Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By VegasRam

Thread: Bernie Bits: Let's Wait And See On Ryan

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie Bits: Let's Wait And See On Ryan

Bernie Bits: Let's wait and see on Ryan

January 26, 2013 12:10 am

Rob Ryan would bring an interesting rťsumť to the post of Rams defensive coordinator. The son of Buddy and the twin brother of Rex, Rob comes with that Ryan football DNA. The Ryans are known for their feisty defenses and (ahem) exuberant personalities.

Iíve said this before, so please forgive me for being redundant. But Rams coach Jeff Fisher has established credibility as the de facto football leader of the franchise. Heís earned trust. If Fisher thinks Ryan is the right choice for an important job, then weíll defer to Fisher and see how it goes.

Thereís no reason to make a judgment on the Ryan recruitment at this point; the play of the Ramsí defense will determine that. And Ryan has run a 4-3 defense before, so that isnít an issue.

Hereís the thing that bothers me, and my concern is based on facts rather than bluster: Rob Ryanís defenses havenít played at a high level. Heís been an NFL defensive coordinator for nine seasons, at Oakland (2004-2008), Cleveland (2009-2010) and Dallas (2011-2012.)

Iíve already written about where the Rob Ryan defenses ranked in yards and points allowed. There were a couple of good years, such as 2006 in Oakland and 2010 in Cleveland. But his defenses ranked 20th or worse among the 32 teams in points allowed five times in nine years. Itís the same story in yards allowed, with five rankings of 20th or poorer.

OK, but what about the ability to disrupt an offense by sacking quarterbacks and forcing turnovers? The Ryan defenses havenít made much impact in getting to the quarterback and causing interceptions and fumbles. And with passing games going so crazy in the modern NFL, a defense must come up with lots of big plays.

Some numbers:

ē In sacks, Ryanís defenses have been in the top 15 twice in nine seasons. His defenses had a total of 299 sacks in nine years, or 33.2 a season. Over those nine years NFL teams averaged 35.5 sacks per 16 games. So the Ryan sack rate, while not terrible, is slightly below average. The Rams finished tied for first with 52 sacks in 2012; a Rob Ryan defense hasnít had more than 42.

ē In the turnover category, Ryanís defenses finished in the top 15 for most takeaways only once in nine seasons. His defenses forced 198 turnovers in nine years, an average of 22 per 16 games. NFL teams averaged just under 27 takeaways over the nine seasons. Only one Rob Ryan defense has exceeded that average; Cleveland had 28 takeaways in 2010.

So what are we to make of this?

First, Fisher learned NFL defense under Buddy Ryan and is all but an extended member of the Ryan family. I think relationships matter. This is a plus. One of Fisherís finest attributes is his ability to coach his assistants, and I believe he can make Rob Ryan a better coach.

Second, Fisher will run the defense that he wants to run. The Ramsí coordinator wonít have autonomy; the coaching of a Fisher defense has always been a collaborative effort. Fisher has core beliefs and philosophies. His assistants know that this is his defense. They work for him.

Third, Ryan is in an appealing position to benefit from an alliance with Fisher. Rob Ryan is respected in the league, even with the so-so showing of his defenses. The Rams have an attractive mix of talent on defense, with more talent on the way. Ryan should have a great opportunity to win over skeptics and critics.

With Fisherís heavy influence, this could work. Rob Ryan doesnít have to concoct miracles. He doesnít have a mess to clean up. He isnít working for a lightweight head coach. Ryan just needs to put his piece in by implementing ideas that can enhance the Ramsí defense. And he must connect with the players and keep them motivated.

The potential has always been there with Rob Ryan, but the performances havenít lived up to the potential. This could be the job that heís been waiting for.

In my view, this isnít so much about what Ryan can do for Fisher.

Itís more about what Fisher can do for Ryan.
    Rambos, live4ramin and MauiRam like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bits: Let's Wait And See On Ryan

It’s more about what Fisher can do for Ryan. yep

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bits: Let's Wait And See On Ryan

There’s no reason to make a judgment on the Ryan recruitment at this point
    Although I know I have preached patience many times, for some reason this article, and in particular this part, strike me as Bernie saying "Don't discuss anything Rob Ryan, move on and drop it." Um, it's the off-season, that's about all there is to do. Come on Bernie, what else do we have to do but judge whether we like the moves or not?

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP
    Sometimes, when I read his columns, I realize why dogs eat paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    RamDez likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP
    He compiles miles of statistics, says they don't mean anything, covers his *** 8 ways from Sunday, and still doesn't say anything.

He really doesn't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".