Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie Bytes: No excuse for Rams O-line ..

Bernie makes some fair points, and I agree that the OL's performance was disappointing. But to just shrug off injury issues and the shuffling that's gone on, and pretend like that isn't going to have an effect on the field, just doesn't make much logical sense.

Bell was out, Greco was out. Brown was shifted over to guard. Smith was playing despite not getting a lot of practice time after coming back from injury. This is the recipe for a poor night, but hopefully as some of these guys get healthy and get some more reps, things will improve.

I think the overall lack of continuity of our projected regular season starters is just as concerning if not more so than some of the breakdowns that happened in the first preseason game.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Kind of missing Barron about now. When he wanted to, he could dominate. I remember the Minnesota game last year where despite the usual holding call, he shut Jared Allen down. At this point, I'm terrified of whoever Jason Smith lines up against.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Alex Barron anyone?
    Ummm false start, 5 yard penalty, ring a bell. There was a reason we traded him, remember.

GO RAMS

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    Ummm false start, 5 yard penalty, ring a bell. There was a reason we traded him, remember.

GO RAMS
    And if you watched the first Cowboy preseason game, he hasn't learned anything different. He started as second string LT and got beat and was penalized again and again. I am not missing him at all. But, I am wanting improvement on our line for Sam and us fans sake.
    This space for rent...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

But we should be deeper than before. I can see the need to let these guys have a second position for depths sake. But for gods sake, let them learn their first position first. Huh?
    Tell me when it's over,

macrammer is offline Registered User

Interesting. Looks like Linehan cannot be blamed by the clan for this!

This whole issue falls squarely on Devaney and Spags. Will not go anywhere, make any progress without O-Line stability and at least mediocre play (apologies for stating the obvious). Here's keeping my fingers crossed that O-line improvement is forthcoming. Without it, we are in for another top 5 pick...

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Wow great article bernie, it's about time.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

The line was scary to say the least, but here's my question-thought on the subject and someone correct me if I'm off base here, at some point position coaching has to come into play here. I wonder if Orlando Pace would have been as good as he was if Jim Hanifan were not here in the early part of his career or would he have struggled like Jason Smith? Both players were very talented at the college level but only one so far has excelled at the next level. Is that coaching or does it show your level of desire at the pro level?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Bernie nailed this one. You'd think that a sense of pride would, at sometime, kick in and those guys would stand up and put up a fight. You know the word on the street is that the Rams O line is their biggest weakness. They've been called out, and that was the resulting effort?

Wow. ...just wow.
    Spot on. These guys have to reach a point where they just man up and show some legitimate fight. It was embarrassing for me watching the performances against Minnesota and it should have been damned embarrassing for them. You don't have to be the best, but you better give your best. I have yet to see it.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

The article should be slapped on the locker of every Rams offensive lineman as required reading. Start showing some freaking pride and start playing like you have a clue. Without good line play, the season will be over before it starts- end of story. You can't win without good o-line performance, and Bradford will wind up on a slab.

Those clammoring for Alex Barron don't get it. Alex Barron is a losing player, plain and simple. His false starts, lack of focus and underachieving performances make him so. "Potential" is only a good word when you're a 1st or 2nd year player. When you've been in the league 6 or 7 years and you're still inconsistent and making the same mistakes, you aren't any good and are part of the problem. The Rams did the right thing by cutting bait.

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I wonder if Orlando Pace would have been as good as he was if Jim Hanifan were not here in the early part of his career or would he have struggled like Jason Smith? Both players were very talented at the college level....
    There's no comparison between the college careers of Pace and Smith. The former won the Lombardi Trophy twice, the Outland Trophy, the Jim Parker Award and was widely recognised as the number one prospect in that year's draft; the latter was a converted tight end.

As for this year's line in general, it's imperative that the first-team linemen get as much playing time together as possible. A good line is built on stability as well as individual talent, so we need the starting quintet to get in as many reps as possible.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

And like all good trench warriors they should hold hands whenever possible.
    Tell me when it's over,

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Two things need to happen:

First, Bradford needs to take control and leadership.

Second, Sprag better give the O-line due better or else speach...like either play like professionals or look at the prospect of never playing pro-football again.

A statement that Sprag can make is saying to the o-line that they sux so bad that management has decided not to risk Bradford and play with other QBs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12