Arrow Bernie the Dolt's Ram Bits

By Bernie Miklasz
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Saturday, Aug. 21 2004

In an interview with the Albany Times-Union, New York Giants quarterback
    Kurt Warner suggested that the Rams' 0-8 record in his last eight
    starts was more of a reflection of the team around him. Which is an interesting
    take, considering that Marc Bulger had an 18-4 record
    with the same cast. But Warner asked, "You have to say, 'Did Kurt Warner lose
    those eight games because Kurt Warner didn't play well, or did the Rams lose
    those last eight games because the team didn't play well?' I think that's where
    people sometimes get skewed in their opinion. ...I didn't play it differently.
    I still made plays in all those games. It's a team thing. When I was going
    good, my team was going great. I had great talent around me; guys who were
    making plays. When we weren't going good, we weren't playing that well as a
    team. We were making mistakes as a team; I was doing my part."

It's really unfortunate.
    Kurt's comments along these lines are why he lost so much respect in the Rams locker room. He never held himself accountable for poor play.

Memo to Orlando Pace: come on home. Your teammates need you. ...

... Peter King of Sports Illustrated ranked the Rams'
    Bulger 13th on his list of the NFL's top 15 quarterbacks.

. ... It's no surprise that the Rams demoted linebacker Tommy Polley; he was the worst player on
    the field in the playoff loss to Carolina. ...

. ... Rams running back Marshall Faulk will raise money for
    his charitable foundation by serving customers at the Clark Street Grill in the
    downtown Westin on Aug. 27 following the Rams' preseason game vs. Washington.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Bernie the Dolt's Ram Bits

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    "You have to say, 'Did Kurt Warner lose those eight games because Kurt Warner didn't play well, or did the Rams lose those last eight games because the team didn't play well?' I think that's where people sometimes get skewed in their opinion. ...I didn't play it differently. I still made plays in all those games. It's a team thing.
    I have to agree with Bernie here. When a player has this kind of attitude about something as heartbreaking as a losing season, it's no wonder that there were some problems in the locker room.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-22-2004 at 02:34 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

"What's wrong, Bob?"

"Oh, its Louie..."

"Your ram?"

"Yeah, he just doesn't seem to be eating well these days. I'm starting to get worried."

"Have you tried new improved Bernie the Dolt's Ram Bits?"

"Why no, I haven't... should I?"

"You bet. Bernie the Dolt's Ram Bits combine premium grasses with the finest in grains to give a growing ram everything he needs."

"Wow... I'll try it!"

[The next day]

"Hey, Jim... Louie's doing great, thanks to you... and Bernie the Dolt's Ram Bits!"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    . ... It's no surprise that the Rams demoted linebacker Tommy Polley; he was the worst player on the field in the playoff loss to Carolina. ...
    I guess Bernie forgot that a guy named Jason Sehorn dressed for the Rams that day? Last I checked, Polley actually had an INT that put the Rams in scoring position. Meanwhile, Sehorn whiffed on at least two big plays, one that cost us the game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I have to agree with Bernie here. When a player has this kind of attitude about something as heartbreaking as a losing season, it's no wonder that there were some problems in the locker room.
    The Rams are ancient history to him. He's got questions to answer about his last two years and he needs to give the New York press an answer that will keep them off his back. Therefore, he throws it back on the team. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. Either way, it doesn't matter. He's trying to win a spot with the Giants now, not the Rams anymore. It's disappointing, but what is he supposed to say?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I guess Bernie forgot that a guy named Jason Sehorn dressed for the Rams that day? Last I checked, Polley actually had an INT that put the Rams in scoring position. Meanwhile, Sehorn whiffed on at least two big plays, one that cost us the game.
    Exactly. How does Bernie pin that on Polley?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Polley whiffed on so many running plays against the Panthers he single handedly made Foster look like an All-Pro RB. Remember also, Polley is one of my favorite Rams. He did have an atrocious game against the Panthers.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Why is Bernie a Dolt???????????

Because he reports and says what he feels?? Not sure why Bernie sits at the bottom of the food chain in St. Louis in some peoples mind. I guess the only good reporting are those that don't speak there mind and report only the facts and not their feelings.

Why should we care about his feelings? He has no more insight than any of us. The only reason I read what he writes is because he has more access than I do to the Rams. But when he (or Hadley, or Waller, or Karraker, or anyone else outside the organization) merely speculates, postulates or intimates (hey, that was a nice Jessie Jacksonish rhyme), I find it, well, doltish.

So what your saying is that having an opinion and speculating has no room in reporting??

You said it yourself. The only reason you read Bernie is because he has more access then you. Would you not conclude then he would have a better "feel" for what is going on with the team, and thus be able to draw a better conclusion then you or me or adairan or GC or....

What makes Bernie more exciting than the other is the same reason this board is exciting. He provokes thought. He brings out the "what ifs". Any dolt can report on what's going on within the walls of Rams Park,that takes no talent in my book. Hell I can sit and watch a practice and see that a player twist an ankle. REAL GOOD REPORTING THERE! All you need is a press pass for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Why should we care about his feelings? He has no more insight than any of us. The only reason I read what he writes is because he has more access than I do to the Rams. But when he (or Hadley, or Waller, or Karraker, or anyone else outside the organization) merely speculates, postulates or intimates (hey, that was a nice Jessie Jacksonish rhyme), I find it, well, doltish.

I have nothing against a good commentary. But guys like Bernie and Hadley blur the line between reporting facts and providing commentary, and I find it annoying when I have to sift between the two.

I also find that Bernie's opinions are no more consistent than the direction of the wind.

RamTime Guest

It's no surprise that the Rams demoted linebacker Tommy Polley; he was the worst player on
    the field in the playoff loss to Carolina. ...
    This is Bernie agreeing with Martz's moves ahead of time and the Panthers game is Bernie's way of justifying it. I sure hope Martz would not demote someone for one bad game. Oh wait, He would.....

Under them same grounds then, what you are saying is there are no other opinions that matter. Just the facts. What people feel should not be said. We should only take things at face value.

Why does this board exists then?? Why is it that any forum exists?? Should we not question any sort of reporting? There is only one side to any story. There is not a big picture. This really surprises me coming from a lawyer. I really thought you of all people could see past just reporting facts.

I also feel lumping Hadley and Bernie into one sentence is being unfair. Each have something unique to offer. I will say this...who provoked more talk the last couple of months, Hadley or Howard?? Who (that we are starting to see) was right about Turley?? Who opened some doors for some answers on Faulk that we all had questions about, and forced him in the public eye. Is forcing issues bad reporting?? Or is it just smart?

To call someone stupid because they give an opinion is a dolt of an issue in it's self.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I have nothing against a good commentary. But guys like Bernie and Hadley blur the line between reporting facts and providing commentary, and I find it annoying when I have to sift between the two.

I also find that Bernie's opinions are no more consistent than the direction of the wind.

You're right that Hadley and Bernie are not exactly alike.

Hadley likes to make bold predictions - which he claims to be based on inside connections - and then crows when he's right. When he's wrong... well, can't say I've ever heard him admit that.

Bernie is more "off the cuff." Take the Polley comment. Where's the underlying facts? He gives no examples of how Polley was "the worst player on the field" against Carolina (I agree that such a designation belongs to Sehorn). And, more importantly, he merely speculates that Polley's performance against Carolina is related to his recent demotion. What's his basis for that intimation? Did Martz say something to that effect? If so, what did he say? For all we know, Polley was demoted for taking a leak on Martz's car. If Bernie was a true "insider" and not such a "dolt," maybe we'd know more.

Finally, to compare commentary from professional sportswriters to those expressed here is silly. Guys like Hadley and Bernie have the privilege of being sportswriters (many of us, including myself, could do their job as well if not better than they do). Consequently, they should be held to a higher standard and be chastised when they express opinions without sharing any of the facts that supposedly support those opinions.