Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bernie Bytes: Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie Bytes: Rams too Quick to anoint 'next T.O.'

I feel like this article probably could have been reduced down to two lines...

4. Quick is raw, comes from a small program, and needs extra time to develop.
    Still, itís frustrating to see him standing around, not having a role for an offense that needs playmakers.
    Done.

For whatever reason, I think a lot of us may have had our expectations raised on Quick and his ability to contribute quickly (no pun intended), but we have to remember the circumstances that he's in and have some patience. It's frustrating to spend a second round pick on a guy and not have him contribute early, but Quick has to adjust to the pro game before he can be counted on on the field. If the coaches feel he's not there yet, then he's not there yet.
    Holt Your Horses likes this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I see nothing wrong with the article. As usual, AV disagrees with Bernie. So what else is not new?

I am with Bernie all the way on this.

IMO, and barring injury of course, the 33rd pick in every draft should be on the field contributing from day one. Particularly for a team like the Rams, the worst in NFL history over a five year period.

In this instance, "not ready to play" means, he is not as good or not as capable of learning the offense as you thought he was.

Appalachian St. is a long way from the NFL.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

As a rookie, Torry Holt played in 16 games and started 15 of those. He had 52 catches for 788 yards with 6 td's. He was a #6 overall pick.

Isaac Bruce had a slower start. As a rookie he appeared in 12 games with no starts. He had 21 catches for 272 yards and 3 td's. Interestingly enough, Bruce was a second round pick #33 overall.

Isaac really stepped it up in his second season. 16 starts with 119 catches for 1781 yards and 13 td's.

What does all this have to do with Quick? Well I don't know, but if Bruce is a good measuring stick (and I think he certainly is) then Quick is not yet a bust.

That being said, I'd still like to see some production out of Quick this season.

Oh and btw: a place called Memphis was a long way from the NFL.

Last edited by Curly Horns; -09-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I just dont understand how some peoples brains work. I mean really? The guy was picked in the 2nd round. He came out of Appalachian State. You want to know how much of a transition that is? Frickin NFL analysts and draft Guru's continued to say he played in DIV II... He actually played in DIV I. That right there should explain everything to you.

The guy needs time. Were 3 weeks into the season and people are already complaining about the pick and him being a bust. Give the guy a frickin break and some time! A big WR like him needs to learn how to run every route crisply, while also reading defenses. He isn't like Chris Givens who can solely rely on his speed.

I think Quick can be a good WR. He has size, decent speed, and the hands. Hopefully he can continue to progress and not ruin his confidence from not being dressed last week.

May I ask again why are Steve Smith and Brandon Gibson dressing?

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    As a rookie, Torry Holt played in 16 games and started 15 of those. He had 52 catches for 788 yards with 6 td's. He was a #6 overall pick.

Isaac Bruce had a slower start. As a rookie he appeared in 12 games with no starts. He had 21 catches for 272 yards and 3 td's. Interestingly enough, Bruce was a second round pick #33 overall.

Isaac really stepped it up in his second season. 16 starts with 119 catches for 1781 yards and 13 td's.

What does all this have to do with Quick? Well I don't know, but if Bruce is a good measuring stick (and I think he certainly is) then Quick is not yet a bust.

That being said, I'd still like to see some production out of Quick this season.

Oh and btw: a place called Memphis was a long way from the NFL.
    Lets keep in mind with Bruce, he was playing behind Willie Anderson and Jessie Hester as a rookie. I don't see that kind of talent on this roster. Bruce his second year went off!

Here is Bruce today talking about Quick.

101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Isaac Bruce

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think it's a little too easy to dismiss this as typical Bernie bluster. That both Quick and Pead are off to disappointingly slow starts to their careers is demonstrable fact. The Chicago game was not the place to try to get him involved, not vs that defense & with a battered OL, but I'd certainly like to have seen some positive indication that the new regime with their touted experience & oh-so-cutting edge metrics regarding offensive player evaluation were worth a damn.
    Exactly,,,,Bernie haters aside, Quick has been a no show. Not dressing in the third week is worrisome to say the least.
    Time will tell, obviously, but the gist of the article is spot on for me.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Justin Blackmon has 4, Michael Floyd has 1 and AJ Jenkins has 0 receptions so far this year so this seems like a pretty silly overreaction. Hardly anybody is good immediately like AJ Green or Randy Moss and most receivers take at least 1 season to develop, especially when they are as raw as Brian Quick. He'll play when hes ready and judging a player like this 3 games into his NFL career is ridiculous.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I just dont understand how some peoples brains work. I mean really? The guy was picked in the 2nd round. He came out of Appalachian State. You want to know how much of a transition that is? Frickin NFL analysts and draft Guru's continued to say he played in DIV II... He actually played in DIV I. That right there should explain everything to you.

The guy needs time. Were 3 weeks into the season and people are already complaining about the pick and him being a bust. Give the guy a frickin break and some time! A big WR like him needs to learn how to run every route crisply, while also reading defenses. He isn't like Chris Givens who can solely rely on his speed.

I think Quick can be a good WR. He has size, decent speed, and the hands. Hopefully he can continue to progress and not ruin his confidence from not being dressed last week.

May I ask again why are Steve Smith and Brandon Gibson dressing?
    Nobody in this thread, not even the drama queen, Miklasz, is calling the guy a bust. The Rams' brass did, however, overhype the guy & it sounded like he was showing some promise early on in OTAs; remember SJ singling him out? I doubt Jack is happy that BQ has been worthy of only 6 snaps & I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder what happened for the regime to downgrade him so drastically. And, yes, we all get the transition from small ball is hard, it's very early, and the game situations dictated this to a large degree but it's not as if the others , apart from DA, have been forcing him to the bench for entire games with their steady productivity.

I totally disagree on Givens. That guy is just a football player with speed. I've seen him get open deep AND block well AND make a tough catch over the middle & hold on after getting rocked. The kid has an overall game. That's all I'd be looking for from Quick; some signs that his much-vaunted athleticism, hands, etc, aren't entirely negated by his inexperience.

And what's the rationale for Pead's struggles ? Not a college ball guy but Cincy is a decent big-time program, no ? It's great that D-Rich has shown up but, again, Pead SHOULD have something more to offer at this point than being nursemaided into downing kick-offs, especially when SJ is dinged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12