Thread: The Bernie bits

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The Bernie bits

BernieM wrote:
    I don't care if Marshall Faulk talks to the media.
    I don't care if any athlete talks to the media.
    It does not impact my job in any way ... if anything it makes it easier.

In Marshall's case, he's sour because of the praise directed at Jackson and the comments being made that he's lost speed and is on the downside of his career. Which is true in both cases, though as I've said many times, he still can be effective in spots, and he was certainly that against Seattle. But here's the irony: he always tells the network people (the crew doing yesterday's game) that it's now his role to help Jackson and help the offense by doing what he can...and that he accepts a secondary role if that's the reality....but when a STL radio, TV or newspaper guy says the same thing -- Jackson was deserving of more playing time, and Marshall has lost some quicks, and that his knees haven't held up -- he gets offended. Pretty funny.

Even funnier is reading on here the posts like "good for Marshall" and "screw the media." Again, my paycheck doesn't change by one cent if Marshall Faulk declines to speak to me or anyone else. But when he declines to speak to us, he's declining to speak to the fans. So he's basically screwing the fans, because he's refusing to talk to you through the hated, evil, despised, scumbag media.

It's hysterical.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    A couple of comments if I may:

1. Yes, Martz has taken cheap shots at Warner.

2. I was sitting there yesterday when Martz made the comment ... and I didn't interpret it as a shot at Warner...Martz was giddy, happy, no malice in his heart. We pressed him to describe the Cleeland TD catch and he gave us a brief history and he recounted how he used it once before but Kurt didn't connect on it. I took it as a matter-of-fact recital of what had happened before, not a swipe at Warner.

I understand how some of you could view it as a poke at Warner -- given Martz's track record -- but to me it didn't come across that way when he mentioned Warner yesterday.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    Bbref....

yes, I do think that some in the locker room are thriving on the circle the wagons mentality....which is good for them....anything that works is fine by me.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    I need to vent...sorry...early wake-up call in Seattle, long flight, short time to write a column.

In advance let me say that NONE of this is directed at any posters here. And again....I'm just venting...need an outlet...thanks for putting up with it....and providing some therapy for me.

Just checked my e-mail.... question: is it possible for everyone to enjoy a playoff victory?

The e-mails were remarkably acidic for the day after a playoff win.

Some sample comments made to me:

* Why do you write about Bulger? He'll never be as good as Warner.
    * Nice column on Bulger, but I noticed how you chose Bulger as the topic because obviously you hate Martz and will not give him credit for anything.
    * It's a shame, Bernie, that you let your hatred of Martz interfere with your objectivity. You didn't write one positive word about Martz in your column.
    * I can't believe you didn't at least give Martz kudos for having his team ready to play hard.

There were many more like that.

Huh?

Did anyone read the Friday column, and the Saturday column, which was full of praise for Martz? How many times in the last week have I said that Martz did a great job of blocking out all the BS to get his team ready to play and win those final two games?

Burwell wanted to write a "big picture" type of column that would include Martz. I decided, then, to zero in on Bulger and his first playoff win -- and what a reversal of fortune it was from a year ago. Instead of having two columns that said the same thing -- which is bad form -- we split it up.

2 questions:

* what percentage of people who read columns are free basing crack cocaine? what other explanation can there be for such vacant mental capabilities?

* why can't folks just be pleased with a victory and, if this is what they want, positive Rams coverage in the newspaper?

I feel better now. Thanks. sorry for my whining.

(by the way....Monday's column, which has already been written, is about Martz).

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Uncle Buck,

You're right on the money.

I've discovered, increasingly, that it's a waste of time to hang around locker rooms.

Not much truth spoken there.

I wish sportswriters were more like theater and art and film critics; just watch the performance and critique it. That's how it used to be.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Martz vs. Mora again.

It's been a testy rivalry.

Lot of crowing from Mora whenever his team (whether it be the ***** defense or now Atlanta) prevails over Martz.

Martz owes him one.

Cheers,
    Bernie

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Bernie bits

I am getting tired of reading Bernie's stuff. Its really a waste of time. He's like a 14 year old girl gossiping about the "cool kids." All innuendo, no insight or information. Why does this guy have a job?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am tired of bernie also....

Making a mental note to not open his articles in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Way to go Bernie the dolt.

When the fans point out your last of understanding ........... way to round on them.

Man, this fool has lost the place and is well out of touch with the fans of the Rams.

Instead of writing this he should be singing the praises of the Rams just now but no, taking pot shots at Faulk, just how low will this fool go.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Every article Bernie writes just cements his status as an idiot more and more.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

txramsfan is offline Registered User

BernieM is the man. Seriously, way to stick it to the fickel fans in STL. Growing up around that town, most of the fans are some of the most knowledgeable fans on sports anywhere. However, the knowledgeable ones aren't the most vocal. It's the stupid ones that always want to be heard that seem to ruin it for everyone.

Bernie is right on the money. The STL fan has a big heart but the most vocal have pea brains.

Trust me on this one. The small vocal minority always need to ride the short bus.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    BernieM is the man. Seriously, way to stick it to the fickel fans in STL. Growing up around that town, most of the fans are some of the most knowledgeable fans on sports anywhere. However, the knowledgeable ones aren't the most vocal. It's the stupid ones that always want to be heard that seem to ruin it for everyone.

Bernie is right on the money. The STL fan has a big heart but the most vocal have pea brains.

Trust me on this one. The small vocal minority always need to ride the short bus.
    Tx, that's a good analysis of St. Louis sports fans. It's like the Michael Moore phenomenon...the biggest morons always have the biggest microphones.

Still can't always agree with Bernie, but good analysis Tx.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod