throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

THe Bernie comments on the Martz situation

The big guy had this opinion to give....

My belief is that Martz has had enough, and rather than expose himself to more of this, he's going underground where isn't exposed to more contamination.

The next test will come when it's time for a contract extension for him after this season -- and we'll see Shaw tap dance and wiggle out.

It is my belief that Martz has coached his last game for the Rams.

You are right: I wrote about the Rams/Martz friction after last season, and wrote about a couple of times this season, and I remember in each instance all of the "experts" and "insiders" on the Rams' internet boards all but accused me of making it up.

Gee, they're awfully quiet these days.

--B

faulkyou is offline Registered User
    Martz Medically Unable To Coach This Season; Vitt To Continue As Interim Head Coach
    Monday, October 24, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Rams coach Mike Martz has been declared medically unable to coach for the remainder of the 2005 season. Martz told the Rams today that after further examination with treating physician Dr. Victoria Fraser, his illness will prevent him from performing his duties for the rest of the season.

Martz left the team and was admitted to Barnes Jewish Hospital on Sept. 30 for treatment and evaluation. Martz announced on Oct. 10 that he would be leaving the team. Interim head coach Joe Vitt will continue in his duties as the head coach for the rest of the season.

The originally scheduled 3 p.m press conference was moved back to 4:30 p.m. today.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: THe Bernie comments on the Martz situation

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith0
    I wrote about the Rams/Martz friction after last season, and wrote about a couple of times this season, and I remember in each instance all of the "experts" and "insiders" on the Rams' internet boards all but accused me of making it up.

Gee, they're awfully quiet these days.

--B
    Sure does look like Bernie should be telling a couple of people to "Glower this" ...

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It seems odd to me that Avenger is not here to discuss this issue especially if we are going to be posting Bernie's comments.

I don't know what think about Martz at the moment. He needs to address his health issues now, but I am not sure he is gone from the Rams for good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie went on to say:

"Can you feel that Avenger, huh, you like that one baby....plenty more where that came from"
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Soprano Guest

MNF and ESPN are saying the RAMS acknowledged Martz is done coaching in St. Louis.

This Organization has internal problems and Bernie was pointing this out - repeatedly - and it's true.. Why didn't the slasher guy get fired for leaving threatening messages and threatening Bernie's source (that Martz was continually getting Backstabbed from within the ORGANIZATION).

Martz is an offensive GENIUS. No one in the NFL can develop QBs like him either.

rampete Guest

the way i see it martz is in a good situation right now. he's resting to address his health issue and getting away from the rams FO must be a needed respite...at worst he'll be one of the hottest commodity as OC next season...

i can see al davis licking his chops at getting martz as his OC...

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    MNF and ESPN are saying the RAMS acknowledged Martz is done coaching in St. Louis.
    The Rams havnt acknowledged anything, these were opinions given by these network reporters such as Chris Mortenson and such. It may be true but no one in the Rams front office has said that he will never coach again.
    Just Fix It

Tony Soprano Guest

ESPN radio said there are reports out of St.Louis that Martz has coached his last game for the Rams. I had the Radio on at the same time as the TV and Michaels said something right before half about Martz and I assumed they were reporting what I read here on a thread and what ESPN radio was reporting.

If the other thread saying he's done in St. Louis is wrong and ESPN Radio is wrong... I stand corrected. I read the thread here and heard that on the Radio (and knowing that Zygmunt had prevented Martz from calling ONE PLAY), I assumed the report was correct.

Sorry for any confusion.

rammiser is offline Registered User

These stories are really getting away from everyone. As reported by espn about the play call, it was actually prevented by Shaw and Zygmunt. They said Zygmunt stopped the security guy and ushered him to Shaw and Shaw also said it wasnt going to happen. I think preventing Martz from making a play call from his house is a good thing. How would that make Fairchild look? How credible does Fairchild look for his next job interview when it gets out Martz is phoning in and sending messages telling him how to call a game? Martz should have known better than to try that. Calling during the week with game planning is one thing, sending love messages during a game is stupid.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

While the concept of factual accuracy is foreign to any discussion involving Bernie, allow me to add some facts:

1. I have not posted here because, for those of you who don't read anything but the sports page, a category 3 hurricane passed right over my house on Monday. For those of you who care, I recently got power and water back at the house, and finally was able to get into my office where my T1 is working (my DSL at home is not).

2. I have not posted on Bernie's Pressbox because the coward banned me when I criticized him.

3. I never said he made things up. Rather, I stated that I believed he exaggerated things (I still think that is the case) and I criticized him for never giving the specifics he claimed to have.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY - Bernie can gloat all he wants, but its not like he knew that any of this would happen. Look at his preseason column - he has the Rams going 11-5 and winning the division. He did not know that Martz would get sick and that the resulting turmoil would occur. If I were allowed on his board, I'd remind him of these things, but Bernie doesn't like dissent in his house.

In the end, Bernie's reports of in-fighting within the Rams organization had some substance. But that does not change the fact that he (1) continually printed innuendo on the subject, rather than facts, and (2) stoked the fire unnecessarily by handling the Samir situation the way he did.

In the end, Bernie is still a hack who is unable to keep an audience with quality investigating and writing, and instead resorts to tabloid sensationalism.

He'll always have a home in the Glower Rankings.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-26-2005 at 11:13 AM.