Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dan in Lafayett is offline Registered User

Re: Bernie: Deal in Place for Bennett

As a Saints fan, I was surprised to see the mention of a 3rd or 4th round pick. But then I got to thinking about supply and demand, and figured the price could get that high because Houston, Indy, Miami and KC are interested in Bennett as well. I guess there just isn't much available on the market at all.

I hope the Saints don't trade him. If the season were to start today, Bennett would start. I saw Deuce at the last mini camp and there is now way I think he will be ready for the season opener. ACL's take over a year to recoover from and he's only at 8 months. I also thinik there's a good chance Bush will hold out.

Dan
    SaintsReport.com

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Yea I think Bush will Hold Out too, greedy as if $50mil isn't good enough. Sheesh.
    RamsFan16

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Nice back to have in your line-up. Proven performer with some nice history, question marks too of course otherwise we wouldn't be talking about trading for him.

Not worth a 3rd, may be a 4th but I'd be more comfortable with a 5th.High cap value as well I would have thought, as he's only 28 has a decent deal with the Saints and we won't be giving him the starting job.

If we did take him for a 4th and went near to matching or did match his current deal then it's highly possible that he will will see a fair amount of action and Jackson won't be the focal point he was hoping to be. As he won't be getting 20-25 carries a game, the likelihood (Or possibility even........) of 2000 yards recedes into the distance.

It recedes even further if MF comes back, Fisher sees action on 3rd downs and you factor Bennett into the equation.

I think it's very possible that SJ may not be happy.

Very possible.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I think there is an excellent chance of that. Everywhere Linehan has gone, he's utilized to some degree RB-by-committee. I may be wrong, but I'm not sold that Linehan's going to give SJ the 25-30 carries a game that he's wanting.
    This is a fair point. It should be noted that, in his four year NFL experience running offenses, Linehan's teams have averaged around 28 carries a game. If Jackson wants 20-25 per game, that only leaves between 3-8 carries for other 'backs. Not a lot, right? Well, consider that over 16 games last year, Faulk only averaged four carries per game as the back-up and rotational guy behind Jackson, and even that kind of low workload didn't keep him off the surgeon's table this offseason. If he returns - which to me looks less and less likely with each passing day - is he really going to command more than this? I wouldn't put money on it.

Then there's the question of what happens if Faulk doesn't return. Fisher moves from the third guy on the depth chart to the second, but remember some of the things that brought Fisher to the Rams in the first place: (1) his ability to be a receiver out of the backfield, (2) being able to give Jackson, as Linehan called it, "a blow" and (3) Linehan's notion that they needed a third guy who can do the job if need be, which he's been quoted on I believe.

Not only that, but in Green Bay, Fisher averaged less than four carries a game over his four seasons. We signed him for close to the vet minimum, and I doubt such a low contract means we want to significantly upgrade his number of carries. Me personally, I really don't see Fisher as a guy who's going to command many carries himself, but rather slip in when the Rams need either more protection or someone to run out of the backfield to grab a ball on passing downs or to give Jackson a break in the running game.

Also consider that if Linehan still has that mindset that you need three 'backs whom you feel can get the job done if they have to, then that explains the interest in Bennett very simply - if Faulk retires, it leaves the Rams with only two guys, and Linehan has been operating under the mindset that you have to have three since March. Bennett, injuries and all, is certainly better than anyone out there on the market.

The only piece of the puzzle we're really left with is Linehan's history for using multiple backs - is it a preference or a situation he's somewhat painted into?

Consider in 2002, Linehan's first year, the committee approach started off the season but Linehan himself acknowledged that he didn't expect his backs to be content with 10 carries a game and said the committee approach would only last until one of them stepped up. Bennett eventually did, getting more consistent opportunities in the second half of the season.

In 2003, Bennett injured his foot in March, resulting in both Ontario Smith and Moe Williams splitting time through the first half of the year. Bennett was worked back in once he was healthy but I don't believe he finished the season without more injury problems.

Same for 2004 - Bennett was once again counted on as the guy going into the season (per Tice) but was injured in late August and missed five games. Ontario Smith, who likely would have gotten some carries regardless after an impressive rookie season, also got dinged up a bit and was suspended four games for substance abuse reasons. Smith and Bennett seemed to trade the starting job back and forth because of Smith's injuries - a shoulder here, a foot there, and to top it all off, the flu.

Now we enter 2005, and Linehan is faced with an interesting task. Ricky Williams retired in spring of 2004, and while he hinted at a possible comeback as early as October of the same year, nothing was officially worked out until late June early July. Without a franchise running back on the roster, and knowing they couldn't count on Williams, the Dolphins selected Ronnie Brown high in the draft. To further complicate matters, Ronnie Brown didn't get his contract done until mid-August after a three-week holdout, and it was widely speculated (even by Williams' agent) that Ricky would be traded after 2005, meaning the Dolphins would have to show him off that season in order to maximize their compensation. So could Williams have seen more time because the Dolphins were trying to show he still had something worth trading for? It's hard to say. Also consider that Dolphins GM Randy Mueller said that he felt the tailback position was a two-man job, so how much of his philosophy was taken into account by the Dolphins on game-day is unknown.

So with four years as offensive coordinator, Linehan has featured many players in the backfield. But I would contend that in Minnesota, for the most part, it was brought about by injury. In Miami, it was a rather unique circumstance. I think it's likely that Linehan simply recognizes the importance of having a deep backfield, especially since over the last three years he's had 'backs miss significant time to injury or suspension. But whether or not he actually prefers a committee approach, I'm not entirely sure.

Of course, the Rams don't have a two-back combo like Brown/Williams or Bennett/Smith on their team right now. They have Jackson, whom they seem to think can carry the load, and then they have Faulk and Fisher who are more dangerous in the passing game at this point, neither of which really appear to be starting caliber players capable of handling large doses of runs. If Linehan had a deep backfield with enough talent to have a rotation - say, like Chicago, New Orleans, or Dallas do - he might just do it. But I'm not sure I see enough talent behind Jackson to warrant a real rotation of guys. Again, we have Faulk and Fisher - Faulk is on his literal last legs, and Fisher has more career receiving TDs than he does rushing. And again, both of them only averaged four carries a game last year.

We've heard from Jackson that he's being told he's going to be more involved in this offense, and in this Bulger interview, we heard Marc say not only that the offense would feature more running but also that they want to specifically give the ball to Jackson more, adding that they can't just give him the ball 15 times. It's one thing for Jackson to be told he's going to be featured more, because that could be brushed off as the coaches telling him what he wants to hear. But when Bulger is putting that same message out, it seems to suggest that the staff actually is making an effort to feature Jackson in the running game more. Of course, Bulger goes on to say that the ability to run the ball more is directly related to the performance of the defense, so hopefully Haslett's unit is ready to help Jackson get his wish.

Wow, this response really got away from me. Sorry for the book. :down:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The only piece of the puzzle we're really left with is Linehan's history for using multiple backs - is it a preference or a situation he's somewhat painted into?
    That's certainly fair. Linehan may be prepared to give SJ the workload he wants, but it would be a change for him. Maybe it's just the injuries that have kept him from going with a feature back. Personally, I hope that's the case, because if SJ is getting his 25 carries a game, then he must be healthy....Bulger has a better chance of staying healthy....and our D must be keeping the opposition off the board.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

FORGET---ABOUT---IT !

Bennett ????? please, water boy at best.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

bennett could be a big pickup especially if faulk does not come back for one last season... he would be a great change of pace back to spell SJ and since he already knows the system the deal does not have to get done now... it can wait and see on faulk...

NawlinSaintFan is offline Registered User

Exclamation Re: Bernie: Deal in Place for Bennett

Rams | Faulk to be placed on IR
    Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:00:18 -0700

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams will be placing RB Marshall Faulk (knee) on the Injured Reserve, likely the end of Faulk's career.

MSRamman is offline Registered User

I have checked the Post-Dispatch online and it doesn't mention anything about this, nor on NFL.com or ESPN.com, not even on the Rams official website. Where did you find this?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's from KFFL.com based on these comments from Bernie himself.

rams#1 Guest

Please marshall come back, I will mow your lawn and give your wife a bath for the rest of my life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123