy his success. Please. If that's possible.

--B

BernieM wrote:
I'm not aware of an NFL coach who gets second-guessed more than Martz. Near the end of the game today, Tennessee got the ball with 2:19 left and didn't have any timeouts.

If that had been Martz instead of Fisher, right now they'd be blowing gaskets on ESPN, and Rams fans would be marching en masse to Rams Park to turn over Martz's car. Of course, it's OK for other coaches to burn their timeouts. But if Martz does it ... well, just wait for the freak show to begin.

As for Barron. Kid will face a huge test next week in New Jersey. He'll have his rookie moments. But it's good that he's in there.

--B

BernieM wrote:
Sure I agree with the head coach -- on this one.

Any reasonable person would.

And the fact that Barron was able to acquit himself well, in his debut, AT HOME, after being given some time to catch up -- it shows that Martz knew what he was doing in this instance.

Do you know how many pass protections the Rams run compared to other teams? You think that maybe it would be a little more difficult for a rookie OT to master that after missing 21 training-camp practices and even more film sessions? Now, those who hate Martz and everything he stands for would argue that there should be fewer pass protections. There may be some merit to that -- but it's irrelavant, because the system is in place. And Barron had to be integrated into that system.

--B