• 1 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By macrammer
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Bernie: Don't Question Bradford's Toughness

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Don't Question Bradford's Toughness

Bernie: Don't question Bradford's toughness

21 hours ago ē BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

One of the silliest things Iíve heard in the aftermath of the Rams' tie at San Francisco was criticism of QB Sam Bradford for going down before he was about to be hit by the *****í Aldon Smith late in overtime.

Bradford had no escape route. There was no place to go. Smith had him trapped. If Bradford had a chance to make a play there, Iíd be among the first to criticize him for bailing out. But that wasnít the case.

Bradford did the right thing, the smart thing. He wasnít going to be able to run free. So that leaves other unpleasant and unwanted possibilities: (1) sack and fumble; (2) injury; (3) sack, fumble and injury.

Personally, I donít need to see fake tough-guy posing from Bradford. I donít need to see him do something stupid and irresponsible just to score cheap macho-man points with the loons. Bradford doesnít need to prove his toughness to me, or any reasonable and rational person.

Four quarterbacks were knocked out of games this past weekend (and Monday) with injuries, three because of concussions. NFL blitzers and pass rushers have never been bigger, stronger and faster. NFL teams throw the ball more than ever, which leaves quarterbacks more vulnerable.

This is an increasingly dangerous position, and staying healthy isnít easy. Why take unnecessary abuse? Makes no sense.

In Bradfordís three seasons he has been sacked 95 times, the third-highest total among NFL starters. Heís been hit and hurried more frequently than any other QB. Bradford gritted his teeth and played through a debilitating ankle injury in 2011, willingly putting himself at risk by limping around out there behind a weak offensive line.

Despite absorbing so much punishment since entering the NFL, Bradford has never begged off or copped an excuse.

There are aspects to Bradfordís game that should be scrutinized or criticized, but his toughness isnít one of them.

Thanks for reading ...

ó Bernie

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie: Don't Question Bradford's Toughness

I agree with Bernie completely.

Wait a second...

I.... agree... with.... Bernie... completely??!?!!?!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RamDez, live4ramin, Judaxi and 2 others like this.

Hell freezes over?

I also agree completely with Bernie here, and would add that not only is it silly for some to come down on Bradford for hitting the turf when he had no place to go, but for doing something that ALL NFL quarterbacks are forced to resort to in similar situations.
    RamDez likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Hell freezes over?

I also agree completely with Bernie here, and would add that not only is it silly for some to come down on Bradford for hitting the turf when he had no place to go, but for doing something that ALL NFL quarterbacks are forced to resort to in similar situations.
    Many long Ram fans remember all to well the phantom sack against the very same team....I know I am a bit senstive in this regard
    RamDez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Many long Ram fans remember all to well the phantom sack against the very same team....I know I am a bit senstive in this regard
    That's fine mac, but let's not pretend every QB from Manning to Brady hasn't done the same thing Bradford did.

mh-i is offline Registered User

30-3. I lost $50. Everthing changed on one play in one game. Jim Everett as a Ram BS and AS.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Holy obviousness Batman, Bernie is right again.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Oh yeah, I remember the "phantom sack" of Jim Everett well. I went from the euphoria of watching the Rams beat both the Giants AND the Eagles (How great is THAT living in Jersey??) only to suffer the insult of watching their loss to SF. Nine years of futility followed.

Everett's play was the result of him being rattled all afternoon. Bradford's play was calculated to avoid a disastrous turnover when nothing was there. Can't fault Sam one bit for his decision and certainly don't question his toughness.
    Curly Horns, Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember the "phantom sack" of Jim Everett well. I went from the euphoria of watching the Rams beat both the Giants AND the Eagles (How great is THAT living in Jersey??) only to suffer the insult of watching their loss to SF. Nine years of futility followed.

Everett's play was the result of him being rattled all afternoon. Bradford's play was calculated to avoid a disastrous turnover when nothing was there. Can't fault Sam one bit for his decision and certainly don't question his toughness.

I always felt bad for Jim....liked him quite a bit and he got a bad rap for that one play......
    your view is spot on....as I said, just a bit sensitive (even after all of the therapy ) in regards to a Ram QB and the Whiners....but not questioning the toughness of our QB.

shower beers is offline Registered User

If I remember correctly, Smith ran the classic "blitz up the middle" that we don't ever seem to have an answer for, and was practically untouched. There was no way that Sam would have had time to get a throw off in the offense we were running at the time. Just take a look at Alex Smith earlier to see that it's sometimes ok to just take the sack.