Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Bernie: Faulk Still Reeling From 'Being Cheated'

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Bernie: Faulk Still Reeling From 'Being Cheated'

Faulk still reeling from 'being cheated'

1 hour ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist

NEW ORLEANS — Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk admits it: he’s still not over the Rams “being cheated” in a bitter loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 36.

The game was played here, in Faulk’s hometown. And Sunday’s Super Bowl between San Francisco and Baltimore will be the first played at the Superdome since the Patriots upset the “Greatest Show” Rams 20-17.

"Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss,” Faulk told Tom Curran of CSNNE.com. “But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl.”

In the interview with Curran, Faulk initially claimed that he had only pleasant memories of competing in the Super Bowl because he only dwells on the 1999 Rams’ victory over Tennessee in the 34th Super Bowl.

Curran, however, told Faulk that Patriots fans believe he’s still ticked off over losing to New England and as a result his disdain comes across in his Patriots-related commentary on the NFL Network.

“They misunderstand,” Faulk said. “Am I over the loss? Yeah, I'm over the loss. But I'll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl. That's a different story. I can understand losing a Super Bowl, that's fine . . . but how things happened and what took place.”

What took place: a former Patriots employee accused the Patriots of videotaping the Rams’ walkthrough at the Superdome on the day before Super Bowl 36. But after investigating, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell ruled there was no evidence of the Patriots’ taping the Rams.

To this day, some Rams players and coaches from the 2001 team believe they were wronged and that the NFL covered up the Patriots’ tactics to avoid additional embarrassment for the league.

"If you lost a game and your brother cheated you," Faulk told Curran, “you'll remember that.”

The walkthrough allegation was an extension of the “Spygate” scandal that got the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick in big trouble with the NFL. After handing down punishments that included $750,000 in fines and the loss of a first-round draft pick, in bringing the matter to a close, Goodell curiously ordered the destruction of all Spygate evidence.

“Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them,” Faulk said, “but if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don't burn 'em.”

Goodell later said he destroyed the tapes because what they showed was “totally consistent with what the team told me.” He added, “It is something done widely in many sports. I think it probably had limited, if any effect, on the outcome of games.”

That wasn’t good enough for Faulk, who had more to say. Let’s just say he’s suspicious. The alleged taping supposedly happened when the Rams were lining up to fine-tune the red zone offense that was part of the plan against New England.

“I understand Bill (Belichick) is a great coach,” Faulk told Curran. “But No. 13 (Kurt Warner) will tell you. Mike Martz will tell you. We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn't ran (before.) I think we got to fourth down, and we ran three plays that we hadn't ran, that Mike drew up for that game - Bill's a helluva coach . . . we hadn't ran them the whole year.”

(Translation: Faulk was saying that the Patriots were ready to defend those plays.)

“It's either the best coaching in the world when you come up with situations that you had never seen before,” Faulk said. “Or you'd seen it and knew what to do.”

(It should be noted that the Rams were 1 for 1 in their red zone opportunities during the game.)

Faulk later softened his stance by praising the New England franchise including owner Robert Kraft. But he wasn’t done with Spygate just yet. And he compared the gravity of Spygate to the “Bountygate” sanctions that included a one-year suspension of New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton.

Faulk said: “Am I bitter about how that went? Am I bitter about how the league handled them taping people? If Bountygate was that bad and Sean got suspended for a whole year? If we want to talk about some unfair assessment of how we're assessing things? Man.”

The Rams lost despite outgaining the Patriots 427-267.

Faulk left out a few things:

• Mike Martz’s playcalling was awful. The Patriots lined up in a nickel or dime defense with extra pass defenders on 75 percent of the Rams’ plays. Belichick correctly concluded that Martz wouldn’t have the patience or discipline to stick with running the football. Indeed, the Rams attempted 47 passes and only 22 runs.

• The Rams were a minus 3 in the turnover ratio. Kurt Warner was intercepted twice, and one of the picks was returned for a touchdown by Ty Law on arguably the game’s biggest play. Wide receiver Ricky Proehl lost a fumble, which was rare for him. The Patriots didn’t commit a turnover.

• New England’s pick six originated at the line of scrimmage, with Rams’ right tackle Rod Jones missing a block on blitzer Mike Vrabel, who slammed into Warner as he released the throw. The ball fluttered easily into Law’s arms. Moments later the Patriots had a 7-3 lead with 8:49 left in the second quarter. What’s notable about this was Martz’s decision to bench Ryan Tucker and go with Jones at RT even though Tucker played decently in 2001. Jones was terrible.

• Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith had his unit play soft on the Patriots winning field goal drive instead of trying to put some heat on the young quarterback Tom Brady.

• If the Rams have a beef, it’s with the officiating. Belichick told his defenders to clutch, grab, hold and otherwise impede the Rams receivers — and knock down Faulk when he circled out of the backfield to catch passes. Belichick wisely understood that the NFL officials wouldn’t want to litter the Super Bowl with frequent penalty flags and dull the entertainment with frequent stoppages.

It was a smart play by Belichick that paid off immediately when Torry Holt was held on the Rams’ opening drive. Holt couldn’t reach a deep pass that would have gone for an easy touchdown. The obvious penalty was ignored, and the Patriots had even more motivation to mug Rams receivers the rest of the day. In one of the most comical and preposterous statistics in Super Bowl history, the Patriots were penalized only five times for 31 yards. But I don’t blame Belichick for that. His strategy was brilliant. The officiating crew wimped out, and that’s on them.

But in my opinion, more than anything the Rams blew the game because of coaching errors and turnovers.

Thanks for reading…

— Bernie
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bernie: Faulk Still Reeling From 'Being Cheated'

I don't blame Faulk for feeling that way, and I agree with him, but... for my own sanity... I've moved on.
    RealRam likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

No Ram fan will truly be over it. What are the chances of me posting the Superbowl win and this coming out today? Gheez, talk about a coincidence.

Oh yeah, and how many rings have the Patriots won since their little spygate crap came crashing down?.....
    lordwhttgr likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

In a way, the fact they've had to endure being beaten by the Giants on miracle plays twice helps make up for it. Not to mention the look on Brady's face when he threw that last interception in the last super bowl. Priceless. I could watch that a few hundred times over.
    MoonJoe, UK Ramfan 83 and Agrajag like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    • The Rams were a minus 3 in the turnover ratio. Kurt Warner was intercepted twice, and one of the picks was returned for a touchdown by Ty Law on arguably the game’s biggest play. Wide receiver Ricky Proehl lost a fumble, which was rare for him. The Patriots didn’t commit a turnover.

• New England’s pick six originated at the line of scrimmage, with Rams’ right tackle Rod Jones missing a block on blitzer Mike Vrabel, who slammed into Warner as he released the throw. The ball fluttered easily into Law’s arms. Moments later the Patriots had a 7-3 lead with 8:49 left in the second quarter. What’s notable about this was Martz’s decision to bench Ryan Tucker and go with Jones at RT even though Tucker played decently in 2001. Jones was terrible.
    I am glad they chose this play to highlight, as it key evidence that the officials helped the cheatroits win that game. This "pick six" was called back... Oh, wait a minute, it wasn't... for a clear blow to the head on the QB. The blow to the head (backed up by camera footage) happened right where the Ref was looking. He was looking right at the hit on Kurt Warner, and he didn't even flinch.

• Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith had his unit play soft on the Patriots winning field goal drive instead of trying to put some heat on the young quarterback Tom Brady.
    Another one I am glad they brought up. Brady was tackled IN BOUNDS on this drive, but the officials still stopped the clock to give them time to get in FG range. Not to mention the 3 seconds they burned off the clock after the FG to prevent a KR for a TD.

• If the Rams have a beef, it’s with the officiating. Belichick told his defenders to clutch, grab, hold and otherwise impede the Rams receivers — and knock down Faulk when he circled out of the backfield to catch passes. Belichick wisely understood that the NFL officials wouldn’t want to litter the Super Bowl with frequent penalty flags and dull the entertainment with frequent stoppages.

It was a smart play by Belichick that paid off immediately when Torry Holt was held on the Rams’ opening drive. Holt couldn’t reach a deep pass that would have gone for an easy touchdown. The obvious penalty was ignored, and the Patriots had even more motivation to mug Rams receivers the rest of the day. In one of the most comical and preposterous statistics in Super Bowl history, the Patriots were penalized only five times for 31 yards. But I don’t blame Belichick for that. His strategy was brilliant. The officiating crew wimped out, and that’s on them.

But in my opinion, more than anything the Rams blew the game because of coaching errors and turnovers.

Thanks for reading…

— Bernie
    Sorry bowl movement, but that is not brilliant strategy, that is blatant disregard for the integrity of the game. belicheat is not brilliant, he his a flat out peice of crap that only wins because the leage doesn't apply the same rules to the cheatroits that they apply to the team on the other side of the ball.

Am I bitter? H3LL YEAH!!! And it gets worse with everything I read that gives him credit for being a winning coach. He was a turd before the NFL needed a patriot team to raise country moral. And he is more of a turd today.

gap

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Like AV said, it's better to move on. The Pats were beyond beatable during that time and it was because we had an idiot HC relying too much on the passing game even when it wasn't working. When Vermeil won his Super Bowl, his gameplan revolved around Faulk but was shut down by Fisher's Titans so he adjusted with the passing game. If Martz had half the brain to utilize Faulk in the game during that time, we could've won that game.
    live4ramin likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

“I understand Bill (Belichick) is a great coach,” Faulk told Curran. “But No. 13 (Kurt Warner) will tell you. Mike Martz will tell you. We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn't ran (before.) I think we got to fourth down, and we ran three plays that we hadn't ran, that Mike drew up for that game - Bill's a helluva coach . . . we hadn't ran them the whole year.”

(Translation: Faulk was saying that the Patriots were ready to defend those plays.)

“It's either the best coaching in the world when you come up with situations that you had never seen before,” Faulk said. “Or you'd seen it and knew what to do.”

(It should be noted that the Rams were 1 for 1 in their red zone opportunities during the game.)
    Ooops. Sort of invalidates all of that BS above. Don't let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, though.
    The Rams lost despite outgaining the Patriots 427-267.
    and yet for 1-for-1 in the redzone where the Pats had supposedly filmed all those "new plays" and all that the other stuff.

Faulk left out a few things:

• Mike Martz’s playcalling was awful. The Patriots lined up in a nickel or dime defense with extra pass defenders on 75 percent of the Rams’ plays. Belichick correctly concluded that Martz wouldn’t have the patience or discipline to stick with running the football. Indeed, the Rams attempted 47 passes and only 22 runs.

Bernie really nails it here with the obvious, something Rams' fans have seemingly ignored forever. Rams simply got out-coached in the SB and couldn't adjust when whining constantly to the refs didn't work at all. There weren't the adjustments to the fact that the refs were going "let them play" and the D didn't wasn't stellar while the team itself was -3 in turnovers. That's how you lose games, folks.

It also signalled how to beat the Rams: grab a hold of the WR's, jam them hard, play physical, and they'll let off the gas. The Rams then were built for speed and didn't like contact whatsoever so give them all the contact the officials will allow. If you're not getting penalized, keep beating on them. That's one reason why a lot of your top WR's these days don't take a knee before contact like Holt and Bruce did back then are also a lot bigger guys who can fight CB's instead of whine.
    Last edited by bradwill; -01-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

"Reeling" ?! Didn't come across that way to me; maybe somewhere between wry & cynical.

As always the cover-up was probably worse than the crime.Maybe the taping helped in the SB but I doubt it mattered as much as all the other factors well-enumerated in the posts above. However, the destruction of the tapes is positively Orwellian.
    bradwill likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

We lost. It sucked and I was very let down by that game. I am sure that the Patriots did in fact pull some unethical stunts but at the end of the day, i think Martz just blew it. If he called the game right, utilizing Marshall, we would have won that SB. Time to move on.
    bradwill likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I have to agree that the game was lost not because of some film, or some ridiculous conspiracy theory, it was because of Mike Martz. He blew it with his inability, or unwillingness to adjust to what the Patriots were doing. Pretty freakin' smart if you ask me, to disrupt the one thing that made the Rams what they were. Alter the Rams timing patterns, and hit Warner every chance they had. Instead of involving MF more and taking the heat off of Warner, Martz stayed with his game plan and it cost him. Turnovers, and a defense that couldn't stop Brady when it had to didn't help either.

I think of that game every time I see Martz's face....
    NJ Ramsfan1 and bradwill like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

I have still, even though I was at the game, never watched the tape
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Yea, Martz blew it .............................. outgaining the Patriots 427-267 get real.
    Curly Horns and laram0 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Yea, Martz blew it .............................. outgaining the Patriots 427-267 get real.
    Martz did indeed blow this. Driving up and down the field on a team means nothing if you can't score points. And the Rams did absolutely nothing to get on the scoreboard until the 4th quarter.

The reason why Martz, in my view deserves the lion's share of the blame is because of his unwillingness and impatience in making adjustments to his game plan. With New England dropping 7 deep into coverage, do you think it may have been wise to utilize the Hall-of-Fame back you have in the backfield a bit more?? Faulk's lack of use in this game was a disgrace- and typical of Martz' often pig-headed, hell-bent approach to offense. He did some unbelievable things during his time as Rams O-Coordinator, but also drove me insane with some of the decisions made out of sheer stubbornness. Though he had plenty of company, he didn't do a good job in the Super Bowl- and the bloom came fully off the rose shortly thereafter.

I was in New Orleans and will never forget the complete and utter disappointment I felt that day and still feel as I look back. To be 13 point favorites and lose the biggest game in sports is as tough as it gets- an inexcusable loss. Just an awful day.
    bradwill and Flippin' Ram like this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Martz did indeed blow this. Driving up and down the field on a team means nothing if you can't score points. And the Rams did absolutely nothing to get on the scoreboard until the 4th quarter.

The reason why Martz, in my view deserves the lion's share of the blame is because of his unwillingness and impatience in making adjustments to his game plan. With New England dropping 7 deep into coverage, do you think it may have been wise to utilize the Hall-of-Fame back you have in the backfield a bit more?? Faulk's lack of use in this game was a disgrace- and typical of Martz' often pig-headed, hell-bent approach to offense. He did some unbelievable things during his time as Rams O-Coordinator, but also drove me insane with some of the decisions made out of sheer stubbornness. Though he had plenty of company, he didn't do a good job in the Super Bowl- and the bloom came fully off the rose shortly thereafter.

I was in New Orleans and will never forget the complete and utter disappointment I felt that day and still feel as I look back. To be 13 point favorites and lose the biggest game in sports is as tough as it gets- an inexcusable loss. Just an awful day.
    Well said and I 100% agree. This was a gigantic upset and the Rams were unfortunately on the wrong side of that and should have never been.

Horrific coaching from Martz all-around as a HC and not just offense. He and his staff didn't prepare the Rams whatsoever for the Patriots and it showed that day. FAIL is the only word I can describe that game with.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I'm down with RamDez. The Rams got screwed and Belicheat is, well, a cheat. Issac Bruce told me that they could not figure how the Cheatriots knew what plays they were running. Well, now we know and the NFL rolled over (Could not prove Cheatriots cheated but fined Belicheat. Hello!) I'm over it, but love to see Belicheat and the Cheatriots get their come-up-ance whenever it happens. Go Ravens!
    RamDez and lordwhttgr like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast