AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Bernie Does Not Know The Rams' Future

Seems like an obvious point, but I think it needs to be hammered in every once in a while.

This is a quote from a Bernie article dated 1/4/09:

Shouldn't the Rams be pushing hard for an interview with this year's "hot" assistant, New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo? And if money is no object, then the Rams obviously must be willing to outbid several teams for Spagnuolo.

I'm being a little facetious here.

The truth is, it's going to be difficult for the Rams to make a splash with their hire.
    After this, Bernie said little about the coaching search until last Saturday when he started discussing the imminent hiring of Jason Garrett.

The point here is that, despite their access to sources, when it comes to speculating and interpreting "signals," sportswriters often have no more insight then the average fan. They are guided by opinions, biases and ego, just like fans are.

Of course, if you say that to Bernie on his message board, don't expect to be around very long.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie Does Not Know The Rams' Future

Flippant humor? Open mouth and insert foot!

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Let's just be honest. At the beginning of our coaching search, who would have thought we would end of with the coach we did. It was not just Bernie, the national media did not give us a chance at getting any of the top coach's. Looking at the status of the team, it's players & the chance the team could be sold in the future. We got lucky and may have gotten the top coach of all of the teams.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well that is the thing Av. Nobody knows our future. Hell, I don't even think Devaney was sure we could land Spags.

You have to be in the right place at the right time. We were and we landed Spags.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

True, but Bernie and his ilk like to pretend that, because of their "inside information," they have their fingers on the pulse of what the team will do in the future.

As this examples shows... not so much.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Then why worry about it Av? I think I missed the hatred you have Bernie more than anything while I was gone. It's the exact opposite of a man-crush.

I don't hate Bernie, I just think he is everything that is wrong with sports media all rolled up into an arrogant, overweight, obnoxious, self-aggrandizing, blowhard of a wart on the face of the Earth.

Okay, so maybe I hate him a little.

Seriously though, if you're going to have the easiest job on the planet, can't you at least try to do it well rather than just phoning it in with constant blather?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

No, not a little dude. It's a festering, ever flowing, non-whimsical wake up in the morning to see how I can embarrass him more hate. I've learned to find it quite comical.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 1st & Goal View Post
    Let's just be honest. At the beginning of our coaching search, who would have thought we would end of with the coach we did. It was not just Bernie, the national media did not give us a chance at getting any of the top coach's. Looking at the status of the team, it's players & the chance the team could be sold in the future. We got lucky and may have gotten the top coach of all of the teams.
    Exactly..and if you listen to Bernie after the hire, he keeps saying he did say that and he's not sorry. Like he said, who would have known that it would have happened thsi way?
    RamsFan16

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Exactly AV, Billy sain on Bernie's show yesterday when he was telling the whole story of the head coaching search; (paraphrasing it) "Sure we had our sights on Spags from the start. Its who I wanted, but I figured that we would have a Jewish Pope before getting Spags as our head coach. I figuered that the Giants were going all the way to the Super Bowl, and we just could not afford to wait that long in getting a head coach. I am totally thrilled the way things turned out!!!" (a rough qoute from Bernie's show yesterday on AM 1380

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I love the way Spags got hired..He was my choice but didnt expect at all for him to get hired...at first it seemed like Haslett, then MAYBE Ryan, then it looked like it may of been Frazier, then (sigh) Garrett looked like he was going to be the man, then out of nowhere the news breaks that Spagnuolo is the man..Your right, even though hes what people would see as an "insider", he still doesnt know everything and is also meant to draw attention (positive or negative) to his blogs/insights.. and that goes for everyone regardless of their position..