r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie Bytes: Suh Deserves NFL Rookie Of The Year

Bernie Bytes: Suh deserved NFL rookie of year

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Good morning ...

READING TIME 5 MINUTES:

* Not sure why so many Rams fans are offended by NFL players and coaches selecting Ndamukong Suh over Rams QB Sam Bradford as the league's Rookie of the Year in polling conducted by The Sporting News. The Detroit Lions' defensive tackle had an excellent season, with 10 sacks and a combined 22 quarterback knockdowns and hurries. That's big-time pass-rush production. It's rare, actually, for a DT.

* I'm a Bradford honk, but I have to be objective about this, and Suh was a better player on the field than Bradford this season. I also believe that Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey was No. 2 on the list. Pouncey came in, was given the responsibility of making all of the pass-protection calls for a Super Bowl contender, and played so well that he was voted to the Pro Bowl.

* Bradford had an exceptional rookie season. But let's remember what this poll was about. The Sporting News asked players and coaches to select the best rookie. Players and coaches are going to focus on the on-field performance. They aren't going to sit around and think about what a rookie means to a franchise. They aren't going to take a global view and consider whether a rookie changed the image of the franchise, or sold more tickets, or altered the team culture in a profound way. Players and coaches weren't thinking about who would have the most long-term value. No, the players and coaches will think about this on strictly football terms for 2010, and Suh was more dominant than Bradford.

* Bradford is the most valuable rookie in the league, because he had more impact in transforming a franchise than any player that entered the NFL in 2010. There is absolutely no question about that. I don't know if any NFL player was more valuable -- when we consider off-field impact -- than Bradford this season. But again, if we're limiting the discussion to on-field performance, I have no problem with Suh getting the honor.

* If someone tried to suggest that Suh was more valuable to the Lions than Bradford was to the Rams, I'd argue the point. But that's not what this was all about. In the "official" award, the NFL has an Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Defensive Rookie of the Year. And I'd be surprised if Bradford didn't win the award for his side of the field.

Moving on ...

* I keep thinking that Baltimore can go into Pittsburgh and win Saturday's AFC playoff game. And obviously these teams are very close. It's a toss-up game, as they say. However: if you're an NFL fan that's paid attention to the Ravens at all this season, you'll know that they are less than secure at offensive tackle. Left tackle Michael Oher, playing on a gimpy knee, has allowed seven sacks this season. He's also had 8 false starts. On the other side, RT Marshal Yanda has allowed 6 sacks. This is an issue because the Steelers led the league with 48 sacks this season. Can Baltimore's OTs keep the wolves away from QB Joe Flacco? Questionable. And unlike the debacle in Kansas City, the Steelers aren't likely to allow Ravens TE Todd Heap to run free in the middle of their secondary.

* This playoff run has prompted Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks to proclaim that they want QB Matt Hasselbeck to return in 2011. That's good for the Rams, no? I've said it before and will say it again: I have real respect for Hasselbeck. He's been an underrated QB. But he'll be 36 next season, and he's struggled with injuries. He won't be getting any younger or healthier. The longer the Seahawks stay with Hasselbeck, the more they'll put off the inevitable -- namely the project of developing a young QB to take over.

* How about Mizzou guard Marcus Denmon? After Wednesday's win over Nebraska, he has an overall shooting percentage of .510, which includes .505 from 3-point range. You don't find a lot of guards in D-1 who are making over 50 percent of their shots from two-point and the three-point areas. (Though Demetri McCamey, Illinois, is also among them.) ... Colorado beat Kansas State last night? In Manhattan? Perhaps CU's win over Mizzou wasn't such an upset, after all.

* Two different views of Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert:

1. He could be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

2. He could be a bust; this writer doesn't understand the Gabbert hype.

Thanks for reading ...

-Bernie

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie Bytes: Suh Deserves NFL Rookie Of The Year

I actually agree with him - Suh was more dominant on the field than Bradford was. However, QB is a far more important position than DT and so Bradford is the more valuable of the two.

wryangst Guest

I guess it comes down to which you value more, performing at a level of 9 with a position that has a skill level of 7, or performing at a level of 7 at a position that has a skill level of 10...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I can see the rationalizations for Suh deserving Rookie of the Year, but a rookie QB thrust into a starting role is in a completely different environment, an environment that is more difficult, with more responsibility, and more scrutiny. IMO, when a rookie QB has a solid season and amasses several NFL records in the process with a minimum of tools to work with, he deserves the Rookie of the Year title.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    However, QB is a far more important position than DT and so Bradford is the more valuable of the two.
    That's the bottom line, and will be for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by wryangst View Post
    I guess it comes down to which you value more, performing at a level of 9 with a position that has a skill level of 7, or performing at a level of 7 at a position that has a skill level of 10...
    Good point.