Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Disgusting Day In Dallas

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie Bytes: Disgusting Day In Dallas

Bernie Bytes: Disgusting day in Dallas

3 hours ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ

ARLINGTON, Texas • The Rams were stunningly uncompetitive in Sunday's no-show 31-7 loss at Dallas. I know it looked bad for those of you watching the game at home on TV.

Well, you should have seen what the Rams' horror show looked like on the Cowboys' continent-sized jumbo, jumbo, jumbo, jumbo tron at AT&T Stadium. The hideous football was magnified by a thousand times. Cowboys pass-rushing monster DeMarcus Ware did look like Godzilla on the big big big big screen; I thought he was going to eat everyone in the place after he got done with Sam Bradford.

"I didn't see this one coming," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "I can't explain it."

I thought the Rams had a chance to win this game, but I didn't think we'd see such a sorry, no-account performance by virtually everyone involved. If the Rams lost this one, I expected a competitive, hard-fought game.

Ahem....

In opening a 24-0 lead in the third quarter the Cowboys had a 310 to 43 edge in yards and a 16-1 differential in first downs.

At one point in the first half the Cowboys had 80 yards to the Rams' 2.

The Rams finished with 18 yards in the first half.

EIGHTEEN.

The Rams were Florida A&M to the Cowboys' Ohio State.

This was an all-inclusive failure: head coach Fisher, coordinators Brian Schottenheimer and Tim Walton, special teams coach John Fassel and of course the players.

The Cowboys stomped the Rams offensive line. I didn't buy into all of the talk about how it was some spectacular achievement to go through the first two weeks without allowing a sack. Because the line was still allowing pressure too often. But I didn't think the up-front battle would be so lopsided.

Schottenheimer orders up a lot of passes, but too many are dinky, harmless little lobs that put no stress on the defense.

A defense made tight end Jared Cook all but vanish from plain sight for the second consecutive week. Schottenheimer (a) found no ways to get Cook free; and (b) had nothing in the playbook to exploit the attention being paid to Cook. Double fail.

From what I can tell the Rams' most creative play on offense is the safe, bland, inconsequential check-it-down special.

The Rams don't stretch the field.

You can't do that if you can't stretch the OC's imagination.

Then again, it's pretty easy for the Dallas defense to tee off and go all Bob Lilly and Randy White when they don't have to worry about the Rams busting loose with the running game. It was essentially non-existent for the third consecutive week.

And it's difficult for Bradford to make connections downfield when Dallas pass rushers are throwing the QB's bodyguards to the ground and attacking him untouched. Bradford took a beating Sunday, giving the anti-Bradford loons something to smile about if nothing else. Bradford quickly defaulted to the Checkdown Sam mode.

Schottenheimer has displayed no acumen in finding ways to get the speedy Tavon Austin out in space, where he can make plays. Schottenheimer keeps calling the same play for Austin, a predictable teeny pass in the flat. Opposing defensive coaches look at the tape, so they know it's coming ... which is why it seems like 62 tacklers are waiting to bury Austin every time. And yet the Rams keep going back to this worthless play, inexplicably believing that they're onto something magical here.

And of course, the coaches didn't go to a no-huddle offense until a few minutes into the fourth quarter, long after this game had deteriorated into a rout. By then, the Cowboy-boot stomping was already over.

I don't understand this. The no-huddle has enlivened the Rams offense, and this group was sleepy on Sunday ... so why not amp it up, go at a faster tempo to generate some energy and give yourself a chance to slow the Cowboys' manic pass rushers down? It makes no sense.

On the other side...

The front seven of the Rams defense was bullied and cleared out with little resistance, with the physical Cowboys opening wide holes that made RB DeMarco Murray look like Tony Dorsett.

And I have no idea what Walton is doing with the Rams defense, but I can tell you this: if the plan is to leave receivers completely unattended and free to roam, the strategy is working beautifully.

The Rams' special teams were a joke again; the stupid penalties continue and no one is doing a damned thing about it.

Here's the thing that bothers me the most ...

Well, two things:

1. There's never an excuse for being flat ... but how does the league's youngest team come into the third week with a 1-1 record and utterly fail to compete? This wasn't Dec. 22 — near the end of a brutally bad season. This was Sept. 22, and this team had a chance to go 2-1, and build momentum heading into Thursday's home game against the *****. Moreover, the Rams were playing at AT&T Stadium, the monument to excess that appeals to players' vanity and desire to play on the largest and most glamorous venue in American professional sports. The NFL's celebrity culture was developed in Dallas; this is the biggest regular-season stage you could ask for ... and the Rams don't even post up?

2. I thought this kind of junk was a thing of the past. I picked the Rams to go 7-9 this season, so obviously I believed they'd have some bad days. But this wasn't just a bad day. This wasn't just bad football. This was the kind of awful, joy-draining, spirit-sinking, unacceptable stinking heap of a mess that was common when Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo coached this franchise.

The Rams sure stepped in it Sunday.

And they took a big step back, too.

Thanks for reading...

— Bernie

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie Bytes: Disgusting Day In Dallas

"I didn't see this one coming," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "I can't explain it."
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with a Head Coach saying "I can't explain it". How do you fix something you can't explain? And what message does it send to the players? There are still 13 games to play, so I hope Fisher figures it out, and promotes a positive attitude moving forward. Nothing can be done about what happened today, but every game for the rest of the season is a chance to improve.

"The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."

- George S. Patton
    Randart likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with a Head Coach saying "I can't explain it".
    It's not just you. Fisher doesn't seem to have a good handle on this team. The defense has been vanilla and awful since preseason yet he seems to be unwilling to change things up. The offense looks best in the quick tempo mode and yet he states that is not the best approach. We were told about all the plans and plays they had for Cook and Austin and yet we've seen very little in the way of innovation.

He and his staff were definitely out coached today. We could easily be 0-3 and at the same time, with some coach instilled discipline, we could be 2-1. Very frustrating to say the least.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It is both alarming and surprising that Fisher has not had this team prepared to play when it enters the game. Down by 10, 21 and 24 poins in successive weeks, and it's inexcusable. Was last season's progress a mirage or are we overreacting? There are reasons for legitimate concern, in my opinion. Some growing pains are expected with some of our new additions, but I thought we were beyond the "we're young" and "we have a tough schedule" blather that has been all too frequent in these parts.

One thing is certain: unless I'm blind, they're underachieving, or they simply havent gotten on track, our running backs absolutely stink. And if you think success is achievable by having Bradford throw 55 times a game with no one able to run the football and keep the defense honest, you're living in dreamland.

Answers are needed now or it will be yet another long year.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-23-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Varg6 likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I'm curious if the schemes implemented on both sides of the ball aren't complementing our players? Last year's D was excellent and ran by a committee (at least how I understood it), now, with virtually the same players, we've given up at least three touchdowns a game. Likewise on offense, the only time I've ever felt like we had something positive happen offensively (in recent memory) was last week against, presumably, a playoff caliber team, and that was only after they were up by multiple touchdowns. Was it soft coverage? Or was the offense ran effective with those players and should be utilized more? It's hard to say with the Falcons who are genuine choke artists...

I'm from NJ by the way and I've had to suffer through many Jets games where I couldn't imagine having BS as our coach. Sure enough here he is, and here I am, a year later trying to be more optimistic about him, but alas, I didn't like him then and I don't like him now. I want to like him but I've never been a fan of how he game plans. If games continue to look like how they have, especially against the Jags, I know that I'll have less and less patience for him. Ultimately, it's on Fisher, who I've always respected...man something's gotta give. I have advice for him: beat the Niners and your fans won't go in panic mode. Please understand we have suffered many years and are quite sensitive. Deja vu circa Spags era is literally a damn nightmare. That's what that game was for me. Eek.
    live4ramin and rNemesis like this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    ...One thing is certain: unless I'm blind, they're underachieving, or they simply havent gotten on track, our running backs absolutely stink. And if you think success is achievable by having Bradford throw 55 times a game with no one able to run the football and keep the defense honest, you're living in dreamland...
    I agree that our running game stinks. I think this has more to do with the O-line than it has to do with the RBs. This O-line hasn't shown tthat they can run block OR pass block. That being said, if all we're going to throw are passes in the flat, or crossing routes of less than 10 yds, we'll never be able to run. Everybody is right near the line of scrimmage. We may have to take some hits, but we have to start trying to stretch the field on a more consistant basis.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

heff is offline Registered User

Marty Schottenheimer is a complete fraud of a coach, so it doesn't surprise me that his son is, too.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    It's not just you. Fisher doesn't seem to have a good handle on this team. The defense has been vanilla and awful since preseason yet he seems to be unwilling to change things up. The offense looks best in the quick tempo mode and yet he states that is not the best approach. We were told about all the plans and plays they had for Cook and Austin and yet we've seen very little in the way of innovation.

He and his staff were definitely out coached today
    . We could easily be 0-3 and at the same time, with some coach instilled discipline, we could be 2-1. Very frustrating to say the least.
    1. Yes-- this is either on Schottenheimer or are the players on the team are too mentally challenged to grasp his offense?

2. To be outcoached by Jason Garrett to boot-- thats not encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I agree that our running game stinks. I think this has more to do with the O-line than it has to do with the RBs. This O-line hasn't shown tthat they can run block OR pass block. That being said, if all we're going to throw are passes in the flat, or crossing routes of less than 10 yds, we'll never be able to run. Everybody is right near the line of scrimmage. We may have to take some hits, but we have to start trying to stretch the field on a more consistant basis.
    Fair points, Truth, although I don't think the line was horrendous in games 1 and 2. And I'm in complete agreement with you and everyone else who thinks we need to stretch out defenses. I mean, gee- why bother drafting these speedsters if we're going to throw checkdowns and play vanilla offense?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

these receivers of ours need to stop dropping the gat dam ball

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Maybe the Rams' team doctor should call Dallas' team doctor and try and obtain the formula for the shot administered to Tony Romo immediately before the game. Then our Doc could shoot up Sam and hopefully our entire offensive line. If there's a little left after that, maybe Schotty merits a poke as well.

Additionally, there's a rumor floating around that Jerry Jones authorized befuddling gas to be clandestinely piped in to the visitors' locker room through the central AC several hours prior to the Rams arrival.
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by heff View Post
    Marty Schottenheimer is a complete fraud of a coach, so it doesn't surprise me that his son is, too.

I'll have to disagree with you on Senior---- hes won everywhere he's been. Perhaps not the Superbowl, but his teams were perennial contestants in the playoffs.

I do, however, agree that Junior wasnt a great choice for OC IMO.

Don't really agree with the hate on Schottenheimer. The guy did a decent job last year with limited talent on the roster and nobody really seemed to be very critical towards him. Now all of a sudden the guy stinks. He didn't get stupid overnight.

I WILL say he needs to open things up a bit and take advantage of some of the pieces acquired/drafted for this year's offense. He can be criticized fairly for that, but to classify the guy as a fraud or a loser is simply not true.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Where is the play calling we say during the 3rd preseason game against the Broncos. This lackluster shotgun outs n crossing routes do not get it done.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    A defense made tight end Jared Cook all but vanish from plain sight for the second consecutive week. Schottenheimer (a) found no ways to get Cook free; and (b) had nothing in the playbook to exploit the attention being paid to Cook. Double fail. From what I can tell the Rams' most creative play on offense is the safe, bland, inconsequential check-it-down special. The Rams don't stretch the field. You can't do that if you can't stretch the OC's imagination.

— Bernie
    Spot on. If the offense would start moving the ball and scoring points the defense will do its job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast