throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bernie: Bradford Takes A Big Step Back

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Bradford Takes A Big Step Back

The Rams have invested a 1st round draft pick in Bradford, paying him $60M and haven't got it in their head it might be a good idea to get a pass-protecting O-line; better yet the Rams Draft a pocket passing QB without giving him plenty of targets to throw to. Granted Bradford didn't eat a lot of dirt this time around--thats a win, but it would have been nice to have a secure pocket to throw from without having one of your own guys nearly winding up in Bradford's lap.

I credit this embarrashment on really poor game planning and the 49whinner hangover. As pointed out the Jets where not a top 10 defense against the run. Everyone can applaud the effort the Rams put in last week; had the Rams played with that much effort and heart against the Jets, the headlines would read Tebow elevated to starting QB--Rex on the hot seat. But at least I hope Sanchez had the good graces to send a dozen Roses to the Rams for sparing his career at least one more week
    r8rh8rmike and ManofGod like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are some more QBs who took a "big step back" this week:

Andrew Luck: 27-50, 334 yards, 2 TDs, 3 Ints (including 2 pick-6s), 63.3 passer rating
    Matthew Stafford: 17-39, 266 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints., 54.0 passer rating
    Matt Ryan: 28-46, 301 yards, 1 TD, 5 Ints., 40.5 passer rating

I guess the Colts', Lions' and Falcons' coaching staffs should be throwing those guys under the bus too, right Bernie?

Falcons were victorious so winning has a way of hiding the stench of Ryans' play yesterday
    Are the guys listed here considered ELITE?

Perhaps Ryan but these guys are not top 5 divsional QB's. But, yes, everyone has bad days INCLUDING ELITE QB's......

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Then by your own admission, to this point he's been an average QB?
    Considering Bradford is playing with one hand tied behind his back, IMO, average is pretty impressive.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -11-20-2012 at 12:17 AM.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Bradford

I just have to know. Am I the only who really isn't that excited about Bradford? I remember thinking in the 4th quarter against the Jets that if Sam Bradford got the ball that I really didn't see a comeback coming.

I don't know what it is, but it seems Bradford gets cold really fast. They come out all these games and play hard, but if the defense doesn't bail out the offenses mistakes, we get blown out.

I mean seriously, Mark freakin Sanchez straight up schooled Bradford. At this point, I don't see an excuse for Bradford. We may have a group of receivers that aren't that great, but the Jets have the WORST group of receivers int he league and they have a guy on their line that WE cut. So they have worst receivers, they have at best, an equally crappy offensive line and yet they put up 27 points in our home. The only difference offensively is the QB.

I'm not saying that Sanchez is better, I'm just saying that Bradford isn't what we expected. If you wanna defense Bradford then feel free to pick any other QB to compare him to.

RG3 vs Bradford
    Luck vs Bradford
    Newton vs Bradford
    Tannehill vs Bradford
    Dalton vs Bradford

Let's face it guys. We have an average QB and you are lying to yourself and you see something else. Here's a question, in 3 years how many 300+ yard passing games has Bradford had? i think 3? 8 days ago, luck threw for 400 yards. Um...is Bradford ever gonna throw for 400 yards? Can Bradford bring us back into a game down by 10?

I know he's not all the blame, but seriously, when your team has a chance to make a comeback and you really feel in your heart that Bradford just can't do it (and you get proven right almost all the time) I can't help but think we have made ourselves believe that Bradford is this future Tom Brady when in reality, he's looking like a future Trent Green....good, but we can do better.

But, I think we can rally around Sam Bradord... and we can....

I don't even believe that anymore.
    PARamfan likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    If you wanna defense Bradford then feel free to pick any other QB to compare him to.

RG3 vs Bradford
    Luck vs Bradford
    Newton vs Bradford
    Tannehill vs Bradford
    Dalton vs Bradford
    As an FYI, I merged your thread into this one, as you really didn't raise a new topic.

To answer your question, I would take Bradford over Newton, Tannehill or Dalton in a heartbeat and never look back. Luck and RGIII are tougher choices, but I would definitely rather have Bradford and the truckload of draft choices we received for passing on RGIII.

Let's face it guys. We have an average QB and you are lying to yourself and you see something else.
    Either that, or maybe your opinion isn't gospel.

Here's a question, in 3 years how many 300+ yard passing games has Bradford had? i think 3? 8 days ago, luck threw for 400 yards. Um...is Bradford ever gonna throw for 400 yards? Can Bradford bring us back into a game down by 10?
    Yes, Luck threw for 400 yards... big deal. He also has 80 more pass attempts this year and has been sacked 4 fewer times. Not to mention that he is throwing to one of the top WRs in the league.

A week ago, Bradford had a great game against one of the league's top defenses. The vultures flew away.

This week, Bradford had a bad game. The vultures have returned.
    rammiser and ManofGod like this.

Yeah, but you can't expect people to be behind Bradford if he only plays good 1 out of 4 games. He did put up some good numbers against the whiners, but we didn't win and Bradford was put in a position to lead us to victory. Just saying, Tannehill, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Ponder, or Newton would've led their team to victory. We got lead to a tie against an exetremely off track whiner team.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Yeah, but you can't expect people to be behind Bradford if he only plays good 1 out of 4 games. He did put up some good numbers against the whiners, but we didn't win and Bradford was put in a position to lead us to victory. Just saying, Tannehill, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Ponder, or Newton would've led their team to victory. We got lead to a tie against an exetremely off track whiner team.
    Against the whiners Sam led us down the field for the winning TD with what... a minute left in the game? The defense let a back-up QB walk down the field and get into FG range. He hits Danny for a huge play to get us to the goal line right out of the box in OT... refs call it back.

Is Sam perfect? No. Is he to blame for everything that goes wrong on this team?
    rammiser and ManofGod like this.

You guys are using one good game.

What about the the other 6 games we lost. I'll give u the whiners game, but Bradford did nothing special in overtime. I'll even give you the Lions game. But come on, stop kidding yourself. 99.7 percent of the league sees Bradford on the same that Alex Smith used to be on and where Mark Sanchez and Flacco are right now. Only Rams fans think Bradford is on a higher level than that.

You guys are using one good game.

What about the the other 6 games we lost. I'll give u the whiners game, but Bradford did nothing special in overtime. I'll even give you the Lions game. But come on, stop kidding yourself. 99.7 percent of the league sees Bradford on the same that Alex Smith used to be on and where Mark Sanchez and Flacco are right now. Only Rams fans think Bradford is on a higher level than that.
    You just named three QBs who have lead their teams to conference championship games.

As it is, I'd take Bradford over all three of those guys. If you wouldn't, that's your choice.

Let's be serious here. Sanchez may have been the QB when they went to the championship, but he wasn't even close to good. He had like 12 touchdowns and 22 picks. I do believe Bradford is better, but how good is he if those are the QB's he is compared to?

swatter555 is offline Registered User

"Thirty-six starts into his NFL career, and we still donít know what the Rams have in Sam Bradford."

I cant disagree with this statement.

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

I have a question...

Why are we giving up on our QB after 2.5 years but when the defense plays crap football no one comes out and talks about any of our major defensive starters and replacing them? Was the defense completely un-responsible for that game? Can we not point fingers to JL, Chris Long, Jenkins and Robert Quinn? Should we not be saying Jenkins is average? Whatever average even means.

I just get so tired of the way some Rams fans treat QBs. Even Kurt Warner was lambasted. It's like some Rams Fans are just looking for any chance what so ever to call for the drafting of another QB.

I'm not even defending Bradford (though I have no problem with him) I'm just curious as to why people give up so fast on our QBs. Lets pretend we draft Barkley or whoever the next "best qb since the invention of football" is and he doesn't blow the roof off the dome in his first year. Do we start turning on him?
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bradford

I just have to know. Am I the only who really isn't that excited about Bradford? I remember thinking in the 4th quarter against the Jets that if Sam Bradford got the ball that I really didn't see a comeback coming.

I don't know what it is, but it seems Bradford gets cold really fast. They come out all these games and play hard, but if the defense doesn't bail out the offenses mistakes, we get blown out.

I mean seriously, Mark freakin Sanchez straight up schooled Bradford. At this point, I don't see an excuse for Bradford. We may have a group of receivers that aren't that great, but the Jets have the WORST group of receivers int he league and they have a guy on their line that WE cut. So they have worst receivers, they have at best, an equally crappy offensive line and yet they put up 27 points in our home. The only difference offensively is the QB.

I'm not saying that Sanchez is better, I'm just saying that Bradford isn't what we expected. If you wanna defense Bradford then feel free to pick any other QB to compare him to.

RG3 vs Bradford
    Luck vs Bradford
    Newton vs Bradford
    Tannehill vs Bradford
    Dalton vs Bradford

Let's face it guys. We have an average QB and you are lying to yourself and you see something else. Here's a question, in 3 years how many 300+ yard passing games has Bradford had? i think 3? 8 days ago, luck threw for 400 yards. Um...is Bradford ever gonna throw for 400 yards? Can Bradford bring us back into a game down by 10?

I know he's not all the blame, but seriously, when your team has a chance to make a comeback and you really feel in your heart that Bradford just can't do it (and you get proven right almost all the time) I can't help but think we have made ourselves believe that Bradford is this future Tom Brady when in reality, he's looking like a future Trent Green....good, but we can do better.

But, I think we can rally around Sam Bradord... and we can....

I don't even believe that anymore.
    but if the defense doesn't bail out the offenses mistakes, we get blown out.
    Bradford got us the lead in the Lions game late and the defense gave up the late score right?
    Bradford got us the lead in the 9ers game late and the defense gave up the late score right?

Bradford scored on the first drive in London and the defense then did nothing all game and we got blown out.

I mean seriously, Mark freakin Sanchez straight up schooled Bradford.
    As Johnny Mac would say, you can't be serious?

Mark freakin Sanchez straight up schooled Bradford. How many time did Sanchez throw the ball in that game I forgot you tell me?

8 days ago, luck threw for 400 yards. Um...is Bradford ever gonna throw for 400 yards? Can Bradford bring us back into a game down by 10?
    Three days ago Luck had four turnovers and two pick six. What do you say in his defense for that game?

I can't help but think we have made ourselves believe that Bradford is this future Tom Brady when in reality, he's looking like a future Trent Green
    Not sure what he will be it's still too early. One thing is for sure the less talent around him the results will be him looking more like an average QB then an elite QB.

Yeah, but you can't expect people to be behind Bradford if he only plays good 1 out of 4 games. He did put up some good numbers against the whiners, but we didn't win and Bradford was put in a position to lead us to victory.
    Wow... he gave us the lead with 1:09 on the clock, he does not play defense. Answer this question for me. How can Matty Ice throw 3 INTs in the first quarter and has a total of 5 INTs for the game and they win? How is that possible?
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Things that are relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His offensive line
    2. His receivers
    3. Offensive system/playcalling
    4. His statistics

Things that are not relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His salary
    2. The performance of other QBs
    3. Anything Bernie Miklasz has to say on the subject
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's just silly to refer to Bradford's performance as a "step back" until there are other consecutive performances of similar caliber to indicate this represents a real concern in his progression as a pro. But that's simply not the case.

Had this article been phrased as simply a discussion about some of the things that Sam did poorly and how, as the leader and most talented member of the offense, he needs to improve upon those issues, then I don't think I'd have much of an issue with the write up. But being dramatic by trying to frame the discussion about the direction of Sam's career seems over the top.

The way I look at it is this - with a questionable at best supporting cast and a losing season so far, Sam is still currently boasting career bests in completion percentage, touchdown percentage, yards per attempt, yards per game, and QB rating. Some of his best moments are coming in the clutch and against tough teams. After an awful 2011 campaign marred by injuries, schematic issues, and poor play, I think it's pretty clear he's rebounded and I would anticipate his play and consistency will get better as the talent around him does.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast