Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Rams' Offense Still Futile

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie Bytes: Rams' Offense Still Futile

Bernie Bytes: Rams' offense still futile

59 minutes ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

While the Rams have shown modest improvement in some areas of their offense, they’re still crawling near the bottom of the league in points scored. That’s disappointing. No, I didn’t expect the Rams to start putting up points like New England, Green Bay, New Orleans or Denver. The Rams are still operating with talent limitations.

The Rams are averaging 17.1 points per game, which ranks 31st among the 32 teams. This is in line with their struggles in recent years; since 2007 the best the Rams have done is finish tied for 26th in 2010, when they averaged 18.1 yards per game.

This year’s average (17.1) is better than last season’s rate of 12.1 points per game. But it’s hardly satisfactory. And relative to the other NFL teams, the Rams are still lagging behind on offense. They’re 30th among the 32 teams with 11 touchdowns from scrimmage.

At that pace they’ll top last season’s total of 16 TDs from scrimmage, but that’s not the point. The 2011 Rams were so futile on offense, some improvement was inevitable in 2012. It was almost impossible to be as bad as they were a year ago.

I thought new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer would make more of an impact. After all, QB Sam Bradford is in his third season. The offense has a better mix at running back. At least one impact WR (Chris Givens) has been added to the passing game. The offensive line isn’t good, but it isn’t horrible, either.

The Rams offense should be better than this. I’m not saying the unit should be elite; no one is holding the Rams to the “Greatest Show on Turf” standards. I think our expectations are grounded, and more than reasonable.

And this offense should be better than it is. The Rams’ offense is still short on playmakers. They don’t have enough players who make a difference. But they have added talent. In my opinion, the Rams are more capable, even though the coaching staff has gotten little out of two second-round draft picks, WR Brian Quick and RB Isaiah Pead.

Here are a few things that trouble me:

• This wasn’t a factor in New England’s 45-7 beatdown, but this team’s red-zone problems are still severe. The Rams ranked 28th in the league in red-zone TD percentage in 2011, and are only marginally better this year. I don’t see an excuse that would justify such a weak performance in the red zone.

• The Rams’ offense is undisciplined. They’ve committed 12 false start/offsides penalties, and that’s one of the highest totals in the league. They have three delay of game penalties; that’s tied for the third-highest total. There have been six holding penalties, which isn’t bad. But these are mistakes that are defined by penalty flags. Mental errors have ended too many opportunities.

• According to STATS LLC, the Rams offense has 58 negative plays in eight games; that’s the second-highest total in the league. There have been 32 negative-yards rushes, 20 sacks allowed, and six pass completions that lost yards.

• The Rams have done a solid job of holding onto the football; they rank tied for 6th in the NFL in the number of possessions (12) that last five minutes or longer. But this team has no quick-strike capability. You never see the Rams take the ball, and scoot into the end zone. They’ve had 87 possessions this season, with no quick-strike TDs. (Quick-strike drives are defined by STATS as four plays or fewer.) The Rams are methodical to a fault. And they are a paradox because …

• The rushing attack isn’t as robust as it should be. Having a methodical offense would work if the Rams could consistently muscle the ball on the ground, but that doesn’t happen. Head coach Jeff Fisher has always advocated a strong running game; over his 16 seasons as coach of the Titans only five NFL teams rushed for more yards. In Schottenheimer’s six years as offensive coordinator for the NY Jets, his offense led the league in rushing over the six-year period.

Well, the Rams don’t seem dedicated to the run. They rank 21st in the NFL in rushing attempts per game. They’re 18th in rushing. They have only two rushing TDs, which is tied for the league’s lowest total. The Rams have had 11 percent of their running plays stuffed; that puts them down in the rankings at No. 21. And yet they average 4.2 yards per rush, which is decent. So why don’t they run more? What frustrates me is the Rams have more versatility and options in the backfield than they’ve had in years. Steven Jackson is an effective power runner. Rookie Daryl Richardson complements the SJ power game with speed and elusiveness. Pead looked good late in Sunday’s game. He has talent. The offensive line blocks the run pretty well. The overall mediocrity of the running game is puzzling.

• Sam Bradford isn’t a closer. He isn’t a finisher. I will dish the numbers on this in tomorrow’s Bytes. Bradford has improved overall, but finishing drives continues to be a persistent problem. That isn’t all on Bradford, but he’s certainly a factor.

Again, I’ll break down some of the particulars tomorrow.

Thanks for reading…

— Bernie

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bytes: Rams' Offense Still Futile

The Rams offense should be better than this.
    Why? The Rams overhauled the defense and did not have enough cash or picks to fix the lackluster offense we have seen in the last few years.

I thought new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer would make more of an impact. After all, QB Sam Bradford is in his third season. The offense has a better mix at running back. At least one impact WR (Chris Givens) has been added to the passing game. The offensive line isn’t good, but it isn’t horrible, eitherr.
    Aw here it is yes it's horrible.... the fact that Bradford has to get the ball out so fast limits what this offense can do. When you have to keep your TE in most of the time to help protect, it hurts the offense. While the Pat's have their TE running free in the seams, we have our blocking to helping the tackles that can't do it on their own.

Let hope we see an improvement in the second half when we get the O line back.
    thoey likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Does this guy even watch games?
    This space for rent...

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

The Rams are averaging 17.1 points per game, which ranks 31st among the 32 teams. This is in line with their struggles in recent years; since 2007 the best the Rams have done is finish tied for 26th in 2010, when they averaged 18.1 yards per game

— Bernie
    I just have this to say...................................any team averaging 17, 18 points per game on only 18 yards per game, is pretty damn good to me

Sorry Bernie, I couldn't resist.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

• Sam Bradford isn’t a closer. He isn’t a finisher. I will dish the numbers on this in tomorrow’s Bytes. Bradford has improved overall, but finishing drives continues to be a persistent problem. That isn’t all on Bradford, but he’s certainly a factor.

— Bernie
    Being 31 of 32 in points scored is evidence of this. It's not just Bradford but he is the QB.