Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Ex-Patriot fires back at Faulk

RamBill is offline Registered User

Bernie Bytes: Ex-Patriot fires back at Faulk

• BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

Bernie Bytes: Ex-Patriot fires back at Faulk : Stltoday

Greetings from New Orleans:

• Retired New England offensive tackle Matt Light has responded to Marshall Faulk’s opinion that the Rams were “cheated” in their 20-17 loss to New England in Super Bowl 36.

As he made the rounds on Radio Row at Super Bowl 47, Light mostly took a diplomatic approach in responding to Faulk’s claims. But on my 101.1 ESPN radio show, he said Faulk's remarks show "a lot of disrespect."

"We lost two games horribly," Light said. referring to the Patriots' Super Bowl losses to the New York Giants. "And I wouldn’t look at those games and say anything other than we missed our opportunity. We didn’t get it done. And it didn’t have anything to do with anyone else.

"Honestly to hear a comment like (Faulk's), it’s disappointing to me, that a guy like Marshall — who has had such an incredible career and what he’s done post-football and all of the things that he stands for — would continue to go back to something like this. It shows a lot of disrespect from a guy that I’ve had a lot of respect for. And an organization that has dome as much to promote this game, and this league, as anybody else. From that standpoint, it’s disappointing.

“I understand what it’s like to lose a Super Bowl, and how you can have some ideas in your mind and other people can say things and you can get caught up in those. But ultimately when you look at it there’s no mistaking the dedication, the time, and all the effort that’s put into it by Bill (Belichick) and his staff and organization — what we did, we’re very proud of.”

• My favorite Super Bowl player for media interviews is ***** wide receiver Randy Moss. He continues to get everyone stirred up by saying he’s the best receiver to play in the NFL. The Moss bragging has irritated Jerry Rice, who is widely regarded as the best WR in NFL history. But the more that agitated reporters press Moss, the more he digs in. It’s hysterical.

Moss conceded that he doesn’t have Rice’s career numbers, and that other esteemed wideouts have put up better stats. But he doesn’t care.

“I do believe in my heart and my mind I am the greatest to ever do it,” Moss said again Wednesday.

“Everybody is going to have their opinion,” Moss said. “I do not live on numbers. I really do not. If you sit here and just said, ‘Who is the greatest running back?’ Statistically it’s Emmitt Smith. But if you ask a lot of people if Emmitt was the best, they would say Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers or Jim Brown. Their numbers do not match Emmitt Smith, but that doesn’t mean he was better.”

Moss challenged the doubters.

“You make your own judgment,” he said. “I know what I think. I am not going to sit up here and tell you how to look at it and how to judge it. I think when it comes to going out there, making plays and helping the team do the things that they are able to do to win the game, I think I am the greatest receiver ever. Point blank. Next question.”

• OK, here’s what I think of Moss and his claims: Moss may have been the most talented, naturally gifted receiver to play in the NFL. He had freakish ability. At 6-5, Moss used his length to outmaneuver smaller defenders. He had tremendous leaping ability, and top-end speed. There is nothing he couldn’t do athletically.

Well, there’s one thing he couldn’t do: consistently give an effort. Moss loafed on too many plays. Took too many plays off. If he wasn’t getting the ball, he’d check out mentally, emotionally, and would cruise through the motions. Moss wasn’t keen on going across the middle and exposing himself to hits. But if you’re looking for an electric presence on deep routes, someone that was a threat to rip the top off of a defense by streaking downfield to haul in long passes — no one did that any better than Moss.

Moss had the most talent, but he wasn’t the best receiver, because he didn’t want to take full advantage of that talent. He wasted plays, wasted opportunities, and didn’t do the maximum to help his team win.

And Moss is still looking for his first Super Bowl championship. Moss could have won a Super Bowl ring with the 2007 Patriots but only has himself to blame. He could have made a tough but doable catch by laying out on a late Tom Brady deep pass, but Moss didn’t exert the effort and the pass went off his fingers for an incompletion. If Moss competed at 100 percent on the play, New England probably comes back to beat the NY Giants.

The point was emphasized by Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin. Speaking on Dan Patrick’s national radio show, Irvin jumped into the debate and ridiculed Moss.

“Randy knows,” Irvin said. “There's no possible way we can make you top dog. You have not a ring upon your finger. The receptions you have caught — and you have caught many — have went for nada. Jerry Rice's receptions have gone for the end game, which is Super Bowls. (Rice) has more (numbers) in every category than anybody that ever lived, plus he has the Super Bowl rings.”

• Rice is No. 1. Rice was exceptionally skilled, but he was also tough, and relentless, and never betrayed his God-given ability or his obligation to his team.

• It’s official, so to speak: St. Louisan Joe Larrew has been named to the crew that will work Sunday’s Super Bowl. This is the first Super Bowl for Larrew, who is completing his 11th season as a side judge. Joe is one of the best and deserves this honor.

• The officiating announcement has, however, generated controversy. The NFL is being questioned on the selection of head official Jerome Boger, a nine-year veteran. He’ll be the the referee Sunday.

The appointment was met with some ugly accusations by former NFL official Jim Daopoulos. In an interview with the New York Times, Daopoulous alleged that the league altered officiating grades to elevate Boger into the Super Bowl. Postseason assignments are based on merit, and Daopoulous doesn’t believe Boger earned the gig in Super Bowl 47.

“I'm looking at the seven guys who are working in the Super Bowl, and to be quite honest, several of them should not be on the field,” Daopoulos told the NY Times.

Boger has worked four postseason games in his career. He was a line judge until being promoted to referee in 2006. He’ll become the second African American referee to lead a Super Bowl crew; Mike Carey was the first.

Some pushback is coming from Ray Anderson, the NFL executive vice president of football operations. According to media reports Anderson called the grade-doctoring allegations “patently false and insulting to Jerome Boger.”

• My personal opinion on Boger: I don’t think he’s the best ref in the league, but no one has to apologize for having him work the Super Bowl. Boger is fine. I believe he’s improved over the last few seasons as he’s gained experience. I know he works hard, and is an honest and fair-minded man. I watch Boger a lot because Larrew is on his regular-season crew, and I always try to watch Larrew’s games. Boger has gotten better.

• I also know there have been much worse refs to work the Super Bowl, and after watching clown shows turned in by previous Super Bowl officiating crews, I think it’s preposterous to isolate Boger and hurl garbage at him. I don’t believe, for a moment, that the NFL always puts the best ref in the Super Bowl, and so the attacks on Boger are bogus.

I don’t recall any sniping in past years when the NFL assigned so-so refs to do the Super Bowl. Gee, race wouldn’t have anything to do with this, would it?

• The Grumpy Award goes to Baltimore offensive tackle Michael Oher. He became famous through the book “The Blind Side” and the popular movie that followed.

Asked about what it was like to have his life story turned into a successful film, Oher said, “I’m tired of the movie. I’m here to play football.”

But the Blind Side questions kept coming.

“I'm not in the movies, man. I play football,” an exasperated Oher said. "I work hard on the field. That's why I don't like talking about the movie because it kind of takes away from my hard work on the field. I kind of feel a little bit under-appreciated, but as long as my team and the guys in the locker room know what I bring to the table, it's all good.'”

Oher wasn’t happy over his portrayal in the film.

“Football is what got me here and the movie — it wasn’t me,” he said. “I always knew how to play football growing up. Playing football is what got me to this point.”

Oher did say that the Tuohy family (of Memphis) that adopted him as a teenager will be at Sunday’s game. “They’re still my family,” he said.

As for his life story and the lesson that it offers for kids, Oher’s personality warmed as he said, “Get your grades, put academics first. Work hard enough and everything else will take care of itself. Hard work does pay off. If you’re not working hard, you’re not going to get too far. That’s in everything that you do.”

Thanks for reading …

— Bernie

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie Bytes: Ex-Patriot fires back at Faulk

“I understand what it’s like to lose a Super Bowl, and how you can have some ideas in your mind and other people can say things and you can get caught up in those. But ultimately when you look at it there’s no mistaking the dedication, the time, and all the effort that’s put into it by Bill (Belichick) and his staff and organization — what we did, we’re very proud of.”
    Interesting that Light didn't have much to say about the time and dedication Belicheat spent setting up and executing his covert taping operation.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I love Moss implicitly disrespecting Whiner royalty, Rice, with this guff in SB week while wearing the same colors. Good omen for the Ravens ?

Yeah, Mike, nobody seems to want to address the actual issue of the tapes & how they were suppressed. Same is true in the Jaws/Schlereth video. No real way to counter their footballistic explanations of what happened in that SB- which have quite a bit of substance to them in their own right,imo- without that lost information. It was a tight game and without that lost info, there's no way to get a fix on how the taping actually weighs in the equation of all the other things. If it helped on just a couple of key plays, that might have been the difference is what Faulk is arguing & the Rams & fans in general deserved to make that judgment with all the evidence.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I understand what it’s like to lose a Super Bowl
    Yes...but you have no idea what it's like to get cheated out of one.

I love Moss implicitly disrespecting Whiner royalty, Rice
    I find it entertaining myself. Also, while I admit Rice was talented, there are many great receivers who have not had Joe Montana or Steve Young throwing them the ball for 3 quarters of their career.

Example...Isaac Bruce...who did not enjoy the same elite level of QB play throughout his career as Rice, yet still put up incredible numbers. What kind of numbers would he have put up if Warner had played for 10 years (instead of 2 and a half) at the same level as he did in 1999? Just sayin.
    ramsbruce and Haste like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Matt Lights a frickin LOSER! He says " We lost two games horribly," Light said. referring to the Patriots' Super Bowl losses to the New York Giants. "And I wouldn’t look at those games and say anything other than we missed our opportunity. We didn’t get it done. And it didn’t have anything to do with anyone else."

Yeah bud you lost those 2 because you stopped frickin cheating!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone remind me, how many Superbowls have the Cheatriots won since they were caught with SpyGate? NONE. Scumbags of the earth.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Meh, if Faulk wants to get mad at losing the Super Bowl, he best shoulders the blame on Mike Martz. He was the main root to our loss that day, if Vermeil was coaching that team, he would've adjusted by giving Faulk more carries (a balanced offense helps move the chains to the endzone A LOT) Even though the refs gave the Patriots the upper edge, we were lightyears superior to that team that not even rigged officiating would've stopped them from beating the Pats. It's too bad Mike Martz was a ****ing moron to realize Faulk's existence and impact in the run game so if Faulk truly wants to blame somebody for our loss, BLAME MARTZ.
    PARamfan and bradwill like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Screw you patriots!!

Don't give us that disrespectful crap. Belichick not only cheated the Rams he also cheated the fans, and he cheated the integrity of the game.

You flippin patriot creeps are the dissappointment. Video taping asside, belichick deliberately instructed his players to play outside of the rules because he knew they'd get away with it. What the hell do you think that is Matt Light?!? For God's Sake Man wake the flip up!! That is cheating the fans and cheating the game. That is a disservice to the game and the league. And it is nothing worthy of respect.

P.S.
    I love what DV did for our Rams as much as anyone. But I want to remind Rams fans of one thing. Mike Martz called every play on the offensive side of the game since he arrived. That would include the victory in SB34. Yet the patriot spin machine will have you believe that Mike Martz suddenly became an idiot in SB36.

ramsbruce and ZiaRam like this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Meh, if Faulk wants to get mad at losing the Super Bowl, he best shoulders the blame on Mike Martz. He was the main root to our loss that day, if Vermeil was coaching that team, he would've adjusted by giving Faulk more carries (a balanced offense helps move the chains to the endzone A LOT) Even though the refs gave the Patriots the upper edge, we were lightyears superior to that team that not even rigged officiating would've stopped them from beating the Pats. It's too bad Mike Martz was a ****ing moron to realize Faulk's existence and impact in the run game so if Faulk truly wants to blame somebody for our loss, BLAME MARTZ.
    your opinion is full of it. still point of this thread is that patsys cheated. don't minimize what they did by blaming and insulting a coaching staff and players that quite frankly still getting paid while you here ranting nonsense.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    your opinion is full of it. still point of this thread is that patsys cheated. don't minimize what they did by blaming and insulting a coaching staff and players that quite frankly still getting paid while you here ranting nonsense.
    Me ranting nonsense? Faulk had 17 carries throughout that entire game and Martz still called for pass plays despite the Pats putting DBs into backoff coverage? We may have outgained them 457-278 yards, but we NEVER made it to the endzone. Isn't it common sense to feed the ball to your RB to get the six? I stand for blaming Martz since he was responsible for Kurt Warner's failures with us after that Super Bowl.

I don't hate Martz, I'm glad he's made success for us and wish him the best with his future works but it's apparent that he needs someone to keep his playcalling in check if he's gonna run an offense. He could learn a thing or two from Norv Turner and the emphasis on the run game in a vertical offense. If you've seen that Bears offense with his playcalling, you'll see how badly Cutler was banged up and why Lovie Smith released him. Seeing his resumé with Warner, Bulger, and Cutler being all victims of being highly sacked QBs, it.

Point is, he is his own worst enemy.

As for the Patriots cheating, it's best to move on whether they did it or not for the sake of our own sanity. I'll be bitter towards losing to them but only because of how terrible Martz's gameplan was.

I'll stop arguing right here, you're a fellow Ram fan so there's shouldn't be a reason to fight over different opinions.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I'll stop arguing right here, you're a fellow Ram fan so there's shouldn't be a reason to fight over different opinions.
    If patsys didn't spy we would all be singing different tune. This was a high octane offense. BTW the patsys scored 14 points in first half and Rams none. If no halftime adjustments were made why did the Rams score 17 points second half when patsys only scored 6? Plus that first meeting in Foxboro Rams won that game by only one TD. Patsys still had a top defense that year ranked 6th. Belecheat as much as we despise him has put an excellent product on the field and his scheme prevailed, even if it was cheating that gave him a shameful edge.

I'm not going to knock Martz for his game plan. This game was tied with like a minute and twenty one seconds. Our defense couldn't hold and lost this game. Had our defense held on to the tie I would have relished our chances in OT.

Bottom line cheaters do sometimes win!
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -02-01-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Now imagine if we won that game and spygate still came to light afterwards? We'd be laughing our balls off at the same time, seeing how pathetic they are to lose that game.

it's apparent that he needs someone to keep his playcalling in check if he's gonna run an offense.
    Well then let's see, with him keeping his own play calling in check while running the Rams offense from 1999 -2005, the Rams were able to compile a 66-35 (.653) regular season record and a 6-4 (.600) post season record. Winning 1 of 2 SB's.

Hmmm.....not very apparent at all.

He could learn a thing or two from Norv Turner and the emphasis on the run game in a vertical offense.
    Like the time he worked under Norv at the redskins before coming to the Rams? Or should we talk about the 1999 season when Martz became the OC for the Rams and showed not only Norv but the rest of the NFL a side to the offense that they had never seen the likes of before?

P.S.
    Would you please stop posting unsubstantiated garbage about Mike Martz

LA Rammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Well then let's see, with him keeping his own play calling in check while running the Rams offense from 1999 -2005, the Rams were able to compile a 66-35 (.653) regular season record and a 6-4 (.600) post season record. Winning 1 of 2 SB's.

Hmmm.....not very apparent at all.

Like the time he worked under Norv at the redskins before coming to the Rams? Or should we talk about the 1999 season when Martz became the OC for the Rams and showed not only Norv but the rest of the NFL a side to the offense that they had never seen the likes of before?

P.S.
    Would you please stop posting unsubstantiated garbage about Mike Martz

During those 6 six years of a winning record, he had a boatload of HoF talent carrying the team that slowly aged. Back that with a garbage management under the Frontierre/Rosenbloom regime and you have a recipe for disaster. As for my unsubstantiated garbage, I'm just stating facts about Martz's flaws. It's obvious confirmation bias runs rampant around these parts (which is understandable since it is a Rams forum) so I'll let you stick to what you believe.

During those 6 six years of a winning record, he had a boatload of HoF talent carrying the team that slowly aged. Back that with a garbage management under the Frontierre/Rosenbloom regime and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Yeah and So? He got a boatload of production and success out of that talent. Would you not agree?

Agreed about him being backed by poor management. I don't blame Martz for that, I blame the ownership. They needed to put good people behind him for support of personnel decisions. He was a coach not a general manager.

So, I don't really understand what this has to do with your previous statements about him needing to be kept in check on play calling or how he could of learned under Norv. I think he did learn under Norv and then took it to the next level.

As for my unsubstantiated garbage, I'm just stating facts about Martz's flaws.
    IMO you are not stating facts you are stating perceived notions. You have nothing to back these so called facts up with. To me, it's nothing more than the same rhetoric Martz haters have been using for years.

I'll let you stick to what you believe.
    Well thank you. I'm not sure what you truly believe about Martz, but I believe Martz was a damn good coach that got the absolute most out of the talent he had. I think he was an innovator and I think he set the tone for what was to become a prolific passing league.

LA Rammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Well thank you. I'm not sure what you truly believe about Martz, but I believe Martz was a damn good coach that got the absolute most out of the talent he had. I think he was an innovator and I think he set the tone for what was to become a prolific passing league.
    Did you read the 9th post I made on this thread? It clearly says I support Martz but he obviously needs someone to control his madness of running a pass happy offense. I remember watching that Bears-Giants game in 2010 where Cuter was sacked 10 times because Martz often called for deep drop backs (which obviously doesn't bode well for against an elite pass rushing defense).

Martz as an OC is excellent when under a good coach like Vermeil. As an HC, an elite roster will mask his deficiencies.

Seeing that you're unwilling to respond to NJ RamsFan's post in the other thread, you blatantly lack objectivity in depth when it comes to acknowledging perspectives from different angles and rely on cynicism with a pinch of personal attacks. If the roles were reversed for teams, I'm sure most of us would be laughing it off while the other team would have their share of bitterness some fans here reflect upon.
    PARamfan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast