Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bernie Bytes: Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'

2 hours ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

Good morning. Travel back from Chicago got me off to a late start today so I will be adding more things later, if you care to check back. Thanks.

It’s way too early to say the Rams made a mistake in choosing wide receiver Brian Quick with the 33rd overall selection in the 2012 draft. But they did commit a mistake after making the pick. They hyped Quick. Not just a little hype, either. All teams say positive things about their draft choices. But I’m not talking about that. The Rams went way beyond the standard praise.

The most telling example came in a Yahoo Sports column written by the excellent Michael Silver, a longtime NFL writer that spent many years with Sports Illustrated before heading to Yahoo.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher gave Silver complete access in the team’s draft room, and Silver used the behind-the-scenes opportunity to come up with some great material.

The selection of Quick was the subject of an entire Silver column. He wrote about how the Rams’ football leaders secretly flew to North Carolina to put Quick through a private workout. The Rams were so impressed by what they saw, they circled Quick as a target and shifted their draft strategy because of it.

Confident that Quick would be on the board when the Rams started off the 2nd Round with the 33rd overall selection, GM Les Snead and Fisher disregarded the WR position as a first-round option.

Instead, the Rams traded down with Dallas, moving from No. 6 in the first round to No. 14 and choosing LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers. The Rams received the No. 45 overall selection from Dallas to trade places. Then the Rams moved down again, dealing the 45th pick to Chicago and sliding to No. 50. The Rams chose RB Isaiah Pead with the 50th slot and used the draft pick acquired from Chicago to take guard Rok Watkins in the fifth round.

The Rams were so enamored of Quick, they rearranged their draft plans. That’s quite a tribute to the kid. And when it came time to make the pick at No. 33, the Rams were ecstatic, and aroused. The fans picked up on the Rams' excitement and immediately pegged the rookie as an instant-impact weapon for Sam Bradford.

Here’s some of the scenery as described by Silver:

• As the Rams were turning in the card with the Quick pick, their wide receivers coach, Ray Sherman, did an impersonation of Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Sherman did the title-belt pose, pretending to wrap a championship belt around his waist. And then to mimic the insurance-company commercial starring Rodgers, Sherman proclaimed “Discount Double Check.”

• Sherman compared Quick’s size and talent to that of Terrell Owens, the Hall of Fame caliber wide receiver that Sherman coached in Dallas. “I see a lot of similarities to Terrell Owens,” Sherman told Silver. “The way the kid goes and gets the ball, the physicality, the desire … he has a chance to be special, no doubt.”

• That became the genesis of the headline over Silver’s piece: “Rams land next T.O. in Brian Quick following secret trip to North Carolina.”

• Quick’s private workout apparently became the stuff of legend. “All in all, the workout was as close to perfect as anyone could have expected,” Silver wrote.

Silver added this: “Standing on the sideline, Fisher and Snead gave each other knowing looks that, loosely translated, asked one another, Are you seeing what I'm seeing?’ ’’

“He's a tall, athletic, talented receiver,” Fisher told Silver. “He's got great speed and impressive ball skills. He might not be a big name, but we believe he'll do some big things for us.”

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer told Silver, “We were all pretty impressed. The ball (practically) never hit the ground once. Even though he's a tall guy, he got his weight low and grabbed the ball without making it look difficult. He got in and out of breaks, and he was explosive.”

Silver offered this conclusion: “Seven days later, the Rams made Quick the first pick of the second round, giving Sam Bradford the young receiving threat he has lacked since coming to St. Louis as the first overall pick of the 2010 draft.”

That was then.

On Sunday, Quick wasn’t given a uniform for Sunday’s game at Chicago. The put him on the inactive list for the game. In the first two games, against Detroit and Washington, Quick played only six snaps, total.

Oddly enough, the Rams are still touting Quick, still offering comparisons that are a disservice to the kid. (The latest: Quick and Vincent Jackson. Are you kidding? Vincent Jackson? Can the Rams at least stop with the hype?)

The Rams have given the playing time at the position to holdovers Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson, free-agent signee Steve Smith, Chris Givens (this year’s fourth-round draft choice), and Austin Pettis (a third-round pick in 2011.)

Three of the five wideouts were brought here by the previous regime led by GM Billy Devaney.

As for Givens and Smith, the two Fisher-Snead guys, it’s good to see Givens get a chance. He has speed and potential. If anything the Rams should utilize him more. I’ll be honest: I don’t see what the fuss is over Steve Smith. Nothing personal against him; I admire how he battled back from a career-threatening knee injury. In three games the Rams have targeted Smith 10 times, and it’s resulted in five catches for 70 yards. They targeted him three times at Detroit, and three times at Chicago. He hasn’t made much of an impact, but it’s early.

Meanwhile, the next T.O. stands on the sideline. A team that was desperate to upgrade at wide receiver won’t use Quick. A team that wants to build through the draft has yet to figure out what to do with the No. 33 overall pick. And when you are as bad as the Rams have been, you have to score big with the 33rd overall choice. He should be good enough to play for you. And if he isn’t then there are questions.

So what’s the issue? Fisher says it’s a matter of the other receivers being ahead of Quick, who isn’t ready.

Why? It could be one of several things or a combination of all of them:

1. Quick isn’t as good as the Rams believed. They were seduced by a workout.

2. Quick is having problems learning the offense. At Appalachian State, the offense had a limited playbook.

3. The Rams coaches are doing an inadequate job of getting Quick ready for the NFL. It’s their job to coach up the rookies, and get them ready to play. When you take over a desolate, rebuilding program it's imperative to develop these guys. And as soon as possible.

4. Quick is raw, comes from a small program, and needs extra time to develop.

Still, it’s frustrating to see him standing around, not having a role for an offense that needs playmakers. Other rookie wideouts are contributing to their teams, especially Kendall Wright (Tennessee), Alshon Jeffery (Chicago), Stephen Hill (NY Jets) and T.Y. Hilton (Indianapolis.)

It’s also true that other rookie WRs are struggling, or have yet to receive an opportunity. That’s especially true of Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville), Michael Floyd (Arizona) and A.J. Jenkins (San Francisco.)

Patience is necessary, I guess.

But up to this point, Ray Sherman’s comparison of Quick to Terrell Owens is accurate in one sense: T.O. isn’t playing, either.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie Bytes: Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'

What a stupid article.

Bernie is a total hypocrite. He complains about the knee-jerk, whining fans, then proceeds to feed them.

I'll evaluate Quick when the time is right. Not after 3 games.
    sonnyjames and bradwill like this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

exactly, give him time, when he's ready, he'll play, well, more than a couple snaps

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don’t see what the fuss is over Steve Smith. Nothing personal against him; I admire how he battled back from a career-threatening knee injury. In three games the Rams have targeted Smith 10 times, and it’s resulted in five catches for 70 yards
    I agree, with this Smith is not blowing me away. Going to be interesting to see how long they go with Smith and Gibson. I would take Pettis and Gibson. I will try and stay patience, like I have a choice.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    But I’m not talking about that. The Rams went way beyond the standard praise.
    Okay, let's see -

"He's a tall, athletic, talented receiver,” Fisher told Silver. “He's got great speed and impressive ball skills. He might not be a big name, but we believe he'll do some big things for us.”

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer told Silver, “We were all pretty impressed. The ball (practically) never hit the ground once. Even though he's a tall guy, he got his weight low and grabbed the ball without making it look difficult. He got in and out of breaks, and he was explosive.”
    Sounds like pretty standard praise to me. Bernie must be having writers block after that late start today.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I hope Quick can put it together quicker rather than later. I think next off-season is time to part with Steve Smith and Brandon Gibson, and start Pettis, Givens, or Quick.
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'
    Sounds to me like Michael Silver (not the Rams) was too quick to anoint the next T.O.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Sounds to me like Michael Silver (not the Rams) was too quick to anoint the next T.O.
    And, thanks to Bernie's need to sensationalize, he may have just ensured that Silver won't get invited back to the Rams' war room.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And, thanks to Bernie's need to sensationalize, he may have just ensured that Silver won't get invited back to the Rams' war room.
    I'm the guy that reads that stuff about the, private workout and the private jet with all the Rams executes doing this covert mission to find this special player. I must be a tad naive because I bought it.

I got to wise up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm the guy that reads that stuff about the, private workout and the private jet with all the Rams executes doing this covert mission to find this special player. I must be a tad naive because I bought it.

I got to wise up.
    But you're not the one stirring up the trolls at the PD.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Seriously, did the Rams hype Quick or did Michael Silver? And as a sportswriter himself he's admitting to being let down by the hype generated by another sports writer instead of his own research ... I mean how sad is that?

Having not read the original article he's referring to, but instead reading this PoS, it looks like the same standard bull**** from a coach to me. What are they supposed to say? Well, we really don't like this guy we're looking at, this is just an honest attempt to piss away an early second round draft pick because we really don't know what the flock we're doing.

Ugh, Bernie just likes to stir up folks at the asylum, and I think that's all this article is trying to do, which sadly appears to work for him and is a fairly sad reflection of life on this planet

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think it's a little too easy to dismiss this as typical Bernie bluster. That both Quick and Pead are off to disappointingly slow starts to their careers is demonstrable fact. The Chicago game was not the place to try to get him involved, not vs that defense & with a battered OL, but I'd certainly like to have seen some positive indication that the new regime with their touted experience & oh-so-cutting edge metrics regarding offensive player evaluation were worth a damn.
    macrammer likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I am not really frustrated or surprised at what is currently going on with BQ, but at some point or another in the season I would definitely like to see him involved and know that he was worth the high 33rd pick. It would be disappointing if he does not pan out because as a franchise we really need him to.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

I got to wise up.
    Even #1 overall picks aren't a sure thing. There's no way that every 2012 Rams draft pick is going to pan out. Hopefully Quick can contribute down the line. He was hyped laike crazy though.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Bottom line in my mind is that regardless of who hyped who or who said what about whom, Quick hasn't done diddly squat yet. And with a group of receivers who are mediocre at best, his inability/unreadiness to break into the lineup is disappointing to me. Our track record of disappointing wideouts- Avery, Gilyard, Burton, etc... makes it tough for me to stomach the "be patient" and "he's coming along" sentiments. WE NEED FREAKING RECEIVING HELP!! And a 33rd overall pick has got to do what he has to do to get his rear end in there. And I'm not talking three years from now.

Amendola remains the only guy who is a bona fide player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast