Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bernie: Bradford Takes A Big Step Back

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Bradford Takes A Big Step Back

The funny thing is that he's the SAME guy he was at OU. He's always been a guy that held the ball too long in an effort to give his guys a little more time, he's always been reluctant to "throw the ball away". He's always been known for his accuracy. The only difference is that at OU he had superior talent around him, all world talent. He had NFL caliber WR's, a TE who his still productive at the NFL level, as well as a mammoth O-line. Bradford has always been a guy surrounded by talent, this made playing QB at the college level much easier, which was why I did not understand how/why so many scouts gushed over him when he often struggled against talented defenses who pressured him. I am not bashing him by any means as he is a talented passer. As it is often said "this guy has ALL the tools" you want in a QB, although his pocket awareness can improve (but that may be due to the "Carr syndrome"). One thing we do know is that if you give this man talent, he can get the ball to that talent ex. Troy Aikman early in his career. Hopefully like his idol, Bradford can turn the corner once the team surrounds him with the same "toys" he had at OU (if his brains aren't beat in first).

As I continue to remind so many individuals: "Rome wasn't built in a day".
    bradwill likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

As long as moving on from Bradford is a cap hit he will be the Rams QB. I think that's how long he has to prove himself.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    As long as moving on from Bradford is a cap hit he will be the Rams QB. I think that's how long he has to prove himself.
    But that's the thing... he does not have to prove himself TO YOU. He only has to prove himself to the team.

I think he has alredady done that and, even if he didn't have a big cap number, he'd be the Rams' QB for the foreseeable future.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford is a MUCH better QB than he was last year.! All things considered, his development this year has been very good in my opinion. Yes, he is still a work in progress, but credit where credit is due. The kid has made some cracking throws this season. Alright, he still has his flaws in the pocket, and silly penchant for the checkdown at times. But let's not lose sight of where he has markedly improved. The ball isn't getting batted down at the LOS this season. His long ball accuracy is much improved this year. The kid throws the ball with authority these days, which is a far cry from last year. His leadership skills have improved big time. Not to shabby when considering it's been less than a years time.!!
    Give the guy a break, because its the rest of the team which lacks the real talent.!
    Rambos and live4ramin like this.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Bernie does love to stir the pot fair play..he plays the more paranoid of Rams fans like a flute.
    if we were 10-0 he would be beating the Stan hasn`t said we are not moving this week so we must be,drum.

Sam had a stinker,so did quite a few others. so what? means nothing more to me than we he had a stinker. Quinn was kept quiet by Ferguson this week,Brockers was quiet,Laurinaitis didn`t make many plays. guess they have regressed too.
    alot of people take too much off the back of one bad game. with such a young team,an up and down season is normal. this is the elite league every team is capable of beating anyone else when they have an off-day,sometimes when they play good too.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Things that are relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His offensive line
    2. His receivers
    3. Offensive system/playcalling
    4. His statistics

Things that are not relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His salary
    2. The performance of other QBs
    3. Anything Bernie Miklasz has to say on the subject
    I suspect Mr. Kroenke disagrees with your assertion that his salary is irrelevant.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Things that are not relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His salary
    While I would agree on points #2 and especially #3, I disagree with #1. The NFL has a hard salary cap and ROI in terms of contract vs. performance is probably one of the biggest guiding forces of NFL GM's(and owners).

bradwill is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree with you more on every point. Very well said and my thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    The funny thing is that he's the SAME guy he was at OU. He's always been a guy that held the ball too long in an effort to give his guys a little more time, he's always been reluctant to "throw the ball away". He's always been known for his accuracy. The only difference is that at OU he had superior talent around him, all world talent. He had NFL caliber WR's, a TE who his still productive at the NFL level, as well as a mammoth O-line. Bradford has always been a guy surrounded by talent, this made playing QB at the college level much easier, which was why I did not understand how/why so many scouts gushed over him when he often struggled against talented defenses who pressured him. I am not bashing him by any means as he is a talented passer. As it is often said "this guy has ALL the tools" you want in a QB, although his pocket awareness can improve (but that may be due to the "Carr syndrome"). One thing we do know is that if you give this man talent, he can get the ball to that talent ex. Troy Aikman early in his career. Hopefully like his idol, Bradford can turn the corner once the team surrounds him with the same "toys" he had at OU (if his brains aren't beat in first).

As I continue to remind so many individuals: "Rome wasn't built in a day".
    ManofGod likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Things that are relevant in evaluating what type of QB Sam Bradford is, and can become:

1. His offensive line
    2. His receivers
    3. Offensive system/playcalling
    4. His statistics

1. His salary
    Yet you made a thread named How Sam Bradford Compares To Other No. 1 Overall QBs

Anyways, to be honest, Bernie does bring up some good points in this article. Stating that he is giving a knee-jerk reaction is ironic since most people have a knee jerk reaction every time they see an article written by Bernie.

I was disappointed in Bradford's obvious struggling performance against the Jets. He is performing like an average QB more often than not (if you go by AV's standards). Whether he is performing like an average QB or actually BEING an average QB is still unclear at this point...but what is clear is that the multitude of excuses given for Bradford is going to run dry sooner or later.

Now obviously I believe in Bradford or else I wouldn't have shelled out money to buy his jersey, but I am unbiased in my analysis of him and so far he is playing at a level that he should be above.

I guess I can expect to be flamed and be called an idiot who doesn't know crud about football by the Stevie Wonders of this forum.

Last edited by RockinRam; -11-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    live4ramin, macrammer and PARamfan like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

About the Oline issue....what other teams had younger Qb's that still played well or still made the team around him better to win games?

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I'm not saying that I'm not behind Bradford and I really do hope he becomes something special. But he seriously is just simply average. Nothing special about him, no outrageous traits. He's ok.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

You guys saw what he just did two weeks ago against the niners. Holy crap ... some of you guys on this board are ridiculous with your expectations. With what he has had for an OLine and WR Corp plus a half injured Amendola, he looks fine. I think even if he has a solid oLine and this wr group you would see Bradford at a different level. But he hasn't even had that.
    live4ramin likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Look at his receivers:

Amendola is the number one, when healthy. Before he got hurt he was second in the NFL in yards. Not sure that's because he's that good or Bradford is making him that good,

Gibson is our second best receiver, he's a mixed bag for sure. Makes the hard catch but drops the easy ones. More of a possession receiver I think than a game changer. On the Packers or Pat's he's 4th or 5th on the depth charts, here he is our number two.

Givens, rookie that can take the top off for sure, but has a ways to go to become an all around receiver. He's our number three. Not sure he would start on most teams as a rookie.

Pettis second year possession receiver missed time this year. He has not shown a lot makes a few plays underneath. Would be lucky to get any playing time on a good team, much like Salas on the Pats.

Quick rookie that has struggled to learn the playbook. Has made a handful of plays a work in-progress.

Smith vet FA pick up benched in favor of getting the rookies reps.

IMO Bradford may be average today but his receivers today are not average.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-21-2012 at 10:59 AM.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    You guys saw what he just did two weeks ago against the niners. Holy crap ... some of you guys on this board are ridiculous with your expectations. With what he has had for an OLine and WR Corp plus a half injured Amendola, he looks fine. I think even if he has a solid oLine and this wr group you would see Bradford at a different level. But he hasn't even had that.

I am so excited to finally see that so we can see exactly what kind of team we have with Sam at the helm....Hopefully it happens while he is in his prime.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I am so excited to finally see that so we can see exactly what kind of team we have with Sam at the helm....Hopefully it happens while he is in his prime.
    Remember... Sam is only 25 yeards old.

Kurt Warner was 28 when he started his first game for the Rams.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast