Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie Bytes: Plaxico Buress As A Ram?

Bernie Bytes: Plaxico Burress as a Ram?

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Friday, January 28, 2011 11:35 am

* The Rams need wide receivers, yes. Sure. I've been banging that particular snare drum for, oh, two years. But I suppose I'm having a difficult time understanding the fan-media obsession with former NY Giants WR Plaxico Burress. He hasn't played in an NFL game since Nov. 23, 2008. He went to prison on gun-related charges. He's due to be released on June 6 of this year. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is saying that Burress will "definitely" play in the NFL in 2011. Given the Steve Spagnuolo-Giants connection, the Rams are viewed as a potential fit for Plax.

* At his peak, Burress was a big-play receiver. Used his 6-5 height to make physical catches in the red zone. If opponents underestimated him and lined up one DB on him outside, Burress could burn them downfield -- though he's not a classic deep threat. And he'll be 34 in August. Burress missed all of 2009 and 2010. What will the long layoff do to his flat-line speed, quickness and overall skills? The rust and erosion could be substantial. Sure, QB Michael Vick went to prison and missed two seasons. But when Vick returned to the NFL in 2009, he was 29 years old. Younger than Burress is now. And it took Vick a season to get into maximum shape and regain his quickness. How long would it take Burress to sharpen up, if he can?

* I'm not sure why anyone believes Burress can walk out of prison, jump into a huddle at Rams Park, and be the answer. That strikes me as pretty naive. Is Burress worth a look? Sure. Could he be a role player, a contributor? That's possible, depending on what he has left. But I think the Rams need to be more ambitious if the opportunity arises to land a WR. If they have a chance -- depending on free agency under the new system, whenever that's in place -- to get a guy that's been making plays and honing skills the last couple of years instead of sitting in a jail cell, then that should be the play. And the Rams need to draft a wideout, too. Maybe even in the 1st round depending on who is there at No. 14 overall.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bytes: Plaxico Buress As A Ram?

i'd rather have him then laurent robinson lol.... but who knows maybe we'll get him on the team and see what he can provide ... if T.O. can do it right now. so can he... im sure he must be working out while he's locked up anyways... what else would you do for 2 years in a cell???

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind him on the team but only as a last resort(If we dont draft an NFL ready wideout or somehow don't land a better FA)

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    i'd rather have him then laurent robinson lol.... but who knows maybe we'll get him on the team and see what he can provide ... if T.O. can do it right now. so can he... im sure he must be working out while he's locked up anyways... what else would you do for 2 years in a cell???
    I would be protecting my butt if I was in there for 2 years lol.

Well Michael Vick has proven it as at least possible to be locked up and come out and be fantastic. But that is Vick we will have to see how Burress does.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Intriguing, but Burress is not what we are looking for. Have to pass on this one.

Plus we don't want any receivers who walk and run with a limp.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Rams should stay far away from Plex, His talent alone is not worth the risk. He's sure to ask Spags to throw him a bone, having won Superbowl rings together. If Spags sticks to his column of pilars he shall have nothing to do with Mr. Burris. The Rams passed on TO, McNabb, Vick when they were desparate enough to take a chance, the Rams now not as desparate, should continue to pass on questionable characters. Sorry Plexico, No Go!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What is with Bernie's remarkable turnaround this season? I'm bobbing like Pavlov's dog.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I think this is a product of the fact that Spags has made a habit of hand picking players he has a history with. Which is fine with me, he seems to know what he's doing. What I don't understand is why some media types seem to assume that being on the same team = liking that person. Maybe he thought Plax was a complete a-hole, or maybe a saint..he just got out of jail so I'm guessing its not that latter, but my point is, just because they were on a previous team is a weak reason to assume Spags will want him here. I guess its possible that as a last resort or out of desperation, but like Dgr828 said, we're not really desperate anymore. I think it's incredibly unlikely at best..unless DeSpags pull a complete 180 for no particular reason.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    But I think the Rams need to be more ambitious if the opportunity arises to land a WR. If they have a chance -- depending on free agency under the new system, whenever that's in place -- to get a guy that's been making plays and honing skills the last couple of years instead of sitting in a jail cell, then that should be the play. And the Rams need to draft a wideout, too. Maybe even in the 1st round depending on who is there at No. 14 overall.
    To this i say: Amen! [Just to be on the safe side]Stay as far away from Plax as possible, especially w/ a young, developing QB & a young locker room.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Burress was on the Giants at the same time Spags was a coach on the Giants. That does not mean that Spags has either a history or relationship with Burress. THis is the same old stuff that comes up every time a player in a position of need comes on the market. Think about it this way. Just because you work in the same office with someone or at the same company does that mean that you have a positive relationship with him or would hire him if you had the chance? At least on the defensive side, you could make the argument that since Spags was running the defense he must have had some kind of relationship with the guys since he controlled their playing time. But an offensive player? Who knows what his relationship was. Unmitigated rampant speculation based on our obvious need at the position.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I have always had a soft spot for Plaxico, but I would be disappointed if he was the "premium" free agent WR we all want this year. Now if we bring him in for cheap and also draft Julio Jones and resign Clayton, I would feel pretty good about our corps.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Remember, though, Vick wasn't ready when the Eagles got him. It wasn't until this year that Vick showed he former quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post

Well Michael Vick has proven it as at least possible to be locked up and come out and be fantastic. But that is Vick we will have to see how Burress does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Pass...the guy didn't have great work habits with the Giants and my instincts tell me Spags knows this and will stay away. At least Vick's crime though awful could be rationalized; Plaxico's offense was just outright dumb!

Go Rams!

Major30 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I have always had a soft spot for Plaxico, but I would be disappointed if he was the "premium" free agent WR we all want this year. Now if we bring him in for cheap and also draft Julio Jones and resign Clayton, I would feel pretty good about our corps.
    I wouldn't mind if we drafted Julio Jones and resigned Clayton first, then brought in Plaxico (cheap) to see if he could contribute.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Nononononono. I'm not convinced that he would be any better than our current corps anyway. It's too big a risk with too little a reward. We can spent Kronk's money elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast